Would You Consider Joining A Prepper Inspired Community?

Homes and Retreats
Lone

Re: Would You Consider Joining A Prepper Inspired Community?

Post by Lone »

I’m new and have no say, but I’d recommend locking this topic, as I found on other forums, members who hadn’t visited for a while, or new members, might continue to react to them in it.

It’s just going by my own experience on other forums, as it kept bringing it back to the top, and the posts got much much worse...just as a precaution so to speak
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Son Of Andrew wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:19 pmSo, correct me if I'm wrong, but instead of kindly asking Raven to refrain from making the offending comments, and to move along (and doing likewise), you chose to be rude, and to get in a dig with your own little racist, and political diatribe.

Just checking.

If you're the sort of person to become easily offended (and retaliate in kind), or get bent out of shape, or withdraw from a difficult conversation at the first sign of conflict (instead of trying to resolve the issue), then I would suggest that you're not the sort of person who's suited to living in a community the likes of which we're proposing.

Oops, now, I've quite possibly torn it.

=0\
Well yes, I think you did tear it :):

- I thought my statement was forthright - not rude, not racist, not political. Part of me wants to ask what you thought was rude/ racist/ political about my comment, but we'd be going way past the guidelines, and this sort of discussion never ends well online. I made one comment - I don't see the "retaliation" in my comment, nor any suggestion that I'm not "moving along". Being even warier about community doesn't constitute not moving along, not in my book.

- Raven's response takes full responsibility, which is a very positive thing to do, absolutely. I appreciate that response, Raven.

- Lone: dont withdraw! There was a mis-step, and we all pulled it back. Your point about not realising opinions is an important one - in reality, the kind of project we're thinking of can't be arranged online, not really. It's face to face that really matters for the lifechanging decisions such as moving house. Remember that Raven took it down, immediately: people have different levels of knowledge and sensibility about this stuff, and these days I accept that. Willingness to think, explore, change direction, these are the things that matter.

- Son Of Andrew, I didn't say I was offended, and I'm not. I'm simply not prepared to let that original sort of statement pass - but Raven has taken it down, so there we are.

- as for the comment that I might "withdraw from a difficult conversation at the first sign of conflict (instead of trying to resolve the issue), then I would suggest that you're not the sort of person who's suited to living in a community the likes of which we're proposing" well, yeah, you're not wrong :mrgreen: I made a comment about hiding in a cupboard earlier, and like all jokes it was based on the truth. But I like thought experiments, so I stayed.

PS lots of posts since I started writing this! Seems like although its a little hot, all has gone well. Though I'm really not a fan of being called rude and racist, and I don't see where I was.
Son Of Andrew

Post by Son Of Andrew »

I know you want to ask which part, and open that discussion, but that's where most of these online interactions go wrong, and I don't care to open a can of worms on this page (or be incited to do so). Perhaps a little introspection on your part would be beneficial. No offence meant, sincerely, but if you don't know where I thought you were being racist or political, you might want to go back and examine your comments in greater depth.

In the mean-time I think we can go on as responsible folks, and agree, that probably, we all made a slight error in judgement. I'll start by saying if I caused anyone offence, I apologise.

I like this thread, and I'd like to see where it goes, and I think we can do a bit better than other forums, and keep it chilled.

Cheers, ta
M.
=0)
Fortune Favours The Prepared.
Lone

Post by Lone »

I don’t think I said anything wrong, though I must add, if there are any (real) wolves posting on this topic...I apologise...just in case... :D
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Son Of Andrew, I think you've got the wrong end of the stick about me, including my level of introspection :? . That's okay, we're just internet strangers, after all. As I already said, we'd "be going way past the guidelines, and this sort of discussion never ends well online". I agree that we can probably do better than on other forums.

Lone, I'm loving the idea that there might be real wolves on here :mrgreen: I too will make nice with them, just in case :)
jansman

Post by jansman »

Problem resolved I think. Let’s move on. If it has proved one thing, a community of any sort will have differences and conflict. Back on topic then.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Following on and also (I think) back on topic.

As human interactions will give rise to conflict (not always, but it is one possible result), how best to deal with the butting of heads?

Mods IRL?
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Son Of Andrew

Post by Son Of Andrew »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:07 pm Following on and also (I think) back on topic.

As human interactions will give rise to conflict (not always, but it is one possible result), how best to deal with the butting of heads?

Mods IRL?
It comes back to the age-old argument. What kind of 'government' *shudder*
I use the term generally, but it's got terrible overtones.
For the most part, I think people know right from wrong, and rules/laws should be simple with no room for error, but sometimes you'll have complex private disputes (usually over animals or boundaries, I think) that need to be resolved by a committee or third-party.

As a 'Viking', I say we resolve things the old-fashioned way, though. Trial by combat!

=0)
Lone

Post by Lone »

That is the beginning of a new set of problems in my opinion.

A proper working community, all for one and one for all type of thing, starts losing its freedom and fluidity...as then you have someone or even a panel sitting in judgment...to discuss wrongdoing.

Once a decision is made on each judgment, you have then set a precedent within the community, so that if it arises again, the result is already on record, and corrected in the same manner.

That then is the very basic idea of how laws are started, but how do you enforce them ?

Do a few members then become like trustees, or a police force, which leads on to punishments, as I don’t think every problem will be solved amicably, someone will object...then it’s onwards and downwards towards a mutiny.

Yes, pessimistic I know, but once any sort of laws are introduced and a lawmaker in place...that very authority draws animosity when times get difficult.

You never see the documentary about when a group of students are split into prisoners and prison officers...it got ugly very quickly...power corrupts...the powerless revolt ?

Also, in a small community. wrongdoings will not be forgotten easily
Son Of Andrew

Post by Son Of Andrew »

I think it has to be a meritocratic choice.
That way as soon as the trust of the community is lost, the inept or corrupt 'leader' is given the boot.

As I said, I like to think that people can police themselves, but it's a minefield, there's no doubt.
Much easier to do though, if everyone's fundamental beliefs and morals are aligned, but I'm not suggesting any particular religion either. That might work for some, but for me personally, that's also fraught with problems.

M.