Home Security Upgrades

Homes and Retreats
cbp125

Re: Home Security Upgrades

Post by cbp125 »

As an ex copper, most of the burgularies I dealt with concerned people walking through peoples back or front doors whilst the occupants were inside doing something. Security upgrades are great until its summer, your hot, stuck in the kitchen cooking with all your doors and windows open and someone just creaps into your house and walks away with your car keys, wallet and bank statements.
You would be amazed how brazen people can be...
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

cbp125 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:34 pm As an ex copper, most of the burgularies I dealt with concerned people walking through peoples back or front doors whilst the occupants were inside doing something. Security upgrades are great until its summer, your hot, stuck in the kitchen cooking with all your doors and windows open and someone just creaps into your house and walks away with your car keys, wallet and bank statements.
You would be amazed how brazen people can be...

And how people just leave stuff unlocked we don't routinely lock our front door when we are "in" BUT the door chain is always on its higher up the door to keep little man from escaping ;) BUT if you open the door the noise of the chain racking through the "keep" makes enough noise to hear it upstairs and in the back garden

https://www.toolstation.com/timber-pvcu ... ain/p20564

Also bolsters the door security at night Vs lock snapping (*** bs007 locks fitted)

Down stairs windows have opening restrictors fitted as is the bathroom immediately above the porch fiat roof

https://www.toolstation.com/era-window- ... tor/p12868

Keys kept very handy but out of sight from outside should we need to get out via the window (fire ect)

For those who dont have an alarm and can't afford one get a legitimate dummy bell box look locally as to what is fitted (most Sparky's visit the same local wholesalers if they are a texecom stockist for example you will find lots of texecom bell boxes locally.. eg:

https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/product ... BAQAvD_BwE

Now this particular unit has 2x green alternating status LEDs which shows its powered working and "real"

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Deterrent-Al ... 0891.m5206

And a glue gun you can stick the LEDs in the same place behind the strobe lense as the real McCoy which to the average scrote will look like a chance of making lots of noise ...

I've added a long life led flasher to my real alarm system as it's battery powered just to catch the eye of anyone passing by late at night who are upto no good.

My sister has a local "big boy " brand alarm fitted was in when she moved in I matched the bell box on eBay and did the led thing for her back way as it's into fields anyone looking over the fence at night should see extra effort required.... Especially if they then look front way

(I know next doors alarm hasn't worked for 4 years plus (I know the bell box as I fitted enough of them and it's no longer flashing like is should )

Oh and a letter box brush draught excluder reduces the visibility of letterbox fishing theft of car keys etc

The self closing front gate is another good deterrent as people feet trapped and their escape requires a free hand
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

About gates:
Its a weird thing that you're less likely to get burgled if you have gates and keep them shut, even if they're not locked.
Its supposed to be because they're a barrier in people's minds...... I wonder if that works for random door-knockers like hawkers and missionaries ?
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:46 am About gates:
Its a weird thing that you're less likely to get burgled if you have gates and keep them shut, even if they're not locked.
Its supposed to be because they're a barrier in people's minds...... I wonder if that works for random door-knockers like hawkers and missionaries ?

Ours is spring closed with a auto latch still seem to get charity door chuggers funny watching them sometimes trying to get past the lion on the gate post (read black and white moggie who likes to swat hands as you reach over) Shame I can't glue her to the spot as a 24 hour security system..... I just get a playful dab as im the human in-charge of the dinner bowl)

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Well might as we bring this thread back up to the top...

A few nights ago my parents had 4 'visitors' approach their house bold as brass straight up the drive through the closed front gates ...

They got as far as the driveway gates which lead back way ......

Why ..... They were padlocked.... And the dull red glow of the CCTV was the additional fcuk off that broke their will power they had tried to open the gates the top toggle was undone (stops them flapping in the wind but the padlock and hasp did its job they went a few doors up and ransacked the neighbors house big time

Additional lighting has gone up and their old CCTV system is getting a upgrade asap but it's provided some good footage and a time frame for the police and some nice sharp legal spikes added to the vulnerable areas

The police returned today a different officer who said we would offer you a crime prevention visit but errrr err you've got it all in order and beyond what we would advise :lol:

PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:51 pm Well might as we bring this thread back up to the top...

A few nights ago my parents had 4 'visitors' approach their house bold as brass straight up the drive through the closed front gates ...
The police returned today a different officer who said we would offer you a crime prevention visit but errrr err you've got it all in order and beyond what we would advise :lol:
Sorry to hear that your folks and their neighbour had that going on. But nice that that you know they are well covered and get a seal of approval :D

I have let my spike bush under the downstairs toilet window grow fairly large - no bugger is getting through that tiny window if someone accidentally left it open to air. unless they had really thick gloves and a good lopper :twisted:
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

PreppingPingu wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:12 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:51 pm Well might as we bring this thread back up to the top...

Sorry to hear that your folks and their neighbour had that going on. But nice that that you know they are well covered and get a seal of approval :D

I have let my spike bush under the downstairs toilet window grow fairly large - no bugger is getting through that tiny window if someone accidentally left it open to air. unless they had really thick gloves and a good lopper :twisted:
Even more covered now I upgraded their CCTV over the past few days the 15 year old system was good in its day the new 1080p system however .....wow gone from 600tv lines to 3000 lines :lol:

Zedsdead

Post by Zedsdead »

This has been a good read. I’ve never really thought much about home security, never been robbed. Although I do park my van tactically.

However someone tried to deliver a parcel gone 23:00 a few weeks ago. I told them to come back tomorrow from the top window as we were in bed. It’s been troubling me since as it just felt wrong!! And I trust my instinct.

Needless to say he never came back the next day. So… I left a few simple traps just to see if anything had changed and my suspicions have been confirmed. Someone is paying us attention!! So my security will be getting brushed up over the coming months
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Zedsdead wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:26 pm This has been a good read. I’ve never really thought much about home security, never been robbed. Although I do park my van tactically.

However someone tried to deliver a parcel gone 23:00 a few weeks ago. I told them to come back tomorrow from the top window as we were in bed. It’s been troubling me since as it just felt wrong!! And I trust my instinct.

Needless to say he never came back the next day. So… I left a few simple traps just to see if anything had changed and my suspicions have been confirmed. Someone is paying us attention!! So my security will be getting brushed up over the coming months

Get on it asap it's the season for home alone DIY boobie traps :lol:

I'm still a fan of the random battery powered led lights I've done earlier models of these running on AA rechargeable batteries and they've been more reliable than most of the solar led lights .... I charge them about 4x a year

https://www.diy.com/departments/blooma- ... oreId=1218

The old "rape alarms" with a bit of DIY bodgery make great improvised trip wire alarms with some strong fishing line (tie line to pin tie other end to a fence post / little net curtain hook) scrote creeps about in the garden even in daylight fishing line at knee height is hard to see....

If you've not got an alarm one of these

https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/product ... lsrc=aw.ds

And a lithium long life green led flasher unit

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321973235395 ... SwAolakECH

Looks more realistic than some of the eBay special dummy alarms the real texcom bell box is still used often and they have 2 alternating LEDs in the blue strobe lense

And if you've got uPVC doors ts007 *** locks

Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

We were woken at 3am last night bt the sound of breaking glass in the house. Went to investigate & it was just the cat had knocked a glass off the draining board. However, it did highlight to me that I was barefoot, if it had been a burglar it could have been messy. Lesson learnt, easily slipped on versatile footwear to be ready in the bedroom from now on.