Would You Consider Joining A Prepper Inspired Community?

Homes and Retreats
Arzosah

Re: Would You Consider Joining A Prepper Inspired Community?

Post by Arzosah »

I wish I'd got online a few days earlier, so I'd have been able to take part in this discussion. Amazing stuff :) thanks to Arwen and all the contributors.

Part of me would really like to join an intentional community, though if it was a "prepping" community of any description, it would get crazy very quickly. If it was simply "move to within a 5 mile radius of Muggleton", that might work better. but as soon as you set up a niche community, it's bound to change. Some people will see it as growth, others won't. For instance, say 10 households established a community, and mine was one of them (its just me, I really have been a lone wolf in some ways, more of that later if it would help). To me, one of the crucial things is that religion shouldn't play any part in the public life of the community. But say 3 households set up a "house church" - they're going to talk about community stuff there, it's bound to happen sooner or later, and I'm automatically excluded from that. Or the next 5 households to join *do* want religion to be part of the public life of the community: pretty soon I'm outvoted, and things shift. And just like that it's become a place for me to avoid - but if it's a gated, intentional community, how do I extricate myself financially? Who will buy my holding? And what approval do they need from the existing community?

"In Muggleton village, or within 5 miles of it", is the best its going to get for me - we'd still be outnumbered by existing/ "normal" inhabitants, but my guess is that in any village there's a fair bit more self-sufficientish sensibility.

In practice, for me, it's not going to happen, even though I'm not very attached to my house or my town where I live now. My health isn't wonderful, and I'd be too old, quite frankly. One of the games I played during my enforced offline time was to imagine a societal breakdown, and how I'd cope - in the scenarios where I do well, I'm 30 - 40 years younger than my present day age. In the scenarios where I'm my actual age, I'm dead in maximum 6 months, after miraculously finding time to bequeath all my prepping kit to my sister, who has adult offspring.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Sorry, the first main paragraph of my post at the top of the page there is quite abrupt :oops: I think any community that's based on strong beliefs will be fairly turbulent, especially if they're trying to avoid basing the whole thing on one guy's beliefs.

For me, thats almost another reason to stay away - I'm so, so not a person who can do that. I'm pretty good in official committees when I have to be, though I find them very stressful, but actually the truth is I have no idea how to live in a community. If people came to the front door spontaneously to chat, I'd be hiding in a cupboard, or wearing myself out chatting :oops:
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Welcome back Arzosah. :D

I'm coming to the conclusion that many people are saying much the same thing. We all live somewhere now, we just have neighbours that we didn't choose in most cases.

We (mainly) all seem to place great value on privacy and "own-space".

Some of us get deeply involved in community, others prefer to keep a reasonable distance and others want to remain lone wolves. (And one wants to hide in a cupboard from time to time:lol: :lol: )

Some have strong religious or spiritual beliefs, others have none, while the rest are somewhere in between.

Some would enjoy living within a distinct and defined community with some basic rules, others want nothing to do with any sort of regulations, structure or governance of any sort. Some of us would choose to be close (250m?) to a central point, others would choose the outskirts (1 mile?) or prefer to be further afield. (5 miles?)

Different people would live in different types of property. A house, a bungalow, an apartment, a static caravan, a yurt, a tent, a cave, a tree house.... (OK ignore the last two).

We are a range of age groups, with wildly different skills and experiences, with different skin tones, heritages and cultures. Our family units and genders are single, doubles, triplets, quads and more. Some are relatively wealthy, others incredibly rich in other aspects of life. Strong & weak. Cat people & dog lovers. Beer gluggers v wine slurpers. United fans v City fans. etc etc etc...

All of that sounds much like where we all live right now doesn't it?

The only difference that I'm suggesting is that my neighbours who chose to live within that 5 mile geographical area, would have a prepper mindset.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Not being religious myself but having some pretty religious family members i have sympathy with Arzosah's position. I suppose it's finding the balance between community and cult. When i think communes and religion i can't help but think of places like Jonestown or people like David Koresh.
Arwen , fully in agreement with your last sentance , makes perfect sense.
Raven

Post by Raven »

Okay...in the effort of trying to move the convo forwards...

The right location would be essential for me. What town/village ideas do any of you have? Any idea of whereabouts in the UK? Pros vs cons.

or if you can think of no particular examples...what amenities would you need in the village/town?
Keep calm & carry on PREPPING :twisted:
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:23 pm Welcome back Arzosah. :D
Thanks Arwen!
We are a range of age groups, with wildly different skills and experiences, with different skin tones, heritages and cultures. Our family units and genders are single, doubles, triplets, quads and more. Some are relatively wealthy, others incredibly rich in other aspects of life. Strong & weak. Cat people & dog lovers. Beer gluggers v wine slurpers. United fans v City fans. etc etc etc...

All of that sounds much like where we all live right now doesn't it?

The only difference that I'm suggesting is that my neighbours who chose to live within that 5 mile geographical area, would have a prepper mindset.
I like that! That diversity would be a huge strength.

In terms of Raven's question about where, or at least what amenities:
- a village, thats not on a direct route out of the nearest big town, but off a side road of a direct road.
- near running water. I'd like to be near the sea (nb erosion, storm surge, tsunami up the Channel, illegal entry) but a river or a stream would do, as long as it doesn't have a history of running dry.
- a village pond would be nice.
- mix of housing stock. Good gardens too.
- an existing community life already, including at least some shops, a village hall, neighbour/ hobby groups. A Transition Town?
- fertile soil, at least if it was worked on by us. We'd need research into the regional effects of climate change.
- what geographical area? The south east of England, and the North West of England, are densely populated; so is the corridor between Edinburgh and Glasgow, and the area of South Wales around Cardiff. House prices would be important - southern prices are tough for many homeowners from outside the area. Maybe we'd end up, if we ever did it, by having two (at the start! we might have a web of them in the end). One on the coast, one inland.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:23 pmSome of us get deeply involved in community, others prefer to keep a reasonable distance and others want to remain lone wolves. (And one wants to hide in a cupboard from time to time:lol: :lol: )
Yeah, I'd have to have my cupboard :mrgreen:
Different people would live in different types of property. A house, a bungalow, an apartment, a static caravan, a yurt, a tent, a cave, a tree house.... (OK ignore the last two).
Oh now, see, a tree house! I'm not exactly thinking of a house, but in The Hunger Games, Katniss uses trees a lot at first: to sleep in (tying herself to a big branch), and to evade a group of pursuers when she's wounded. Big trees to hide in are a plus :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: that emoticon isn't called "uber geek" for nothing, you know
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Raven wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:27 pm Okay...in the effort of trying to move the convo forwards...

The right location would be essential for me. What town/village ideas do any of you have? Any idea of whereabouts in the UK? Pros vs cons.

or if you can think of no particular examples...what amenities would you need in the village/town?
Presently we are thinking more in regional and geographic terms rather than specific towns or villages and the main criteria are;

Primary Objectives.
A property at some elevation (250ft to 1000ft) above current sea levels.
The availability and access to a reliable, natural water supply.
Access to (rent) or outright ownership of sufficient, fertile agricultural land to be viable. (Same for woodlands.)
Access to substantial mains electrical power supply.

Secondary Considerations.[/i]
A reasonable distance from any major city and not particularly or easily accessible. (eg; off main A road etc)
Access to a range of basic local amenities.
A preferred Southerly or South Westerly aspect.
Suitable properties already in place to accommodate [X] number of people.
Opportunity to increase or build extra accommodation.

Other 'Idyllic' Thoughts.
Nice views.
Decent access roads or tracks.
Near to an existing rural / farming community.
Access to a wider range / more advanced local amenities.

Anyone want to add anything? Please feel free to add to the lists.
Arwen The Bard

Lone

Post by Lone »

This is just a little addition to the lone wolf concept, that might be of interest

Watched a fantastic documentary last night called Takaya Lone Wolf, about a wolf that isolated itself on its own declared detached territory away from packs, in doing so, adapted to different ways of hunting by observing other animals.

Every day it howled, an expert considering it was calling out for others to join it

The conclusion was, this lone wolf, was actually a leader, an Alpha, that left its pack to start its own.

So for all it was a lone wolf...was trying to draw others to him to start a new pack.

This was fascinating, as a lone wolf in human terms, might actually be seeking to lead his own group, prepping the territory for them to join him.

End of my little bit of wolf info.

Never thought of myself as a likely Alpha wanting to create my own pack !

I actually did howl...with laughter ! :lol:

Who the heck would want to join my pack with me in charge.... :roll:
Last edited by Lone on Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

"House prices would be important - southern prices are tough for many homeowners from outside the area."

Yes indeed, very important given the type(s) and size of properties many would be looking for.

It has been suggested that in the future, the more Southerly parts of the UK would see worst impacts of climate change, so heading more towards our Northerly cousins would make sense. (We can all learn a new language together. 8-) )

"Run for the hills, those damn Sassenachs' are coming"
Arwen The Bard