bayonet fitting light bulbs

Homes and Retreats
Bosworth

Re: bayonet fitting light bulbs

Post by Bosworth »

Jerseyspud wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:42 pm What frustrates me for work is that we can no longer buy the old filament bulbs

We use desk lamps for a good few practicals and need filament bulbs rather than led so when our stock has gone that's it
Hiya. Not in any way challenging what you are saying, but I am curious as to why it has to be filament bulbs for your lamps?
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Interested in that question myself too , i can't see what a incandescent does better other than producing heat.
I'm not sure if it still stands but there was an avenue to still buy incandescents for building site work , called something like rough use.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

grenfell wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:12 am Interested in that question myself too , i can't see what a incandescent does better other than producing heat.
I'm not sure if it still stands but there was an avenue to still buy incandescents for building site work , called something like rough use.
From my line of work CFL and led create a stroboscopic effect on rotating milling machines making the cutters appear either to be rotating slowly or stationary.. know we tried all sorts including 2 lamp holders on a different phase each and ultimately reverted to standard filament lamps ..

You should still be able (for now) to get halogen lamps

https://www.toolstation.com/sylvania-en ... joQAvD_BwE
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Ah thanks for that . At least i know there's a proper reason and not just stubborn nostalgia.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

grenfell wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:58 am Ah thanks for that . At least i know there's a proper reason and not just stubborn nostalgia.
Florrys flicker at 50hz.

Led are a wild entity especially dimmable ones (leds dim by strobing). If you have a dimable led torch dark room and wave your hand Infront of the light change the brightness and it looks a bit like a nightclub ;). I first noticed the led effect with a silly bright led bike light on low power the front wheel looked stationary
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine