Out of interest home security

Homes and Retreats
Bosworth

Re: Out of interest home security

Post by Bosworth »

Weapons. Obviously. I know we can’t talk about it but weapons. Surely the most self evident answer out there?
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Bosworth wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:55 pm Weapons. Obviously. I know we can’t talk about it but weapons. Surely the most self evident answer out there?
Yes. But defending a fort is a rubbish proposition. There are limits to how many defenders inside and no limit to the time and resources of those outside. Doesn't every fort fall for that reason?
Best you can do is present an unworthy target compared to your neighbours. And as neighbours fall, then your turn gets closer. You can get smoked out, burned out, starved out or fall by many other means. Apart from leaving a few corpses of previous attackers on your lawn, you will be an ever more intriguing target. True defence would need neighbours to work together and we know what a PITA a hungry neighbour can be.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Composite doors.... Watch the police programs even they have had to resort to chain saws to get in as the big red key just bounces off .... There's me thinking if I was a naughty man and expected the police to come knocking. Duct taping some chainsaw trousers across the door about 1/4 from the top would stop that method for a bit

As for glazing as and when the current double glazed units need replacing it might be worth looking at laminated plus toughened units laminated outside toughened inside

https://www.starglaze-windows.com/blog/ ... ted-glass/
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:40 am Composite doors.... Watch the police programs even they have had to resort to chain saws to get in as the big red key just bounces off .... There's me thinking if I was a naughty man and expected the police to come knocking. Duct taping some chainsaw trousers across the door about 1/4 from the top would stop that method for a bit

As for glazing as and when the current double glazed units need replacing it might be worth looking at laminated plus toughened units laminated outside toughened inside

https://www.starglaze-windows.com/blog/ ... ted-glass/
You know,that idea with chainsaw trousers is inspired! I have a spare pair :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:58 pm

You know,that idea with chainsaw trousers is inspired! I have a spare pair :lol:
I was just sat watching one of the police raid a drug den type program or fireman Sam gets into a burning shop musing over their methods ...

You see it in a different light as in how to keep someone out

over the years they've altered their methods. From sledge hammers to lock snapping to chainsaws... There's me thinking that once Billy burglary sees the police methods they are usually quick to copy... A local clothes shop got raided a few years back Stihl saw straight through the shutters... As I'd previously seen on a fireman Sam saves the burning shop type of program.. A buy your gold shop got done over a weekend they put scaffolding up then debris netting before cutting themselves a hole in the back wall of the shop like the underground vault high vis vests builders van the lot.

Mate of mine opened a shop in town. A good few years back selling high value sports kit .... I helped him secure it along with his brother in law who was a sparky ... We had some fun...

He had grills made by a local steel fabrication nothing too substantial they slid into angle bar tracks on the wooden window frames locked in place with a couple of padlocks .....

On the underside of the interior sills we fitted viper shock sensors along with a few pir detectors high up looking over the interior... bang the shutters hard enough off goes the alarm

Standard old shop wooden door extra pad bolts top and bottom....

Back fire door similar shock and door sensors..

Nothing too state of the art.....

But his brother in law had got hold of a master blaster from a bank refit a relayed mains powered air raid siren hidden inside by the door in a vented cubby which we cut the bottom out of

https://www.powersaver.co.uk/masterblas ... alarm.html

Coupled with a old nightclub high output strobe cannon mounted among the display spotlights but aimed at the front door on its fastest setting again relayed to the alarm outputs.... Subtle didn't really stand out other than it wasn't lit up (well It would)

Bit like this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/flashing-flash ... 2697&psc=1

Two weeks after opening... He'd given the person in the flat above his number Incase the alarm goes off yep phone call.. one attempt only snapped one shutter padlock before the blitz kicked off at 3am... Was also picked up on CCTV as the strobe lit the street :lol: plod was called by CCTV two very bemused coppers one not happy about the amount of noise or the flashing light but it did the trick...... shock and awe

jansman

Post by jansman »

Magic! :D

Robert Frost.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:21 pmMagic! :D
Had no more attempts after that bar an attempted snatch of a decent mountain bike whilst he was open .... He had a long 10m or so length of high tensile wire rope with a simple metal eyelet screwed on the wall at each end and a padlock to fix passed through the back wheels .. The display of bikes tumbled as they attempted to grab a bike and run as the cable pulled tight dragging bikes off their little display stands all caught on his CCTV system on VHS tape (remember those) :lol: (one holding the door open so his mate could get out... Or so they hoped...

Well police not interested as they got away with nothing... He showed a few big regulars the footage... Apparently one of bloke sent his apologies a few hours later (draw your own conclusions) :twisted: but they got some power bars and powdered muscle maker as a thanks :lol:

jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:39 pm
jansman wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:21 pmMagic! :D
Had no more attempts after that bar an attempted snatch of a decent mountain bike whilst he was open .... He had a long 10m or so length of high tensile wire rope with a simple metal eyelet screwed on the wall at each end and a padlock to fix passed through the back wheels .. The display of bikes tumbled as they attempted to grab a bike and run as the cable pulled tight dragging bikes off their little display stands all caught on his CCTV system on VHS tape (remember those) :lol: (one holding the door open so his mate could get out... Or so they hoped...

Well police not interested as they got away with nothing... He showed a few big regulars the footage... Apparently one of bloke sent his apologies a few hours later (draw your own conclusions) :twisted: but they got some power bars and powdered muscle maker as a thanks :lol:
Security has become an issue again here.Next door’s jungle of a garden is now clear. That 200’ strip of brambles was a fantastic barrier to scrotes getting over the wall two gardens down and into mine.When I first built the workshop many years ago,there was an attempt to bust it open at 7pm one January.My old collie cross lurcher was lying on the settee next to me,his ears pricked and he started growling.I knew something was wrong ( he was as good a guard dog as he was a hunting dog). I let him out the back door,and two youths flew to the top of my garden and tried to clear the wall.One did.One didn’t.Sid,my dog,had him by the leg! Well,I told him to “leave” which he did,and I had a go! :lol: I kicked his ar#e down to the yard and the Mrs had called plod. I stood scrote against the wall and told the dog to “stay” - I only had to click my tongue and the dog would have him ( it’s how we hunted quietly at night).

Plod turned up,established nothing was nicked ( door was damaged though) and promptly asks the youth ( with whom the constable was on first name terms) if he wanted to press charges against me! :roll: I replied, “ you are f****** joking?” and the copper told me to stop using bad language.On my own sodding property! Anyhow the youth said he would consider it,and went on his way. The following evening my brother and me ‘ bumped’ into him on the car park of the pub he drank in. A little chat :mrgreen: persuaded him it would be a bad health choice if I was prosecuted.

These days,security means approach lights,good locks and motion sensor cameras to our phones.Still wouldn’t mind my old dog back though,bless him...

Robert Frost.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jansman wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:38 am Plod turned up,established nothing was nicked ( door was damaged though) and promptly asks the youth ( with whom the constable was on first name terms) if he wanted to press charges against me! :roll: I replied, “ you are f****** joking?” and the copper told me to stop using bad language.On my own sodding property!
Is it any wonder, we feel the need to be our own defenders? The scrote needed a damned good 'falling over multiple times'.... And the youth too. :)
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

Lots of interesting tips ...
But remember the question when the shtf
Most probably no police help on way probably no way of contacting them and looters with that knowledge so what ever you do nobody's comming to arest them thay can make as much noise as thay wish and take their time.

In our world now we rely on cameras alarms sensor lights in a shitf world a bit different I believe.
Fill er up jacko...