Allotments Plan Adjoining Back Of Property

Homes and Retreats
Lone

Allotments Plan Adjoining Back Of Property

Post by Lone »

Not long found out that a large area of ground between two streets, one being my own, may be turned into allotments, that’d be good right ?

It could mean having contacts with fellow gardeners, also the possibility of exchanging ideas, cuttings, veg, etc., also means this area usually unkempt and uncared for will have a purpose, plus benefits to the community, as in, preventing misuse of the ground, or housing/garage developments

I’m not really a people-person, but quite like the idea that over the back fence of my garden, will be protected somewhat by others who are looking after their own plots of ground

Anyone else whose garden is adjoining allotments, where people grow their own veg, etc., and maintain what would have been wasted land ?

Any advantages or are there disadvantages, such as car parking, activity in an area usually dormant, quiet and dark being unlit mostly ?
jansman

Re: Allotments Plan Adjoining Back Of Property

Post by jansman »

Allotment people,are nice people.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

They are but there are always some who find offence with them. I've heard complaints that allotments are untidy eyesores. Not my thoughts but i have heard them voiced and no doubt some will try to complain about additional traffic , potential risk of vermin or any other excuse they can think of but thankfully those types are very much in the minority. One only has to look at the uproar that goes with any plans to do away with allotments . Then there are reports on the physical and mental benefits of gardening as a whole . What disadvantages there may be are well overshadowed by the positives.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

We have allotments behind us

Bonfires

Noise from rotorvators

Noise of chickens

Odd radio on during the day....

And that's just me :)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
cbp125

Post by cbp125 »

Bonfires and noisy machines would be your most trouble. They do attract the odd theif, as they store tools in sheds etc. But on balance, if you treat them right you might get free veg!
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

You are very lucky to have a council that actively encourage the idea. Get your name on the waiting list if you haven't already. D
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"