Home security

Homes and Retreats
Medusa

Home security

Post by Medusa »

Frantic knocking on the front door tonight from next doors daughter. Her Dad was in the process of moving cars on the drive and someone had taken advantage and tried to steal one whils ther Dad moved the other and her Dad had got into an altercation with the wanna be thief. Wannabee did a runner, causing criminal damage to a house further down the road. On reviewing our CCTV we saw thief trying other our neighbour's car doors and then moving swiftly on to our adjoining neighbour's vehicle. He gave a cursory glance to our drive and probably saw the gravel drive and the CCTV (we think anyway), but didn't enter the garden despite there being 3 vehicles there. Thankfully he was under the influence of something and was causing issues in the local pub and takeaway and was caught shortly afterwards and our CCTV footage has been passed to the Police along with another neighbour's near to where the criminal damage was caused. I am really glad that I pushed for us to get CCTV and an alarm system and have the drive replaced with gravel. Just need to get another security light up down the driveway and new driveway gates and I will be a little happier. CCTV footage was interesting to watch though.
Growing old disgracefully!
Nurseandy

Re: Home security

Post by Nurseandy »

Whoa! Scary stuff. Glad no one was hurt but that does shake you. Good that neighbors daughter knew to come to you.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Medusa wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:48 pm Frantic knocking on the front door tonight from next doors daughter. Her Dad was in the process of moving cars on the drive and someone had taken advantage and tried to steal one whils ther Dad moved the other and her Dad had got into an altercation with the wanna be thief. Wannabee did a runner, causing criminal damage to a house further down the road. On reviewing our CCTV we saw thief trying other our neighbour's car doors and then moving swiftly on to our adjoining neighbour's vehicle. He gave a cursory glance to our drive and probably saw the gravel drive and the CCTV (we think anyway), but didn't enter the garden despite there being 3 vehicles there. Thankfully he was under the influence of something and was causing issues in the local pub and takeaway and was caught shortly afterwards and our CCTV footage has been passed to the Police along with another neighbour's near to where the criminal damage was caused. I am really glad that I pushed for us to get CCTV and an alarm system and have the drive replaced with gravel. Just need to get another security light up down the driveway and new driveway gates and I will be a little happier. CCTV footage was interesting to watch though.
Was only saying last night that the dark nights are here now and out come the theaving scrotes . .

If you get gates made make sure the hinges are set so you can't lift them off ..

Guy round the corner lost his gates to the local "scrap metal experts" .. they tried to get my parents at the other side of town the same week fortunately I'd welded washers on top of each hinge pin .. they'd yanked so hard they bent the gate and the steel plate (sort of gate post) that the gates hinges are welded to, had begun to come away from the wall :twisted:

Bit of heat and a hammer we straightened the gates added some extra tags and longer fixings to the gate posts then bashed some small ball bearings into the heads of the fixings so you can't just unscrew them

The large solar street light gives a nice background light out if you can get it high enough ideally the panel needs to be elevated slightly facing south

Out of stock atm it's way bigger than it looks I've got mine mounted on some bathroom waste pipe to see how it does over winter before I make a steel pole and bracket for it if it's any good ... So far so good :lol:

https://www.manomano.co.uk/p/240w-234-l ... -container
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Medusa wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:48 pm I am really glad that I pushed for us to get CCTV and an alarm system and have the drive replaced with gravel. Just need to get another security light up down the driveway and new driveway gates and I will be a little happier.
Turns out that was a really good decision! I'm glad all ended well.
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:45 am If you get gates made make sure the hinges are set so you can't lift them off ..
Oh! My gate fell off a post that had decayed, and when I had my fencing done a while back, I got the fencer to re-instal a post - but yes, the gate can literally be lifted off it. It's a pedestrian-sized one, not one meant for a vehicle to get through, but even so, it's very heavy. Still though but ... doable, for sure. I'll have a think about that.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Arzosah wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:39 am
Medusa wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:48 pm I am really glad that I pushed for us to get CCTV and an alarm system and have the drive replaced with gravel. Just need to get another security light up down the driveway and new driveway gates and I will be a little happier.
Turns out that was a really good decision! I'm glad all ended well.
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:45 am If you get gates made make sure the hinges are set so you can't lift them off ..
Oh! My gate fell off a post that had decayed, and when I had my fencing done a while back, I got the fencer to re-instal a post - but yes, the gate can literally be lifted off it. It's a pedestrian-sized one, not one meant for a vehicle to get through, but even so, it's very heavy. Still though but ... doable, for sure. I'll have a think about that.
Depending on the hinge type the traditional type if you install the top hinge hook upside down you can't lift it off ;). Most of the weight will hang on the bottom hinge but any side force will still be on the top pin

grenfell

Post by grenfell »

One thing that always makes me smile is where people will turn the to hinge upside down , put on bolts and padlocks but ignore the slotted in fence panel next to it.
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

It's the down side to living in a home for real security try a fort or castle.
😉
Fill er up jacko...
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

grenfell wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:53 pm One thing that always makes me smile is where people will turn the to hinge upside down , put on bolts and padlocks but ignore the slotted in fence panel next to it.
Turning the hinge upside-down stops them nicking the gate..... If they want In badly enough, they'll find a way. All you can do is make it less easy then the place down the road.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Vitamin c wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:11 am It's the down side to living in a home for real security try a fort or castle.
😉

C'est un lapin,
HolyGrail067.jpg

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:30 pm
grenfell wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:53 pm One thing that always makes me smile is where people will turn the to hinge upside down , put on bolts and padlocks but ignore the slotted in fence panel next to it.
Turning the hinge upside-down stops them nicking the gate..... If they want In badly enough, they'll find a way. All you can do is make it less easy then the place down the road.
That's it .. if your bothered a few little wooden wedges or some galvanized packing banding linking panels together put a stop to that... Then again a 6ft vertilap take some lifting