Rising energy prices mitigation

Homes and Retreats
jansman

Re: Rising energy prices mitigation

Post by jansman »

Here is ( or was) advice from an energy company if you cannot afford your heating.

Ovo Energy sorry over advice to cuddle pets to stay warm https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59946622

Someone got paid for that. You couldn’t make it up! :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

jansman wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:10 am Here is ( or was) advice from an energy company if you cannot afford your heating.

Ovo Energy sorry over advice to cuddle pets to stay warm https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59946622

I got that email as I'm with SSE who are part of Ovo. I did a lot of :roll: :roll: :roll:
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Yes I heard that mentioned on the news today along with the recommendations to do star jumps and eat porridge. On one hand some of it has a certain amount of logic and sense, eating and wearing more , doing more physical activity and so on , it's basically what our ancestors did living in their largely unheated houses. However , perhaps it's a sense of entitlement , that some feel it's their right to be able to sit in their house in the depths of winter in a tee shirt and see this advice as patronising or condescending. With the wholesale rise in energy prices there are limited actions that can be taken. Pay more or use less. There does seem to be some who are basically calling for energy prices to be in effect subsidised by the government which I don't really see as a long term approach.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:10 am Here is ( or was) advice from an energy company if you cannot afford your heating.

Looks like we are on coal tonight :lol:
Screenshot_20220112-190247.png
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

I think compounding the general issue is that some of us are now working at home full time, and it's not practical to sit at your computer bundled up like a toddler in a snow suit. I need to be warm, comfortable and have full use of my arms so that I can actually write, type and move my mouse around! :lol:
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:14 pm

What are you looking at and do we need to be concerned?!
jansman

Post by jansman »

grenfell wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:06 pm Yes I heard that mentioned on the news today along with the recommendations to do star jumps and eat porridge. On one hand some of it has a certain amount of logic and sense, eating and wearing more , doing more physical activity and so on , it's basically what our ancestors did living in their largely unheated houses. However , perhaps it's a sense of entitlement , that some feel it's their right to be able to sit in their house in the depths of winter in a tee shirt and see this advice as patronising or condescending. With the wholesale rise in energy prices there are limited actions that can be taken. Pay more or use less. There does seem to be some who are basically calling for energy prices to be in effect subsidised by the government which I don't really see as a long term approach.
Spot on.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

itsybitsy wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:17 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:14 pm

What are you looking at and do we need to be concerned?!
Me and jansman had discussed the black start mothballed power stations before..

Coal = those dirty old power stations they are trying to close are currently held in reserve in use as there's a great big lump of high pressure over a good chunk of the UK and the windmills won't go round with no wind across the south . Until recently round here we were holding Eggbrough in reserve but that's now a pile of rubble .
Screenshot_20220112-204325.png

It's dark so solar does nothing..

https://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

Be interesting tomorrow morning as demand starts to increase to see where the electric is coming from..
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

If you get cashmere or anything from a mountaineering/hillwalking type shop then that will be light and very warm, not bulky.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

diamond lil wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:57 pm If you get cashmere or anything from a mountaineering/hillwalking type shop then that will be light and very warm, not bulky.
I'm going to see if I can get an inexpensive gilet, so I'm warm but my arms can breathe (and move :lol: ).