Home Security Upgrades

Homes and Retreats
Deeps

Re: Home Security Upgrades

Post by Deeps »

shocker wrote:I second that...a Ridgey molested my (now ex) wife, in an..ahem...intimate way. In a pub in Bristol. I sh!t you not.

Lessons learned - stay away from Bristol, never marry an american stripper, and be wary of Ridgeys. Amorous or not.
Cue the old joke.....

What do you do if a Ridgey starts humping your leg ?????

Fake an orgasm. :D

Hope things are well with you mate.
shocker

Post by shocker »

Yes, thanks Deeps. Had to take some time out to take care of my ailing, ageing but still farming parents. All is as well as its going to get now, so result all round...

...except for you guys, as I will be back around with more bad puns and off-colour jokes :D
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

shocker wrote:Yes, thanks Deeps. Had to take some time out to take care of my ailing, ageing but still farming parents. All is as well as its going to get now, so result all round...

...except for you guys, as I will be back around with more bad puns and off-colour jokes :D
Looking forward to the jokes and puns bro. ;) Keep em coming, glad things are sorting themselves out.
Cougar

Post by Cougar »

A note of caution on the use of the CCTV doorbell, they may be more of a risk to your electronic security than a positive for your physical security.
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/01/1 ... edentials/
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

Mark Twain

Area 4
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

shocker wrote:Yes, thanks Deeps. Had to take some time out to take care of my ailing, ageing but still farming parents. All is as well as its going to get now, so result all round...

Glad to hear it, shocker.

That article from The Register is interesting - it sounds like they were working with old software, but thats another problem in itself isn't it, keeping software updated so The Internet Of Things doesn't smack you in the face.
shocker

Post by shocker »

Thanks for the good-will A.Z! Good to be back among friends ;) :D
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
BugOut66

Post by BugOut66 »

This has been an excellent thread.

Don't think I have much to add other than to say that I am a torch nut and I have several dotted around the house. I don't have any close to any entrances / exits though, as by definition this is exactly where any intruder would enter the house by, and by that time it's too late. I have all my torches close to where I sleep and where I sit.

The other thing about torches is that the more modern CREE torches (Maglites really aren't that bright, although the 6D certainly has other winning features) generally have a strobe effect which is completely crippling to anyone trying to come towards you. Its a completely safe way to reduce any attacker to a blinded, stumbling-backwards, helpless fool.
General DeGaulle

Post by General DeGaulle »

BugOut66 wrote: Don't think I have much to add other than to say that I am a torch nut...
...And me too. Not to mention wind up lamps, torches, and also the good old parafin lamps. One question: How long have Duracell and others been printing on their packets that there is a shelf life of ten years? Is this just because they know this will sell to people like us, or do they know something we don't?
BugOut66

Post by BugOut66 »

General DeGaulle wrote:
BugOut66 wrote: Don't think I have much to add other than to say that I am a torch nut...
...And me too. Not to mention wind up lamps, torches, and also the good old parafin lamps. One question: How long have Duracell and others been printing on their packets that there is a shelf life of ten years? Is this just because they know this will sell to people like us, or do they know something we don't?
Haha, either way - I'm happy. although I am starting to invest in usb rechargeable flashlights, alongside my solar panel charging packs.
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

BugOut66 wrote:Don't think I have much to add other than to say that I am a torch nut and I have several dotted around the house. I don't have any close to any entrances / exits though, as by definition this is exactly where any intruder would enter the house by, and by that time it's too late. I have all my torches close to where I sleep and where I sit.
I do have one hanging right by the front door just as you come in. A small, non-weaponised one! It's there because if there is a local power outage as I'm coming home, it would be really good to have a torch to hand as I come in through the door. I carry a torch (actually torches!) as part of my EDC but just in case for some reason I don't have them on me, this torch is there, right by my hand as I come in.
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb