I got broken into :(

Homes and Retreats
HomeHardener

I got broken into :(

Post by HomeHardener »

Slightly embarrassed more than anything, I was stupid enough to truly believe my house was almost impenetrable (I appreciate nothing is impenetrable, if someone wants something they’ll get it)

However I totally overlooked a vital floor in my security, which turned out to be my neighbours lack of security (garden behind mine) who’s gate isn’t kept locked, so after spending 4 hours in the area, the thieves walked through her open gate, lifted my fence panel (I had security plates fitted on them which specifically stop this, but they snapped them off) and hey presto they were in.

It was the shed that was broken into, my three dogs didn’t even batter an eyelid so they must have been quiet!

Despite the thieves only being interested in ONE thing that was in my shed, I’m so glad I don’t keep my preps there (although I’m not as stocked up as I used to be)

I’ve since upped my security further, but I’m on a new build development, so I’m limited to how far I can go without standing out too much and MAKING my house a target

Has anyone had any experience in having been broken into and how they improved their security without being too obvious?
@Homehardening_uk
Yorkshire Andy

Re: I got broken into :(

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Self contained battery alarms are good for sheds if you don't have a mains supply... Not catastrophic loud but enough to put many off...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Defender-Wirel ... 8293&psc=1

I've had this for 5 years or so now bar the original magnet been naff swapped for a cheap screw on job it does the job

If I rattle the door/ lock it goes off I'm happy with it for the price
Attachments
Screenshot_20211127-212747.png
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Sorry to hear that. Remember to be vigilant as thieves tend to return once the Insurance firms have paid out. :evil:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
HomeHardener

Post by HomeHardener »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:28 pm Self contained battery alarms are good for sheds if you don't have a mains supply... Not catastrophic loud but enough to put many off...

I've had this for 5 years or so now bar the original magnet been naff swapped for a cheap screw on job it does the job

Thanks for the info! I did look into this route but ended up going for a full house alarm system with a motion detector placed in the shed too!
@Homehardening_uk
HomeHardener

Post by HomeHardener »

pseudonym wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:49 pm Sorry to hear that. Remember to be vigilant as thieves tend to return once the Insurance firms have paid out. :evil:
Thank you! It’s stressed the mrs out more than me, Home insurance didn’t cover ‘as it wasn’t a brick building’

But I have since upped my security measures across the home and I’be beefed up the vulnerable area (the lady who’s gate isn’t locked couldn’t see the harm in it, I can’t make her do anything) so I doubled the amount of fence security brackets, along with longer screws so the panels can’t be lifted as easily/will take more time and covered the area behind the shed in gravel (more noise, more change of detecting an intruder earlier)
@Homehardening_uk
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

HomeHardener wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:53 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:28 pm Self contained battery alarms are good for sheds if you don't have a mains supply... Not catastrophic loud but enough to put many off...

Thanks for the info! I did look into this route but ended up going for a full house alarm system with a motion detector placed in the shed too!

was the house alarm set at the time?

I thought about it and a stand alone coveres the shed when it's shut...

we were a "victim" about 4 1/2 years back of a attempted shed heists we had been putting a new pond in and I was clagged in Sierra hotel India tango .. liner in .. fish back in plants re basketed and I dived in the shower.left the shed door blowing in the wind..... Whilst I was in the bathroom excessive banging on the front door scrote asking if "bingbong" was in.. the wife answered the door in her dressing gown she had stripped off in the kitchen stuffing her clothes in the washer said try opposite as bingbong might live there but he didn't go across the road she mentioned it to me when she came to scrub my back :lol: . I was out like a shot undried looking out the back bedroom saw his mate hopping the fence from the allotment to next door.... Scrambled some boxers on took the stairs In about 2 bounds exited the back door axe in hand and set about splitting fire wood grinning at his mate who was on overwatch on the footbridge 15 minutes for plod to answer 999 wife was upstairs by that point after keeping low for 5 mins the chap did a record 100m sprint

My parents were the victim of a attempted break-in 6/11 this month .. not sure what put them off was it the CCTV system glowing at them or the locked gates or the fact they were home with the light glowing from the kitchen window ....
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Sorry to hear this, HomeHardener, I'm glad that at least you're okay. It sounds like strengthening the security of your own fence is all you can do. Gravel is good. Do you have an automatic light back there? Though they definitely get triggered by foxes etc.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Sheds are always the weak spot on any property,sadly. Mine are covered by approach lights and the stand- alone alarms that Yorkshire Andy mentioned. Along with reinforcing doors and taking out glass windows, it’s all you can do. As the economy starts to slide,I fear we shall see more of this type of crime.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I had a shed broken into some years ago. I've added extra locks , shutters to the windows and hinges have through bolts rather than just screws. There's a security light and a camera and I've let the hawthorn hedge grow and wound barbed wire through it too. That is the hedge bordering farmland. The weak point is similar to yours in that a potential intruder could gain access via the neighbours although one has cameras and both have security lights. Should someone still get in one other thing i have done is to scrap any manufacturers tool boxes and replaced them with tatty looking plywood boxes which don't appeal. Works for tools in the van too.
Just to add on a more pessimistic note about the comment that if someone wants to get in they will. A friend of mine had a scooter ( the petrol engined type not the kids sort) and he chained it to a bin in the garage. Thieves got in and didn't mess around trying to seperate them , they stole both bike and bin.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

This is something I've wondered for ages, and it's time I said it on here. Knowing what crimes are committed now, and what the reported crime rates roughly are, when the Slow Collapse intensifies, those things are going to get worse. Property crime and assault, sexual and otherwise.