Would You Consider Joining A Prepper Inspired Community?

Homes and Retreats
Arwen Thebard

Would You Consider Joining A Prepper Inspired Community?

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Would you consider joining a "Prepper" inspired community? [I'm using the Prepper word throughout as it covers a lot of ground]

Have you asked yourself this question? Have you wondered what it could be like? Perhaps it's an unfulfilled, nagging idea or dream?
It has been something on our radar for years now and the same questions and reasons NOT TO DO IT come up again and again;

"How would we go about it" - "We dont want to join a bunch of nutters" - "Hippy commune / I'm not living in a Yurt" - "Cant trust anyone so best to stay alone"......... Shall I keep going? There are plenty more reasons not to try I know. (And before you say it, NO there is nothing wrong with hippy communes or hippies :roll: )

If your answer is one of the above that doesn't mean it is wrong, quite the opposite, it shows you have considered the idea and discounted it, that you have some 'red-lines' you may not wish to cross. We gave much the same answers ourselves many times over, especially the "nutters" one. :lol:

However there also plenty of reasons to try and make it happen, especially now. As the situation and troubles mount around us all in the UK and elsewhere, serious problems are cropping up and cant be ignored an longer, S**T is hitting the Fan all around us as we speak and becoming more serious everyday.

The Arwen unit are a couple in our "fit-fifties" and reckon we have got a decent handle on many aspects of our prepping way of life, however we accept our limitations and realise that it would be better to have a few like minded neighbors, friends and acquaintances living close by, not on our immediate doorstep necessarily, but at least within a reasonable walking distance. Having serious people to help out and call on in times of need is a clear advantage and as we (mostly) all have to live next to neighbors anyway, why shouldn't they be like minded folks, serious about the realities of life as we are?

We have done this sort of thing before (set up a network of like minded friends and acquaintances) and can say from experience it can work really well, not perfectly, but really well. You are never going to get on or like everyone you meet, that's just how life is and it is unrealistic to expect it to be otherwise, there really are some "nutters" out there! But the comfort and peace of mind in having someone nearby to call on, who is likely to have the skills or materials you dont, and who is willing to cover your back is priceless. If you already have that safety net around you, well done, you are very lucky.

The really decisive question has to be "Would you be willing to up sticks and move somewhere else?"

Or perhaps you already have the perfect property and location you would want others come join you? The process of forming a group like this is going to take some time, but we are already in touch with several other couples and families that are genuinely committed to doing just that, at some point in the not too distant future, before the ever increasing speed of current events overtakes us all.

I am happy to get the ball rolling through this post or via private messages if anyone prefers. In the next couple of posts I will try to outline what seems to be the basic ideas and outline consensus forming among those currently involved, which may answer many of your questions.

Deep breath....here we go!
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
Arwen Thebard

Re: Would You Consider Joining A Prepper Inspired Community?

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Some of the basic ideas that people have discussed so far;

The need for a high degree of personal privacy.
Individuals to choose what that 'level' of privacy means to them.

Living & Other Spaces
A wide range of discussion on this topic;
Individual houses / homes / gardens / allotments / land.
Options for communal living spaces in one building
A central community gathering place might be useful.

Rural / semi rural location.
Scotland, Wales, Shropshire, Anglesey are among those places to be suggested.

Equality of purpose.
Having an underlying understanding running through the group, but accepting of different reasons why we each want to do it.
Skills being highly valued.
Wealth having (X) value against skills. (Some people have money but few skills, both have equatable values)

Does that answer some of your questions?

Anything else? Ask away.
Last edited by Arwen Thebard on Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arwen The Bard

Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

A complex subject worthy of its own post.

Beliefs
(Some of the comments so far.........)

Any group we form will NOT be based on, or affiliated to any / anyone's particular beliefs.
There are simply too many avenues and dead ends to explore on the subject.
Each persons beliefs are there own, just as they would be anywhere else in life.
People should be free to indulge in their personal beliefs as long as they do not cause disruption to the majority of the group.
This subject means a great deal to some people and almost nothing to others.
Beliefs get very complicated, very quickly.
Keeps your views to yourselves and those you know share them.

Arwens comment;
"On a personal note I would prefer that my neighbors did not burn crosses and dance naked, satanic rituals, on their front lawn every full moon" (But there you go I've just imposed my views on someone else)
Arwen The Bard

Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

So back to the first post;

"Would you consider joining a prepper inspired community?"

I would really like to hear why you would join, why you wouldn't join and what questions you would want answered first.

EDIT:
Happy to take private messages if you prefer to be away from the main forum.
Last edited by Arwen Thebard on Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arwen The Bard

Lone

Post by Lone »

No. Too many people...too many opinions...too many alpha-wannabes...worst of all...rules

Prepping should be fluid to any situation that develops, individual choices, once you make it a community, in a way, you’ll just be another village/town, that just happens to live differently, likely averse to anyone entering not of the prepping mind.

If you then look at other communities that isolate themselves due to their own beliefs, even for the greater good, there is a chance outsiders will give it one of the many unwanted labels that the psyche attach to anyone acting different to the norm

I’ll stay alone...
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

No, my privacy is important to me. I have brought up teenagers and don't want to live with any again thanks :lol: That said if the world REALLY turned upside down, I would happily make a community of family/extended family but with very strict personnel space rules. Equally well I'm ok with muddling through on my own (with OH). The main advantage for me of having family close is to cut out the worry of how they're doing. Mind you strong young backs might be useful too.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Lone wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:52 am No. Too many people...too many opinions...too many alpha-wannabes...worst of all...rules

Prepping should be fluid to any situation that develops, individual choices, once you make it a community, in a way, you’ll just be another village/town, that just happens to live differently, likely averse to anyone entering not of the prepping mind.

If you then look at other communities that isolate themselves due to their own beliefs, even for the greater good, there is a chance outsiders will give it one of the many unwanted labels that the psyche attach to anyone acting different to the norm

I’ll stay alone...
Yep I totally get that and wish you every success. :D
Arwen The Bard

Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

izzy_mack wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:20 am No, my privacy is important to me. I have brought up teenagers and don't want to live with any again thanks :lol: That said if the world REALLY turned upside down, I would happily make a community of family/extended family but with very strict personnel space rules. Equally well I'm ok with muddling through on my own (with OH). The main advantage for me of having family close is to cut out the worry of how they're doing. Mind you strong young backs might be useful too.
Yep, sounds like a perfectly good plan, hope its not necessary. :D
(Especially understand the strong young backs :lol: )
Arwen The Bard

cbp125

Post by cbp125 »

I would love the idea, but I do like my privacy and I have got quite a good network already built up. Additionally I love to dance about naked on a full moon, but I leave the cross burning as burnt nipples are not fun!!! :lol:
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

cbp125 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:31 am I would love the idea, but I do like my privacy and I have got quite a good network already built up. Additionally I love to dance about naked on a full moon, but I leave the cross burning as burnt nipples are not fun!!! :lol:
Oh you would fit right in!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Arwen The Bard