Article of the new rules around wood and coal burning for home heating

Homes and Retreats
PreppingPingu

Article of the new rules around wood and coal burning for home heating

Post by PreppingPingu »

For those who with use as a main heat source or those preppers who have it as a back up, I thought this might be worth while posting. (Tho I'm sure if you use wood and coal as your main fuel source, you know this already! :D )

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/h ... d=msedgntp
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
jansman

Re: Article of the new rules around wood and coal burning for home heating

Post by jansman »

PreppingPingu wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:40 pm For those who with use as a main heat source or those preppers who have it as a back up, I thought this might be worth while posting. (Tho I'm sure if you use wood and coal as your main fuel source, you know this already! :D )

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/h ... d=msedgntp
Certainly aware. I actually took part in the government consultation on this matter. Foregone conclusion!

I reckon open fires and stoves will be banned withi ten years. Cutting firewood tomorrow.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
peejay

Post by peejay »

I knew there were changes on the way but hadn't been keeping up with it. Bit of a pain as I was planning on buying a bag of two of coal just to keep as emergence fuel as I have a reasonable stock (and supply) of wood fuel currently but we're peppers & plan for when such fuel isn't readily available.

I guess this puts the kaibosh on a bag or two, unless I club together with someone local to me & buy 2m worth to distribute between us I s'pose...
jansman

Post by jansman »

peejay wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:46 pm I knew there were changes on the way but hadn't been keeping up with it. Bit of a pain as I was planning on buying a bag of two of coal just to keep as emergence fuel as I have a reasonable stock (and supply) of wood fuel currently but we're peppers & plan for when such fuel isn't readily available.

I guess this puts the kaibosh on a bag or two, unless I club together with someone local to me & buy 2m worth to distribute between us I s'pose...
Right then :D ; You cannot now buy traditional bituminous coal in pre pack form.

You CAN buy bituminous coal in 50 kg open sacks delivered by a merchant for the next two years,or until his stocks are gone. You can still burn existing stocks of coal until gone - which I will do.

You cannot buy those silly , very expensive nets of logs,unless they are certified as kiln dried,and have a certain moisture content. I forget what that is.

You CAN buy 2m cube of logs UNSEASONED,but it has to come with instructions as to how to dry it!

I hope that makes it clear.

I have been ‘trialling’ smokeless coal,along with my elderly neighbour . I bought a few bags,he is getting it from the merchant in open sacks.Same price per kilo either way ( Mine comes from the same merchant,but his delivery promises are too unreliable,and I am a busy bloke :lol: ).Although it is more expensive (45p per kg as opposed to 32.5p for bituminous),it DOES burn hotter and for longer. So my neighbour and I have concluded it won’t be so bad a shift,particularly as there is next to no ash residue. The remaining coal I have - about 300 kg - contains a lot of shale and slag,which takes up valuable bin space.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

I wish i had an open fire. Bastard housing department blocked all our estates open fires up when they renovated 🙄
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Prepping on a small island
jansman

Post by jansman »

Jerseyspud wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:24 am I wish i had an open fire. Bastard housing department blocked all our estates open fires up when they renovated 🙄
The council estate I was brought up on has next to no open fires now- only the oldies who have always lived there. I guess it is a safety/ landlord thing.

Robert Frost.

Me.