Out of interest home security

Homes and Retreats
Jerseyspud

Out of interest home security

Post by Jerseyspud »

Morning everyone

I was wondering how you would secure your home in case of shtf. Not weapons as I know the rules on that

But more how would you make your home a fortress.

I live on a housing estate slightly out of the main town here up a hill. So I don't think we would be the first port of call for looting but maybe second or third wave.

My only idea so far was to duct tape up the window on the front door so no one could break the glass to unlock the door (turn knob rather than key on the other side) and block up the lounge window. But I'm wondering if anyone has any advice further to that

Thank you :)
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Prepping on a small island
pseudonym

Re: Out of interest home security

Post by pseudonym »

Start immediately, don't get loads of items delivered to your house. People notice packages.

Keep your curtains closed. they can't see in to case the joint.

Remove addresses and item descriptions from rubbish. People go through it.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Cocotte

Post by Cocotte »

Some simple reinforcements for the doors, like extra long screws can make a massive difference. Also dogs are an excellent diversion, but nothing beatings knowing your neighbours and a strong sense of community.

There are 3 main approaches,
1 appear well secure, solar powered spots (£30 lidl or Home Bargains), real or fake security cameras, rolling top fence, multiple shiny keyholes on the front and back door, etc...
2 appear to be a dirt cheap shit hole not worth going into. Asbestos warning tape across the doors, drawing cracks on the windows with skinny left overs from bars of soap. Leave weeds and long grass outside of your veg patches.
3 blend in. Nothing over the top or stand out in your area. If it's a house proud area, keep the house painted, if it's a neglected area, skip the paint. A few extra metal plates around the locking mechanisms, barriers to prevent tools sneaking in to the gaps under or around doors. Keep ladders out of reach for outsiders, make sure your doors are locked and any extra keys are impossible to find on the outside of your property. Of course don't get the European outward opening doors, just because they can't be kicked in, they're illegal in the UK because the fire brigade needs to be able to force their way inside your property.

1 can make you appear to have stuff worth stealing.
2 makes you and neighbours hate outside your home.
3 takes time and a lot of research into small features.
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

Many thanks for your suggestions I will take them under advisement

Over here we have a parcel locker system so anything I order online goes to that. I do get shopping delivery from local online shopping here but will keep in mind how it looks to neighbours

I'm in social housing on a fairly rough estate so all the houses look rough from the outside
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

If you've got double glazed doors with euro cylinders check they are bsi kitemarked with three stars *** or a diamond (anti snap) rated euro snapping is a very common MOE for scrotes
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Not trying to be rude but do you own or rent ? (I know Jersey has some 'interesting' rules on property)
That makes a difference as to what you can do.

However, measure up your windows and have precut boards (marked so you know which one goes where) stashed somewhere you can get to them. If you need to board up all your windows (weather event or something darker) you're GTG, or as is more likely, when you need to board up a broken one you won't have to mess about at stupid o'clock sawing plywood (or have to hand over your firstborn to an approved tradesman )
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:17 pm Not trying to be rude but do you own or rent ? (I know Jersey has some 'interesting' rules on property)
That makes a difference as to what you can do.

However, measure up your windows and have precut boards (marked so you know which one goes where) stashed somewhere you can get to them. If you need to board up all your windows (weather event or something darker) you're GTG, or as is more likely, when you need to board up a broken one you won't have to mess about at stupid o'clock sawing plywood (or have to hand over your firstborn to an approved tradesman )
I rent from the states. Hence why its a bit of a rough estate. I know I can't do anything pre shtf but was thinking what I could do quickly post or during shtf. I like the idea of measuring up the windows and having plywood in the shed to put over quickly thank you

Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

An alternative to relatively expensive plywood (and you could apply now) would be self adhesive plastic sheet on the windows. There's a variety available designed to stop the glass shattering (but it will still crack) if a toddle cycles into or (heaven forbid) a half brick is thrown at it.
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

An alternative to relatively expensive plywood (and you could apply now) would be self adhesive plastic sheet on the windows. There's a variety available designed to stop the glass shattering (but it will still crack) if a toddler cycles into or (heaven forbid) a half brick is thrown at it.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Jerseyspud wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:11 am Morning everyone

I was wondering how you would secure your home in case of shtf. Not weapons as I know the rules on that

But more how would you make your home a fortress.
One thing that can be an easy win is to fit some anti-snap locks
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=15547&p=176226&hilit=locks#p176200
They can make your house the last choice for a visit by Billy Burglar or looter.
Look for easy wins: Assume that a looter with a jemmy would not think twice about smashing your biggest glass door.

If you anticipate needing to board up windows, then get some boards cut in preparation and invest in some big screws. There's the interesting question as to whether to board internally or externally.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=16119&p=184358&hil ... ng#p184355
If it were to be a fortress building exercise, then I'd tend towards painting the boards black for boarding internally, which is pretty discreet but still a good obstacle. Assume Lenny Looter would use your own rockery or the spade from your shed as tools to get in your house. So secure the shed and lose the concrete garden ornament.

Ultimately, fortifying a home is a pretty lost cause. Just try to be last in line for your home to be under attack. Don't have conspicuously expensive defences. Big dog might be the best value solution.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong