Tiny house

Homes and Retreats
Josejones

Tiny house

Post by Josejones »

I have a bought a few hectares in deep the country

Been trying for years to get permission to build on it but always been turned down

Now I want to put a tiny house on wheels there, maybe even try to camouflage it from the air

Or considering other ideas to live there stealthily so as not to draw any attention from council who have said I’m not allowed to live there
diamond lil

Re: Tiny house

Post by diamond lil »

Only contribution I can make is that I live deep in the country. And I can tell you that wherever you are there are always eyeballs on you! Nothing moves without somebody seeing.. and the lonelier the place the more any movement stands out. Farmers, gamekeepers, poachers and pest control people are always around somewhere.Up here all reg numbers are taken and all farmers communicate - because rural crime is on the increase and things like the farm equip and quad bikes are stolen. And that's up here in the empty lonely hills of the Scottish borderlands - anywhere in England will be harder.
Lemne

Post by Lemne »

Josejones wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:42 am I have a bought a few hectares in deep the country

Been trying for years to get permission to build on it but always been turned down

Now I want to put a tiny house on wheels there, maybe even try to camouflage it from the air

Or considering other ideas to live there stealthily so as not to draw any attention from council who have said I’m not allowed to live there
I think you would struggle to be honest and I think it would be very stressful just waiting for somebody to show up and tell you to leave.
Josejones

Post by Josejones »

The idea is a tiny house is on wheels and could be moved if you have to

But I hear you are allowed a temporary home as long as it’s on wheels
jansman

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:49 am Only contribution I can make is that I live deep in the country. And I can tell you that wherever you are there are always eyeballs on you! Nothing moves without somebody seeing.. and the lonelier the place the more any movement stands out. Farmers, gamekeepers, poachers and pest control people are always around somewhere.Up here all reg numbers are taken and all farmers communicate - because rural crime is on the increase and things like the farm equip and quad bikes are stolen. And that's up here in the empty lonely hills of the Scottish borderlands - anywhere in England will be harder.
I will second that. I have gone out at the crack of dawn, pigeon shooting. I have walked across the field to the hide, with seemingly , not a soul in sight. Not a shot fired, and within an hour, plod has turned up! Always someone watching.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Lemne

Post by Lemne »

Josejones wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:46 pm The idea is a tiny house is on wheels and could be moved if you have to

But I hear you are allowed a temporary home as long as it’s on wheels
Only for 28 days of the year. Being on wheels doesn't make a difference unfortunately or the fields would be full of caravans.
redskies

Post by redskies »

diamond lil wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:49 am Only contribution I can make is that I live deep in the country. And I can tell you that wherever you are there are always eyeballs on you! Nothing moves without somebody seeing.. and the lonelier the place the more any movement stands out. Farmers, gamekeepers, poachers and pest control people are always around somewhere.Up here all reg numbers are taken and all farmers communicate - because rural crime is on the increase and things like the farm equip and quad bikes are stolen. And that's up here in the empty lonely hills of the Scottish borderlands - anywhere in England will be harder.

There was a guy years ago who bought a couple hundred acres up in the highlands, with the intention of setting up a sharia community ''where people wouldn't see it'' :mrgreen:
Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

This house was built without permission years ago, the council ordered it demolished, owner refused, public outcry and it is still there, now for sale - but I'd bet it still has a demolition order.

http://www.thesmallholdingcentre.co.uk/ ... yID=554838

Apparently it was spotted because the owner put solar panels up and they were shiny, spotted from the air.
Bosworth

Post by Bosworth »

If it was genuinely built 15 years ago then it will be quite hard to get it demolished. Clearly lots of stress and hassle so not for the faint-hearted but if you have the spare cash (mortgage clearly not an option!) then could be a giggle...
cbp125

Post by cbp125 »

Best advice would be to get yourself very intergrated into the community, know everyone by name and make sure you get on with everyone!!!

I personally would suggest playing a long game and planting lots of tree cover, hedges etc, then I would build underground. Local councils use drones for enforcement now and rural policing units are out most nights with drones so you would be spotted overground.

If you built a underground "storage" unit, then upgraded it in time you may get away with it but after the farmer who built a castle/home inside a haybale stack, planning permission must be refused if any form of "deception" is used to bypass planning laws.