corona virus and the safety of your home.

Homes and Retreats
HomeHardener

corona virus and the safety of your home.

Post by HomeHardener »

Good evening!

It’s been quite a while since my last post, an update on what’s new...
I moved into my house with my partner in September and My little girl was born in October (great timing I know)
My prepping dropped off a substantial amount due to moving in, Christmas, the baby etc.

I never really had specific food reserves before hand due to space, but since moving in I always kept substantial reserves of tinned and dried food etc. We also always keep plenty of nappies, baby wipes, medicine etc.

So my question is, during these troubled times, will we get to a stage where we may actually need to be worried about our preps. Could we hit a stage we’re the average home invasion is no longer for money or car keys but instead a search for food and toilet roll!

I read an article that if the uk carry’s on panic buying like they are, we have about three weeks before shelves simply cannot be restocked! (And they already look bare) and that’s without taking into consideration the self quarantine of the people than work in factories, lorry drivers, sales assistants etc.

Have you taken extra measures at home? Are you Double locking your doors whilst in the house (if you didn’t already)
@Homehardening_uk
jennyjj01

Re: corona virus and the safety of your home.

Post by jennyjj01 »

Yes, Yes and Yes
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

There are two ways people will know about your Preps.

1. You've told them
2. The government has contacted the major stores and asked for clubcard details.

As with all things don't keep all your eggs in one basket; store preps in various locations throughout your house.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

HomeHardener wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:33 pm Have you taken extra measures at home? Are you Double locking your doors whilst in the house (if you didn’t already)
This is Plymouth I lock the door between trips to unload the car, and the car of course, I couldn't do more without a family member guarding so to speak :lol:
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Plymtom wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:12 pm
HomeHardener wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:33 pm Have you taken extra measures at home? Are you Double locking your doors whilst in the house (if you didn’t already)
This is Plymouth I lock the door between trips to unload the car, and the car of course, I couldn't do more without a family member guarding so to speak :lol:
Being a bit of a hick we're the other way, had my shed unlocked for years, only started locking it when we had travellers staying a couple fields over. Now I've two sheds and they're generally unlocked as we've managed to move the travellers on. I will be locking the sheds as I've a few bits and bobs in them. The house is generally unlocked unless we're out though, while the 2 big dugs are soft, the missus is fierce. :)
HomeHardener

Post by HomeHardener »

I’ve been at my new home in Essex for about 6 months now and the most severe incident so far has been a man wondering the streets at night testing people’s car doors and taking whatever he can from unlocked cars. Not really the crime of the century, lock your car doors if you know this is happening right?!

My neighbours bike gets left outside their house every day and it’s not gone anywhere. A massive change from my last address in east London!
@Homehardening_uk
HomeHardener

Post by HomeHardener »

Deeps wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:19 pm
Being a bit of a hick we're the other way, had my shed unlocked for years, only started locking it when we had travellers staying a couple fields over. Now I've two sheds and they're generally unlocked as we've managed to move the travellers on. I will be locking the sheds as I've a few bits and bobs in them. The house is generally unlocked unless we're out though, while the 2 big dugs are soft, the missus is fierce. :)
I have no doubt in my mind I could leave my shed unlocked and side gate etc.
But in the current climate and the state of our local and only supermarket, I’m not so sure anymore.
Thieves and burgers seem to go for items of value, right now toilet paper and tinned food are probably more valuable than a stolen car or watch!
@Homehardening_uk
HomeHardener

Post by HomeHardener »

pseudonym wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:08 pm There are two ways people will know about your Preps.

1. You've told them
2. The government has contacted the major stores and asked for clubcard details.

As with all things don't keep all your eggs in one basket; store preps in various locations throughout your house.
I’m not talking specifically about MY preps, not even my friends or family other than my partner I live with know of them, let alone where they are.
I’m thinking more of the opportunist thief as my Mrs walks from her car to the front door whilst I’m at work. Or the daytime burglaries moving from watches and car keys to food and hand sanitiser.

I feel ridiculous just saying it! But then again the sight of the shelves in 99% of supermarkets is also ridiculous.
@Homehardening_uk
cbp125

Post by cbp125 »

unless I recognise someone on the cctv camera. I was hoping to get a garage or lockup nearby to split my stores but cannot afford to but yes I am getting a bit worried.
Last edited by cbp125 on Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Deeps wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:19 pm
2 summers ago we got bumped by the local scallys I'd left the shed door open ... They CTRed by banging on the front door and Mrs A answered in her dressing gown (we had been putting a bigger pond in) I was getting out the shower as she was going to get in as he knocked asking if "Dave" was in.. she came up to tell me what had happened (she said try opposite and he didn't go there)

as I looked out the back bedroom window one was coming over nextdoors fence with door knocker keeping look out from the bridge that overlooks us

As I got to the backdoor I exited in my boxers just as he was about to vault the fence into our garden he ducked down ...

Ever the prepper there was a hand axe on the side by the door from splitting wood for the wood pizza oven I'd used the night before which was on the pile of crap to put back in the shed ....

Imagine a 15 stone 5.8ft fatty in his boxers with a axe ... it had the desired effect it was instant arming it wasn't there as a weapon it's in the shed most of the time hung out the reach of little fingers ...

I Walked down to the shed cracked a can of beer stood in the door 15 minutes he laid the other side of the fence in nextdoors yard I spent the time with a file sharpening said axe shaving my arm from time to time for the benefit of his lookout...

Mrs a was on hold to the police by then he had vaulted nextdoors driveway gate and run up the street like a scalded cat..... Not had a problem since the word in a small area spreads that the home owner is a nutter :tinfoil
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine