New Shed questions

Homes and Retreats
Rykard

New Shed questions

Post by Rykard »

Hi all,
we have taken delivery of a 12x8 wooden shed to use as a gym/garden room. I have a couple of questions that I hope those with more knowledge than me can assist with.

1) Have been advised to paint it with oil based barn paint. Where do I get this from/ the mainstream stores don't seem to sell it. How much would I need roughly?
2) I What can i use to insulate the walls a bit?

thinks that's about all for the mo,
cheers in advance
Rich
Yorkshire Andy

Re: New Shed questions

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

You can't buy oil based barn paint (assuming they mean creosote (don't confuse with creocoat) unless you have a permit (blooming environmental legislation)

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Ronseal-Shed+F ... L/p/155180

This is one of the only decent preservatives left on the market I used about 4l on my 7x8 shed the initial treatment ideally requires 3-4 coats initially and I add a new coat every 2 years

One word of warning if it's been tanalised the wood will be soaked (its water based) so might be worth waiting till next summer as unless we get a few baking days it's not going to dry out any time soon

If it's got a floor sit it on oak beams or bricks with slate on top

As for insulation PIR sheeting (kingspan) then tack in place and internal line with ply
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

Or, if you're really skint & don't care about the environment or your own health (it can give you a bit of a headache), a 50/50 mix of diesel & used engine oil will also do the job.
Rykard

Post by Rykard »

ah, that explains why i don't get (m)any coming barn paints coming up in my searches.

will look a little further, we've not decided what colour yet, thinking green to match our other one.
cbp125

Post by cbp125 »

I have tired the 50/50 used oil/deisil mix and it works very very well, it will last for many many years however..... Andy is correct about not putting it on to the pressure treated timber, I made that mistake and it took nearly 6 months to dry, 6 months of making any clothes that touched it dirty... so wait to next year then paint it on and it will last for ages
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

From what i have been lead to believe newly treated tanilised or protimised can react with the paint hence leaving it to weather. My father worked at the tip and had access to a lot of old engine oil which he used to mix with creosote to paint the fences with. We must have put his fence up 35 years ago and my hands still get black off the bloody stuff.
One thing i will add about new sheds is that they are very commonly covered in shed felt which is thin and cheap and doesn't have z long lifespan. Just something to be aware of.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Screenshot_20201007-143338.png
From the book.......
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I put my shed up on plastic pallets, we sometimes get goods delivered on them at work but we don't use them to send stuff out.
I have a roll of Cromar ( a building membrane like Tyvek) for lining and as an underlay on the roof..
I used Bird Brand outdoor paint (black) on the panels (it had been painted with several different wood treatments on different sides) and their Black Bituminous Paint ( Link)on the underside of the floor and a second coat on all the contact points.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

Old car oil can't go wrong

Get some good quality felt worth it in the long run

Cheapo insulation old wool carpets glued to walls it's how the peace convoy did their vans many years ago very effective.
Fill er up jacko...
jansman

Post by jansman »

SADOLIN!!! You can get it mixed in any colour. My daughter, who sold sheds for a living told me this. It’s oil based. 2 litres will easily do a 10’x 10’ shed. It’s what I put on he Summerhouse she sold to us!
Oh yes, it’s oil based.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.