Living in a garage or caravan or what

Homes and Retreats
korolev

Living in a garage or caravan or what

Post by korolev »

If plans come to fruition, we will soon be moving to a new home.
The plans are for remodelling/extending and we don't think living in it while the work is done will be very practical.
We reckon to be out of it for 8-12 weeks so our choices are therefore :
1. live in the double garage - it has power and windows but no water (we could get temporary water run in and rig up a shower).
2. buy a caravan and live in that on the drive - same power/water issues
3. move out and rent a flat.

Anyone had similar experience of "roughing it" and care to share thoughts ?
Alf_resco.

Re: Living in a garage or caravan or what

Post by Alf_resco. »

Living in the garage whilst building works are happening throws up problems like building material secure storage.
Builders and freelancers love being able to use space to store anything from gear to tools and saying they locked them in the site garage means things are covered on their insurance.

I'd grab a cheapo caravan off ebay.
DO NOT READ THE SENTENCE BELOW.

Oooh you rebel...
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

The most important questions are:

Which three months?
Bearing in mind that practically no extensive building works run on time.

Who needs to 'rough it'?
There a lot of difference between one or two fairly fit adults and a family with kids or adults with physical or mental needs.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Done this a few times now and it is a touring caravan for us 100%. (In preference to a static mobile home)

Having a comfortable space to go back to is paramount. They are usually well insulated, have a heating system [winter is coming] kitchen and bathroom built in and having a soft and comfy bed to sleep makes a big difference.

Longer term it offers holidays, extra guest accommodation and potential bug-out vehicle options.

Look after it well and you might even make money if the whole "UK-stay-cation" idea kicks off after Brexit then caravans could be in high demand. It should keep some residual value if you dont destroy it, unlike renting which is money down the drain and you are living off site so cant stay so involved. (Pluses and minus' to that one)

You can often buy them complete with an awning included which offers extra space for appliances, pets, storage, wet coats and muddy welly boots etc.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
jansman

Post by jansman »

I'll second what Arwen says.You need a comfy space.My brother lives in a large touring van ( he bought it from an Irish traveller he did business with for 400 quid). It has gas and electric heat,gas or electric fridge ,shower and toilet.He added a very large awning,put down a pallet floor,covered with plywood,then axminster carpet! In there he has a fridge freezer,washing machine,and reclining chair,with lots of room to spare. Very comfortable.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

Where does he live Jansman? A site, or a private arrangment somewhere?
korolev

Post by korolev »

To answer some of the points:
The builders would be told they cannot use the garage.
We would be looking at the summer months, May onwards. Just me and the mrs, no kids or pets.
jansman

Post by jansman »

featherstick wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:38 pm Where does he live Jansman? A site, or a private arrangment somewhere?
He now lives on a private site with electric and water hook up.There are about a dozen set ups there like his.He was on a new age travellers site,and relied on solar and gennie.He was badly injured in a mugging a year or two back,and found that set up too arduous as he now has arm and back issues.Where he is is secluded and quiet.Very nice setting actually.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Another one voting for the caravan - purpose made, containable, private, comfortable. Useful for the future, even if that means selling it.

What's your preference so far, korolev?
korolev

Post by korolev »

Arzosah wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:16 am Another one voting for the caravan - purpose made, containable, private, comfortable. Useful for the future, even if that means selling it.

What's your preference so far, korolev?
I think I'm coming down on the side of the caravan for the reasons you mention. The only plus point of living in the garage is the cost (or rather the lack of cost).