Disposal of waste....

Homes and Retreats
grenfell

Re: Disposal of waste....

Post by grenfell »

Interesting read on another side effect of this corona virus thing. Mentions burning of waste too ,
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... rus-crisis
HomeHardener

Post by HomeHardener »

grenfell wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:38 am Interesting read on another side effect of this corona virus thing. Mentions burning of waste too ,
Interesting read there, I’ve kept all my cardboard to one side in my shed, stack is piling up, I had planned to burn it but now I’m thinking do I wait and just recycle it, but is it even going to be put to proper use if I put it in the recycling
@Homehardening_uk
jansman

Post by jansman »

HomeHardener wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:02 pm
grenfell wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:38 am Interesting read on another side effect of this corona virus thing. Mentions burning of waste too ,
Interesting read there, I’ve kept all my cardboard to one side in my shed, stack is piling up, I had planned to burn it but now I’m thinking do I wait and just recycle it, but is it even going to be put to proper use if I put it in the recycling
Unless you get a proper raging bonfire going,cardboard is harder to burn than you think.Mind you,that doesn't seem to stop certain of my neighbours trying to burn what seems to be anything from plastic to grass clippings! :lol:
Joking aside,I would get it stashed and wait for it to feed into the system.Reading into that article,we are going to need all hands on deck,and all the resources we can get, once this is over.And it WILL be over at some point.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Some time ago the firm i was with did some post fire damage work , making the building safe and so on.It's surprising what doesn't burn in even a quite an extensive fire. I've found books that apart from a little charring around the edges were still perfectly readable despite being in a bedroom just below the roof that had disappeared. On one job in a pretty destroyed bedroom where again the roof had gone there was a pair of hiking boots that were still in wearable condition although covered in soot and stinking to high heaven of smoke.
Perhaps if there is a cardboard shortage manufacturers might try to reduce the amount of packaging. Late last year i had a couple of kitchens to fit and was left with a mountain of cardboard and a fair bit of polystyrene. I put some of the cardboard for compost to go with grass cuttings but the most was recycled. I've mentioned before that i use wood ash in the garden . Cardboard produces a lot of ash and i've always wondered if there is anything useful in cardboard ash , gut feeling is that it's probably very low in potential nutrients but i'm frankly not sure.