Rising energy prices mitigation

Homes and Retreats
Quill

Re: Rising energy prices mitigation

Post by Quill »

Low-tech magazine just released an interesting article about using hot water bottles to bring down energy usage - https://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2022/01 ... ottle.html
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Quill, what a great article! NB one of the first items shown, the "foment can" was made in Sefton or Southport (Kenworthy, the maker, had a hydropathic hotel at Southport, apparently). It really hadn't occurred to me to use my hot water bottles, I've got two but they're both quite old.

If the electricity is still on and someone's not using it because of the insane expense, there's also these things, which are usually heated in the microwave. They could also be put at the side of the cooker or something, I suppose? https://wheatybags.co.uk/?msclkid=fc001 ... solidated which may become preferable, because they're made from materials that can be sourced locally. I got one as a present once, and the stuff inside that holds the heat was actually cherry stones.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

The outdoor cat gets a hot water bottle on a cold night under a old towel she knows it's coming and tries to curl up on in the second it hits the shed floor
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Awh Andy that's nice, I used to do that for the stray ginger tom we had living in the shed. I always keep hot water bottles in the house, nothing beats them for warmth where you need it, like sore tummies or backs.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

diamond lil wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:44 pm Awh Andy that's nice, I used to do that for the stray ginger tom we had living in the shed. I always keep hot water bottles in the house, nothing beats them for warmth where you need it, like sore tummies or backs.
Shes welcome to come in the house but decides she likes the quiet life she's got a insulated box in one shed and in the other a pile of old pillows and towels to curl up on plus a hot water bottle
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:20 pm
diamond lil wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:44 pm Awh Andy that's nice, I used to do that for the stray ginger tom we had living in the shed. I always keep hot water bottles in the house, nothing beats them for warmth where you need it, like sore tummies or backs.
Shes welcome to come in the house but decides she likes the quiet life she's got a insulated box in one shed and in the other a pile of old pillows and towels to curl up on plus a hot water bottle
Even nicer! Good for you.
Quill

Post by Quill »

Arzosah wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:16 pm Quill, what a great article! NB one of the first items shown, the "foment can" was made in Sefton or Southport (Kenworthy, the maker, had a hydropathic hotel at Southport, apparently).
That website in general is fab, really interesting perspective. Oh neat!
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Thanks for finding that article - although it makes me feel old.
In recent years we have used the "cold water botttle" routine in heat waves by freezing a partly filled 2l lemonade bottle of water, wrapping it and taking it to bed. It made a huge difference.
As a kid we all had electric blankets - used before bedtime to warm up the bed or were sent to bed with a well wrapped hot water bottle in cold weather. Getting dressed happened downstairs in front of the fire for the tinies
It is a good reminder for me. We had a power outage last week for a few hours and it made me realise that keeping warm would be our biggest challenge in a longer outage. Heating bricks or water downstairs on the BBQ would be one way to add more warmth if blankets and layers are not enough.
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

As a kid growing up on a south London council estate with a coal fire in the living room and a paraffin heater at the top of the stairs that was it cold bedrooms hot kitchen when cooking otherwise cold coats on beds ice on windows in mornings.
Its all i knew and it was no different for anyone else i knew.

I now believe its where we're heading again.
Fill er up jacko...
jansman

Post by jansman »

Vitamin c wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:04 am As a kid growing up on a south London council estate with a coal fire in the living room and a paraffin heater at the top of the stairs that was it cold bedrooms hot kitchen when cooking otherwise cold coats on beds ice on windows in mornings.
Its all i knew and it was no different for anyone else i knew.

I now believe its where we're heading again.
Yes, you could be right. Over the coming decade or two, I reckon anyone who can use fuel as ‘we’ do now in society, will be a wealthy person. Time will tell.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.