Living in a garage or caravan or what

Homes and Retreats
ForgeCorvus

Re: Living in a garage or caravan or what

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Thinking about it, I'd go for the caravan too.
Buy something decent and park it out of the way and hopefully it'll still be worth what you paid for it.
If possible rig a 'toilet/shower' block..... Even if its just a shed, cassette loos are horrible for long term use.

Use the garage for secure storage
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I'd also vote for the caravan. Not knowing any details about the garage but would it need any work doing to it as part of the build , electrics for example? That would mean someone coming in and making a mess of your temporary living space. I'd also suggest that if you go with the caravan let the builders have access to the garage for storage , it 'll be dry for those doors , plasterboard and cement that's delivered early.
I do have a friend who brought a caravan to use while he was doing a cottage up. The work has taken quite some time and i don't think the caravan will ever move again unless it's in a skip but it has served it's purpose for several years.
Conholio

Post by Conholio »

Hello first post on here. I like the idea of owning a caravan as a bug out option I own land up to 800ft above sea level. Our home is near the coast and I feel a tsunami is a real threat to coastal UK if an asteroid strikes the ocean.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Conholio wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:57 pm Our home is near the coast and I feel a tsunami is a real threat to coastal UK if an asteroid strikes the ocean.
Depends on which coast you're on..... And asteroid strike is way down the list of possible causes of flooding in the UK.
Abnormally high spring tide, Storm surge, Coastal or river defence failure or even a Seismic event are much more likely.

I'm in Norfolk, where I live now is half a mile from the peak of the 1953 floods and my childhood home was less then a hundred yards from the water
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar