Home Security Upgrades

Homes and Retreats
Jamesey1981

Re: Home Security Upgrades

Post by Jamesey1981 »

jansman wrote:
Plymtom wrote:I'd swap the bat fr a large maglite if I were you, have a look for other threads we've done the legal home defence thing to death several times over but a bat is premeditation unless you hang the glove and ball beside it :lol:
Dead right! When I whacked a burglar with a maglight,I had no problem with plod.It was dark when it happened.

Also,a mag is easier to jab and swing in a confined space.A baseball bat ain't.

Also,are you a member of a UK baseball team? If not, it will never stand up in court.
There's a reason a lot of security guards still carry four or six cell maglights when even pocket torches are brighter and cheaper to run.
The police know it just as well as the rest of us, but I had no trouble when I clouted someone with it either, as long as you're not taking the p1ss then they're mostly ok, I know one guard that got nicked for one, but he had added a glass breaker (a big spike) and a side handle, my ordinary one did the job pretty well too if I'm honest, a lot more weight to a six cell maglight than a bat, fella went off in cuffs with a busted collar bone and I didn't get stuck with the blade he had in his hand, so that's score one to mag industries and zero to the scrote with one of his mum's steak knives.

Ditch the bat MM, you might think a jury would stand behind you, (they might) but it won't be a jury for possession of an offensive weapon, it'll be a magistrate, and there's literally no reason for that bat to be there other than as a weapon, it likely wouldn't go your way. Even if you're not home at the time, say your door is swinging open and a neighbour reports it, the police will turn up to secure your property, and then they'll nick you the second you get home.
I agree the law on self defence in most of the UK sucks, but it's the law and we just have to deal with it.

I have a four cell maglight by my door, (in case of a power cut, officer.) but I have to say that it wouldn't be my first choice in the event of a break in, that would be reaching for a certain set of keys to access something that I'm required by law to keep locked away securely and I own for legitimate sporting purposes.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Jamesey1981 wrote:There's a reason a lot of security guards still carry four or six cell maglights when even pocket torches are brighter and cheaper to run.
The police know it just as well as the rest of us, but I had no trouble when I clouted someone with it either, as long as you're not taking the p1ss then they're mostly ok, did the job pretty well too if I'm honest, a lot more weight to a six cell maglight than a bat, fella went off in cuffs with a busted collar bone and I didn't get stuck with the blade he had in his hand, so that's score one to mag industries and zero to the scrote with one of his mum's steak knives.
Nice story, I have a 2D which I actually got to go on a scope in the 90s, as you say technology has moved on :lol: My 4D is in the passageway, I would have to retreat to get it if push came to shove, there's a panic button by the door and I would never open it without looking first through the spy hole.

Both maglites have LED conversions lamps which are way better than the old bit of hot wire.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
mightymayesy

Post by mightymayesy »

Noted.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Torches/Magl ... B000IXAJVY

Plymtom wrote:
Jamesey1981 wrote:There's a reason a lot of security guards still carry four or six cell maglights when even pocket torches are brighter and cheaper to run.
The police know it just as well as the rest of us, but I had no trouble when I clouted someone with it either, as long as you're not taking the p1ss then they're mostly ok, did the job pretty well too if I'm honest, a lot more weight to a six cell maglight than a bat, fella went off in cuffs with a busted collar bone and I didn't get stuck with the blade he had in his hand, so that's score one to mag industries and zero to the scrote with one of his mum's steak knives.
Nice story, I have a 2D which I actually got to go on a scope in the 90s, as you say technology has moved on :lol: My 4D is in the passageway, I would have to retreat to get it if push came to shove, there's a panic button by the door and I would never open it without looking first through the spy hole.

Both maglites have LED conversions lamps which are way better than the old bit of hot wire.
Spoiler Alert: Everyone dies.

Prepping Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ukpreppershtf/
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

This is a great thread! That maglite just linked to on Amazon is very impressive :shock: And I really like that hosepipe. I'm doing pretty well on upgrading the garden so far this year, and a hosepipe might really come in useful.

Trying to think of my own home security precautions ...

1. always locking the (new UPVC) front door, and removing the keys - putting them on a high hook out of reach of the door and behind the meter cupboard. I've done that ever since I locked myself out and watched the locksmith break in in 15 seconds :shock: I do the same for the back door.

2. I bought DIY security film from these guys: https://www.purlfrost.com/ Its as good as they say - translucent, but you can't see a thing through it - including my keys on the windowsill, when I used to keep them there. It's only on one window, its plain, and I could be seen from the road using the stairs, didn't feel good! I also put it on an internal door with half lights, opposite the half-lighted front door, the frosting on the glass wasn't good enough to not be seen.

3. Simple things like never leaving my laptop downstairs where it can be seen, from the front or the back.

4. I have a walking stick by the front door. My mum used to use one, and I bought it for her, with the thought that eventually I might need it if my arthritis got worse.

5. a fire blanket in the kitchen. I haven't tested it yet :oops:

6. a carbon monoxide detector.

7. A fireproof container for important documents.

8. A key safe (since I locked myself out!)

Bad Me
I needed to empty the wooden shed that was dying, but the brick shed thats the eventual home of some of the stuff hasn't been renovated yet, so a lot of stuff that could be used to break into my property, like ladders, big bits of pottery (an old chimney!) is lying about my garden.

Also Bad Me
My kitchen window, and even my doors, have no curtains that can be pulled across.

Very Bad Me
I live in a semi, and the neighbour whose garden gate immediately abuts *my* garden gate has a seven foot high gate, of recently installed, well maintained wood. Mine is ancient and badly maintained. Due to be replaced this year at the same time the brick shed is renovated.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

[quote="mightymayesy"]What I'm suggesting is testing the system I suppose.
I believe in the system. I'm a law abiding, tax paying, patriot and very very concerned about my family and property. Above all else at the moment.
I'm sure a jury would stand behind me. I may be wrong but that is my perspective.
HOWEVER, all my entry / exit points have a similar set up.
A multi functional, heavy, light source to inspect movement and sound during night times is perhaps better upon reflection.
Keeping it practical UK Preppers. Much love :)
MM

That's the spirit ;) We have to be careful ( even more so for firearms owners) not to be pushing those boundaries, you could venture outside with your torch to see what is going on, but wander out in the heat of the moment certainly for me as I am in a terrace, a toe out of the door and I'm in a public place, I would call the law if anything was going on outside rather than be dragged into it, I'm a carer so my responsibility involves bearing in mind how screwed they would be if I get injured or worse because some local alcotards are having a dispute, over the threshold is a game changer as you know, reasonable force comes into play and a torch is an ideal grey area, a policeman once told me he has a largish stone bust and other heavy ornaments strategically placed with which he could pick up in the heat of the moment ( this was 25 years or more ago) which isn't a bad idea, I like the torch though as it has functionality, I like stuff that does something useful over decorative, I also have cans of WD40, gun cleaner, de icer on a narrow shelf in the passageway, I also have EDC things in my pockets except in bed, including a lighter ;)

I like the hosepipe idea, I did have a similar thing but it didn't last, and the window stops are very impressive, most of ours have limiting devices in the hinges, and the ones which open have a secondary frame with chicken wire and netting stapled on, which keeps the cats in and the flies out, they are an added obstacle, and a real boon fro anyone with indoor cats.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
greyman

Post by greyman »

Must agree with the maglight and use Duracell batteries as they are heavier.
A quick shine in the eyes first gives you valuable seconds,those million candle power lamps are good because you can't see anything when it's in your eyes.
Wind chimes above inward opening doors are a cheap early warning system.
yorkshirewolf

Post by yorkshirewolf »

Best thing i can imagine using as a deterrent if someone comes though your door uninvited is a can of spray paint;

Easy to pick up, no need to swing it, it will blind them temporarily, make them recoil backwards and as an added bonus, it makes them easily identifiable for a good while.

If you go for someone with a bat, they WILL fight back, if you spray something in someones face, they will instinctively close their eyes, scrunch their face and move back, they'll then try to rub their face/eyes afterwards.

Try it, get someone to squirt a bottle of water in your face unexpectedly and see the reaction. Now imagine a large blast of coloured, toxic chemical....

You just forgot to put it away after doing a bit of touch-up work on the car/door/fence/railings......
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

^^Me likey. :D
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
greyman

Post by greyman »

Seen a carbon dioxide fire extinguisher used to good effect too
Maybe worth one on the top of your stairs, multiple uses :D
jansman

Post by jansman »

In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.