Rising energy prices mitigation

Homes and Retreats
Nurseandy

Re: Rising energy prices mitigation

Post by Nurseandy »

diamond lil wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:22 am A discussion that involves an upside down pail at the back door Andy? :mrgreen:
Would love to lil but had to sell the pail to pay the electricity bill :lol:
jansman

Post by jansman »

Just picked up a week’s worth of firewood from my woodworking neighbour on the way back from work. I’ll keep at it ‘til the tree huggers ban it and plunge us all into cold and darkness.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jenny1

Post by jenny1 »

I live on my own so there are no complaints about the cold. :D I have been sitting in the front room with a duvet covering me so I dont have to put the electric radiator on. I do have a wood burning stove but I am trying to cut back on all heating use to conserve the wood for if we have a really bad winter. About four months ago sse raised my electric price and my summer bill went up 19% so I have been trying to cut back on electrical costs. I wouldnt mind but most of my bill is the standing charge so there isnt really a lot that I can do to cutback.
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

Cutting back
Jumpers
Or just not heating your home is a bad response I remember when I moved in with my girlfriend leaving my house unheaten over winter OK first year but second lots of my furniture and walls went mouldy and the place felt damp I ended lighting a fire every time I went there to collect mail.
It only helped a bit, stopping it happened when I moved back in and that took a long time.
Fill er up jacko...
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

My central heating boiler has been out of action for a week - I had an appointment with The Man today, and all is fine. I wasn't expecting any problems - it's only October, I have a convector heater for emergencies, I didn't live with central heating till my mid-20s (normal for those days, if a little bit late) but I really didn't like it :lol: when I'm back on an even keel (lots going on this week that I didn't plan for) I'll be having a think.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Vitamin c wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:52 am Cutting back
Jumpers
Or just not heating your home is a bad response I remember when I moved in with my girlfriend leaving my house unheaten over winter OK first year but second lots of my furniture and walls went mouldy and the place felt damp I ended lighting a fire every time I went there to collect mail.
It only helped a bit, stopping it happened when I moved back in and that took a long time.
A steady temperature ( not necessarily boiling!) is good for a building, and also for cardiac health I believe. Of course, it is inevitable that some people will not have a choice.
https://www.cse.org.uk/advice/advice-an ... and-health

Robert Frost.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I lived through a hellish bad winter at 300 metres asl, next door to a couple who had no money at all and a baby. He was reduced to chopping up his furniture and burning it. His freezer was full of poached salmon and nothing else. (I did a trade for a tub of ice cream and a bag of coal.) I would absolutely HATE anybody else to have to live like that. :evil:
jansman

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:03 pm I lived through a hellish bad winter at 300 metres asl, next door to a couple who had no money at all and a baby. He was reduced to chopping up his furniture and burning it. His freezer was full of poached salmon and nothing else. (I did a trade for a tub of ice cream and a bag of coal.) I would absolutely HATE anybody else to have to live like that. :evil:
Lil,you are like Jan and me. Last year our neighbour was on his uppers. He overlooks our garden and can see our extensive log piles. He messaged Jan and asked if we could ‘ lend’ some fuel until he had a payment into his bank. We helped him . He has a good job now,and two weeks ago,he invited us round for a VERY nice meal by way of thanks. He told us that he would never forget our kindness. So be it.

Robert Frost.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

:mrgreen: How things should work. perfect.
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

I'm having the woodburner lit as much as possible, unfortunately unlike our last place it's really undersized and theres not really a way of fitting a bigger one without it intruding on the room too much, hence it running flat out most of the time and chews through the fuel. Not paid for wood for the fire ever though since moving to the South, I just burn whatever is left over from work, i can get a load of scrap timber from one of the loft jobs dropped off if I get desperate as it only costs them to dispose of it anyway.
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....