bayonet fitting light bulbs

Homes and Retreats
Yorkshire Andy

Re: bayonet fitting light bulbs

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Bosworth wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:43 pm Interesting. I inferred from your post that there was an issue with the imports rather than a structural/design issue with screw fittings. That is really interesting.

The issue is those adaptors can fit the bayonet fitting 2 Ways round one way round it's as safe as can be as live goes to the centre pin which unless you stick your finger in the hole without a bulb is safe....

180° round however the live connects with the shroud that holds the bulb and that's the dangerous part as when the bulb base touches the thread the bulbs screw base becomes live
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:50 pm
Plymtom wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:46 pm In another life I was an electrician, Yorkshire Andy is right ( A knowledgeable chap in general), I have to say, unless you know what you're doing and what not to touch, turn off the lighting circuit at the consumer unit when changing lamps especially ES ones, even if you only get a tingle you could easily fall off the ladders ;)

Won't mention that I got a belt off the cooker isolator at the weekend :oops: ... Was looking a bit Mankey. Misted with kitchen spray then the damp cloth...... Not enough to trip the RCBO but a reminder not to be complacent or silly ;)
Our lecturer ( well one of them) used to say if you were confident ( voltage trips) that you had done it right, the trip would in theory cut the juice before you felt anything if you touched a live wire, he then asked the class if they would care to prove his statement -- he got a unanimous £$^& off :D
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Plymtom wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:24 pm
Plymtom wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:46 pm In another life I was an electrician, Yorkshire Andy is right ( A knowledgeable chap in general), I have to say, unless you know what you're doing and what not to touch, turn off the lighting circuit at the consumer unit when changing lamps especially ES ones, even if you only get a tingle you could easily fall off the ladders ;)

Won't mention that I got a belt off the cooker isolator at the weekend :oops: ... Was looking a bit Mankey. Misted with kitchen spray then the damp cloth...... Not enough to trip the RCBO but a reminder not to be complacent or silly ;)

Our lecturer ( well one of them) used to say if you were confident ( voltage trips) that you had done it right, the trip would in theory cut the juice before you felt anything if you touched a live wire, he then asked the class if they would care to prove his statement -- he got a unanimous £$^& off :D
:lol: :lol: :lol: I would reply the same. A couple of weeks ago I installed another double socket in the workshop. Now I am normally very vigilant about isolating live circuits, but this time I got an almighty belt! We have a bang up to date consumer box,and it did it’s job well... but not before I said a rude word or two. :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:50 pm
Plymtom wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:24 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: I would reply the same. A couple of weeks ago I installed another double socket in the workshop. Now I am normally very vigilant about isolating live circuits, but this time I got an almighty belt! We have a bang up to date consumer box,and it did it’s job well... but not before I said a rude word or two. :lol:

Followed by flapping shocked arm trying to get some feeling in it :lol: I was lucky I'd taken a load of washing to the tumble in the shed so was in a pair of safety wellies which probably reduced the flow to ground through my body to a none rcd tripping level that and follow the "how to reset a MCB course :lol: " I had my free hand in my pocket so wasn't leaning on the cooker so no flow across the heart

Totally off topic jansman Thursday 18th Aldi have fishing kit in hope they get the down sleeping bags In again ;)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

I’ll check Aldi out. Cheers buddy.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Ahastyatom

Post by Ahastyatom »

My Aldi also does the bayonet led bulbs. I think they were £2-£3 each.
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

What frustrates me for work is that we can no longer buy the old filament bulbs

We use desk lamps for a good few practicals and need filament bulbs rather than led so when our stock has gone that's it
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Prepping on a small island
jansman

Post by jansman »

Jerseyspud wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:42 pm What frustrates me for work is that we can no longer buy the old filament bulbs

We use desk lamps for a good few practicals and need filament bulbs rather than led so when our stock has gone that's it
It’s old technology though. And that’s coming from me! When we got rewired we went LED. The lamps last virtually forever. We have spares,but nothing like the quantity we had to carry when we had filaments. The damned things were always blowing.

Sadly, everything is changing at a rate of knots.Here at Chez Jansman we are primarily heated by solid fuel. Along with wood,we use bituminous coal. It’s relatively cheap and packs a punch - but within a couple of years it will be banned.We have to adapt to the situation. Eventually, gas will be banned. That will really chuck a spanner in the works! We have to adapt.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

jansman wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:33 pm
Jerseyspud wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:42 pm What frustrates me for work is that we can no longer buy the old filament bulbs

I kmow. Just unfortunatly we will have to change our practicals once we run out of bulbs. Which will hopefully be a long time away as I'm rather good at finding them at charities and boot sales when they are running

It’s old technology though. And that’s coming from me! When we got rewired we went LED. The lamps last virtually forever. We have spares,but nothing like the quantity we had to carry when we had filaments. The damned things were always blowing.

Sadly, everything is changing at a rate of knots.Here at Chez Jansman we are primarily heated by solid fuel. Along with wood,we use bituminous coal. It’s relatively cheap and packs a punch - but within a couple of years it will be banned.We have to adapt to the situation. Eventually, gas will be banned. That will really chuck a spanner in the works! We have to adapt.
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Prepping on a small island
jansman

Post by jansman »

Jerseyspud wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:57 pm
jansman wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:33 pm

I kmow. Just unfortunatly we will have to change our practicals once we run out of bulbs. Which will hopefully be a long time away as I'm rather good at finding them at charities and boot sales when they are running

I totally understand.

Robert Frost.

Me.