First failure (dammit)

Homes and Retreats
preppergb

First failure (dammit)

Post by preppergb »

Among my preps I keep some 12Vdc bits n bobs so i can keep things going if we lost mains 220AC power, Because we stocked up we had the 12VDC 30 litre coolbox in operation to help keep the fresh foods cool. This morning the cool box packed up, its cooling fan got noisy very quickly then a smell of burning then it stopped all within a minute or so. This is annoying and worrying because I now doubt the reliability of the 12 volt back up kit. Kettle, Lights, Microwave, Cool Box etc.
Yorkshire Andy

Re: First failure (dammit)

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

You can probably find a replacement fan unit on eBay or a CPU cooling fan and mod it. Guessing the motor has gone and the peltier unit is still functioning,?

Had one where the PCB rotted away it had no real function bar linking the incoming power with the fan and peltier unit to make assembly quicker nothing a couple of crimps couldn't bypass
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

preppergb wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:26 amThis is annoying and worrying because I now doubt the reliability of the 12 volt back up kit. Kettle, Lights, Microwave, Cool Box etc.
We are fortunate in that this event has given us a bit of rehearsal time. Better to discover such issues now, while there is still recovery time. You're not the only one finding issues with your preps. But you have preps, so you are still ahead of the curve.
Take care.
J
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

And on that subject out on upright fridge freezer had died :shock:

Thermostat has gone and nowhere open to get one :?

Just linked it out (am not too shabby when it comes to electrics) using 2 blade crimps and some 1.5 mm flex for the time been just got to keep an eye on it and turn the mains on and off as required

Mad Scientist

Post by Mad Scientist »

Andy, were you able to repair/replace your fridge-freezer?
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Mad Scientist wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:00 am Andy, were you able to repair/replace your fridge-freezer?
Yes I managed to repair it got a replacement thermostat from a local independent electrical shop... :o
Bit like this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-HOTP ... SwzJ5XY77T

Was a YouTube video on our model so just double checked took me 15 mins to replace it. ..

Short term a thump seemed to sort it out but wasn't relying on that as a long term fix :lol:

preppergb

Post by preppergb »

Bloody electric kettle has given up the ghost now, having to use the old fashion one from the camper van for now.
cbp125

Post by cbp125 »

preppergb wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:29 am Bloody electric kettle has given up the ghost now, having to use the old fashion one from the camper van for now.
There seems to be quite a lot of electronic items failing at the moment, I wonder if the reduced staff at UK power could be causing power spikes damaging equipment?
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

cbp125 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:04 pm
preppergb wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:29 am Bloody electric kettle has given up the ghost now, having to use the old fashion one from the camper van for now.
There seems to be quite a lot of electronic items failing at the moment, I wonder if the reduced staff at UK power could be causing power spikes damaging equipment?
Would take one hell of a surge to see off an electric kettle.. if it took out your kettle kiss goodbye to anything electronic routers laptop's TVs and the like that's plugged in

Our fridge is 8 years old it's about worn out but at the moment £20 was a justify able fix dropping £350 on a new fridge wasn't a decision to be taken lightly at the moment sticky or dirty contact or the capillary tube loosing gas pressure due to age..

I've seen the results of surges ranging from lightning strikes to the power grids electrician dropping a big clanger at a local substation they can be catastrophic the lightning strike insurance pay out was £25,000 back in 1999!

preppergb

Post by preppergb »

cbp125 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:04 pm
Well at least I'm lucky enough to have a gas heated kettle as backup, it goes with the bottled gas camping cooker / grill, gas space heater etc I keep as reserve.