I got broken into :(

Homes and Retreats
HomeHardener

Re: I got broken into :(

Post by HomeHardener »

grenfell wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:59 pm I had a customer broken into a few years ago. Entry was by the very unsubtle method of throwing a garden ornament through the patio door. It's almost impossible to lock everything away for the burglar who doesn't come equipped. Just think how many potential missiles a log store contains for instance.
I’ve got window security films on all the ground floor windows, so although not impenetrable, not as easy to get through as a ‘standard’ double glazed window
@Homehardening_uk
HomeHardener

Post by HomeHardener »

Zedsdead wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:35 pm Fwiw if you run a good bead of silicone up either side of each fence panel that will hold them well!
I now have three security brackets on each post, so a total of 6 on every panel, it won’t stop them but it’ll be more difficult to bypass than the previous 2 per panel!
Last edited by HomeHardener on Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
@Homehardening_uk
HomeHardener

Post by HomeHardener »

jansman wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:28 pm Bloke that tried to break our house picked on the wrong one. I opened the door on him and smashed his face with my 3 cell maglight. Crap torch,but great club! His mate fled,but crashed through the pyrocanthus at the top of the yard,and was picked up by the police dog handler,shredded to bits! Justice.The bloke I smashed got a kicking too. The police were great about it,as they were known scumbags.

Please note that taking the law into your own hands and defending yourself is not endorsed by this post. :lol:
I wish I had this opportunity! Although there was three of them (I tracked their exit route and pulled cctv from the houses that had it on their route to the van where they loaded it up) I might not have won the battle but I’d have put up a bloody good fight! My only worry would be as stated in a later post, they know where you live so you risk them coming back
@Homehardening_uk
HomeHardener

Post by HomeHardener »

Mad Scientist wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:17 am Good going Jansman! 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼 Glad the police were ok I’ve heard so may stories of people defending themselves only to have the police having a go at them!
After my incident, the police didn’t give a dam! They basically said unless you have the suspects faces, names, blood type and DNA samples… nothing we can do…. I wasn’t at all surprised at there lack of wanting to help
@Homehardening_uk
HomeHardener

Post by HomeHardener »

jansman wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:16 pm
Vitamin c wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:47 pm So their known scum Bags you have got them nicked and smashed one in the face .
1 charged with what nocking on your door
2 thay know where you live so tomorrow or 6 months you get a visit .

Just ring cops and let them deal with it.
It's their job .
Ha ha.Trying to break in my friend.They had already forced entry next door.And this is a decade and more ago. Local youths.One eventually was stabbed to death over a drug debt I believe,and the other is in and out of prison ( my wife teaches his children).

I used to be a bit of a lad, but I have slowed right down now.Got Her Majesty’s Armed Forces training to thank for my survival instinct and love of self preservation.Thanks Liz! Trouble is,sometimes you can be faced with situations where a swift decision has to be made. Hopefully it’s not a situation I will experience again.I really mean that.Unfortunately,when someone has intent to break in and rob,assault or worse ( My wife and two daughter were upstairs,but I don’t have to state the obvious do I?) ringing Plod ain’t gonna cut it! You are lucky in this rural area if there is one squad car to 30 villages.

In the meantime,it’s security lights,cctv,alarms and since that incident,beefed up doors and frames.the broken glass on the wall they came over helps too! :lol: :lol: :lol:
As much as I’d avoid violence where possible (I’ve changed a bit since my younger years) like you, If they’d gained entry, protecting my partner and 2 year old would now be priority! I’d do anything required to stop them.
@Homehardening_uk
jansman

Post by jansman »

Age changes you,for sure. You certainly become wiser . As you suggest though ,some situations require a certain response.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

HomeHardener wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:56 pm
grenfell wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:59 pm I had a customer broken into a few years ago. Entry was by the very unsubtle method of throwing a garden ornament through the patio door. It's almost impossible to lock everything away for the burglar who doesn't come equipped. Just think how many potential missiles a log store contains for instance.
I’ve got window security films on all the ground floor windows, so although not impenetrable, not as easy to get through as a ‘standard’ double glazed window
We've got some on at least some of ours too. We fostered for a time and part of the safety review was to provide the film for any glass cabinets in the house which we covered but then just decided to use the rest upon any windows we thought might be vulnerable. Works best on smooth surfaced glass. I did cover some flemish which it did but was more troublsome. We've laminated glass in one door too. Thankfully this type of entry isn't the thieves preferred way of entry due to the noise and potential cutting hazards.
HomeHardener

Post by HomeHardener »

grenfell wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:52 am
HomeHardener wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:56 pm
We've got some on at least some of ours too. We fostered for a time and part of the safety review was to provide the film for any glass cabinets in the house which we covered but then just decided to use the rest upon any windows we thought might be vulnerable. Works best on smooth surfaced glass. I did cover some flemish which it did but was more troublsome. We've laminated glass in one door too. Thankfully this type of entry isn't the thieves preferred way of entry due to the noise and potential cutting hazards.
Still nice to know that you’ve got a bit more time to react with the film fitted though. There’s some real serious level films out there but I didn’t want to take it too far incase if a fire and needing to evac etc
@Homehardening_uk
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

To have gone to the trouble of lifting a fence panel out to gain entry they know what they were going for. Was it something they could have seen you using or could you neighbours have talked about what you have stored in your shed?
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....