I got broken into :(

Homes and Retreats
jennyjj01

Re: I got broken into :(

Post by jennyjj01 »

HomeHardener wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:46 pm Slightly embarrassed more than anything, I was stupid enough to truly believe my house was almost impenetrable (I appreciate nothing is impenetrable, if someone wants something they’ll get it)
Has anyone had any experience in having been broken into and how they improved their security without being too obvious?
Damn. sorry to hear it.
Not from experience, but it did dawn on me a while back that the spade and mattock in the shed would be great tools to use to gain entry to the rest of the castle, so they got migrated to the more secure garage and I cursed myself for not thinking of that sooner. Gotta realise that Billy burglar won't care what damage he causes to gain entry.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I had a customer broken into a few years ago. Entry was by the very unsubtle method of throwing a garden ornament through the patio door. It's almost impossible to lock everything away for the burglar who doesn't come equipped. Just think how many potential missiles a log store contains for instance.
Zedsdead

Post by Zedsdead »

Fwiw if you run a good bead of silicone up either side of each fence panel that will hold them well!
jansman

Post by jansman »

Bloke that tried to break our house picked on the wrong one. I opened the door on him and smashed his face with my 3 cell maglight. Crap torch,but great club! His mate fled,but crashed through the pyrocanthus at the top of the yard,and was picked up by the police dog handler,shredded to bits! Justice.The bloke I smashed got a kicking too. The police were great about it,as they were known scumbags.

Please note that taking the law into your own hands and defending yourself is not endorsed by this post. :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:28 pm Bloke that tried to break our house picked on the wrong one. I opened the door on him and smashed his face with my 3 cell maglight. Crap torch,but great club! His mate fled,but crashed through the pyrocanthus at the top of the yard,and was picked up by the police dog handler,shredded to bits! Justice.The bloke I smashed got a kicking too. The police were great about it,as they were known scumbags.

Please note that taking the law into your own hands and defending yourself is not endorsed by this post. :lol:
Drop a Cree led "bulb" upgrade in it then you can dazzle them first before they stumble :lol:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193713130602 ... Sw8A1fir8S
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Ps and the batteries will last forever :lol:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Mad Scientist

Post by Mad Scientist »

Good going Jansman! 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼 Glad the police were ok I’ve heard so may stories of people defending themselves only to have the police having a go at them!
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

So their known scum Bags you have got them nicked and smashed one in the face .
1 charged with what nocking on your door
2 thay know where you live so tomorrow or 6 months you get a visit .

Just ring cops and let them deal with it.
It's their job .
Fill er up jacko...
jansman

Post by jansman »

Vitamin c wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:47 pm So their known scum Bags you have got them nicked and smashed one in the face .
1 charged with what nocking on your door
2 thay know where you live so tomorrow or 6 months you get a visit .

Just ring cops and let them deal with it.
It's their job .
Ha ha.Trying to break in my friend.They had already forced entry next door.And this is a decade and more ago. Local youths.One eventually was stabbed to death over a drug debt I believe,and the other is in and out of prison ( my wife teaches his children).

I used to be a bit of a lad, but I have slowed right down now.Got Her Majesty’s Armed Forces training to thank for my survival instinct and love of self preservation.Thanks Liz! Trouble is,sometimes you can be faced with situations where a swift decision has to be made. Hopefully it’s not a situation I will experience again.I really mean that.Unfortunately,when someone has intent to break in and rob,assault or worse ( My wife and two daughter were upstairs,but I don’t have to state the obvious do I?) ringing Plod ain’t gonna cut it! You are lucky in this rural area if there is one squad car to 30 villages.

In the meantime,it’s security lights,cctv,alarms and since that incident,beefed up doors and frames.the broken glass on the wall they came over helps too! :lol: :lol: :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
HomeHardener

Post by HomeHardener »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:27 pm
HomeHardener wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:46 pm Slightly embarrassed more than anything, I was stupid enough to truly believe my house was almost impenetrable (I appreciate nothing is impenetrable, if someone wants something they’ll get it)
Has anyone had any experience in having been broken into and how they improved their security without being too obvious?
Damn. sorry to hear it.
Not from experience, but it did dawn on me a while back that the spade and mattock in the shed would be great tools to use to gain entry to the rest of the castle, so they got migrated to the more secure garage and I cursed myself for not thinking of that sooner. Gotta realise that Billy burglar won't care what damage he causes to gain entry.
Although I do keep a few gardening tools in my shed, the shed is now alarmed, so if the initial noise from the bell box Dosent deter them, it’ll wake me and the dogs up! But good advice!
@Homehardening_uk