Scotland houses new smoke alarm rules..

Homes and Retreats
Yorkshire Andy

Scotland houses new smoke alarm rules..

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-58268855.amp

Fire alarmIMAGE SOURCE,GETTY IMAGES
In six months' time Scotland will become the first UK nation to legally require every home to have interlinked smoke alarms.

The legislation was introduced in 2019 following the Grenfell disaster but was delayed until 2022 due to the coronavirus pandemic.

But what does it mean for homeowners?

Why is this new legislation being brought in?
Changes to the Housing (Scotland) Act are being made in the wake of the Grenfell Tower fire in which 71 people died. It will ensure that everyone in Scotland has the same level of protection whether they own or rent their home.

Who does it affect?
The most rigorous standards currently apply to new-build and private rented housing. But from February next year, the legislation will apply to all property owners, including those who own private homes.

What are the requirements of the new legislation?
Every home must have the following:

one smoke alarm installed in the room most frequently used for general daytime living purposes
one smoke alarm in every circulation space on each storey, such as hallways and landings
one heat alarm installed in every kitchen
All alarms should be ceiling mounted and interlinked. Where there is a carbon-fuelled appliance (such as boilers, fires - including open fires - and heaters) or a flue, a carbon monoxide detector is also required - this does not need to be linked to the fire alarms.

How do the fire alarms work?
Interlinked alarms are connected so when one goes off they all go off, alerting people wherever they are in a house.

Who is responsible for installing the alarms?
It will be the property owner's responsibility to pay for and install the alarms.

Electrician fitting a smoke alarm
IMAGE SOURCE,GETTY IMAGES
Image caption,
Alarms that are connected to the mains need to be fitted by a qualified electrician

How much will it cost?
It is estimated that for an average three-bedroom house, which requires three smoke alarms, one heat alarm and one carbon monoxide detector, will be about £220.

This is based on using alarms that can be installed without the need for an electrician. These must be tamper-proof, long-life lithium battery alarms.

However, there are also alarms that can be connected to the mains which are cheaper but have to be installed by a qualified electrician which will incur an additional cost.

When do I need to do this work?
The legislation comes into force in six months, in February 2022, and the Scottish government is encouraging everyone to install the alarms at the earliest opportunity.

Can I be prosecuted for not having the alarms in my house?
It will not be a criminal offence not to have the alarms fitted. Local authorities are officially responsible for enforcing the legislation but they will not be going into peoples' homes to inspect them and will not be issuing fines.

The Scottish government said councils could require homeowners to carry out work, but it did not expect them to go beyond advising property owners about fire alarms.

The government will use statistics from the Scottish House Condition Survey to assess overall compliance at a local authority level. Compliance will also form part of any Home Report when homes are put on the market.

Are the alarms I already have good enough?
The requirement is to have all alarms interlinked so people in the house will be alerted immediately.

What type of carbon monoxide alarm do I need?
The carbon monoxide alarm must have a sealed battery for the duration of its operational lifespan, which may be up to 10 years.

Is financial assistance available for those who can't afford to install these alarms?
The Scottish government has given the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service £1m to install the alarms in the homes of people assessed to be at high risk from fire. The government is also providing £500,000 to help disabled and older people meet the criteria.

Will not having the alarms installed affect my home insurance?
Different home insurance policies provided by different insurers will have varying terms and conditions which a homeowner must comply with in order for their home insurance to be valid.

Homeowners should get in touch with their home insurer to check whether the new requirements will be specifically included in their policy.

Is this only happening in Scotland?
Scotland is so far the only UK nation to require every home to have interlinked alarms.

What do the government and fire service say?
Alasdair Perry, of the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service, said: "Having the earliest possible warning of a fire in the home can, and has, saved lives and property. Having interlinked alarms installed will allow everyone, anywhere in the house to take action as quickly as possible."

Housing Secretary Shona Robison said the interlinked alarms would "significantly reduce the risk of injury or death", by giving residents more time to escape a fire.
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
diamond lil

Re: Scotland houses new smoke alarm rules..

Post by diamond lil »

We've got these. HA tiny wee house the size of a large walk-in wardrobe. Kitchen alarm goes off when I burn the toast, A second later the hall alarm joins in, then the livingroom... by which time everybody in the cul de sac is so paralysed by sheer sound that they're totally unable to function at all. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

diamond lil wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:07 am We've got these. HA tiny wee house the size of a large walk-in wardrobe. Kitchen alarm goes off when I burn the toast, A second later the hall alarm joins in, then the livingroom... by which time everybody in the cul de sac is so paralysed by sheer sound that they're totally unable to function at all. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

We've got the regulation one on each floor English standard for rental homes... I've put stand alones in every room on top of what's fitted I've even doubled up for the lounge as that one is out of date and the powers that be say it's fine :lol:

the walls are that thin there's no need for interconnected :lol:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

We have no need for connectivity either. Our cottage ain’t a sprawling affair! We have a lithium alarm in each room ( except kitchen), one at the bottom of the stairs, one at the top. Carbon monoxide alarm in each living room ( wood stoves). We also have a dog who can detect the slightest overheating/ burning of cooking. When he does, he stands under the nearest smoke alarm, and barks his head off. If it DOES go off, he goes berserk!

We also have extinguisher in kitchen and fire blanket, extinguishers at bottom and top of stairs.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I know how the dog feels. i go berserk too at the racket ours makes! :lol: :lol: :lol:
jansman

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:16 pm I know how the dog feels. i go beserk too at the racket ours makes! :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.