Shelters

Homes and Retreats
Appin

Shelters

Post by Appin »

A few people have mentioned Anderson shelters recently.

As the site http://www.andersonshelters.org.uk/ points out these were cramped and cold and many people only went into them for the shortest possible period.

In the 80s the Home office did updated designs for both Anderson and Morrison shelters. In part this was to stop cowboy builders offering useless designs.

The information was published in "Domestic Nuclear Shelters - Technical Guidance"

Obviously for copyright reasons I can't simply put a scan the whole book but under fair usage I can give couple of scans.

The Anderson type design uses corrugated metal but as is noted it is much thicker than most modern equivalents. Also the Americans did some work on similar designs and noted that in clay soils these shelters did not do well. The answer appears to be that the optional "crushable" layer was important.

The most interesting part of the concrete design is the sheer scale of the reinforcement. I have seen a UK builder offering to build shelters and the reinforcement does not appear to match that specified. By the way this is for a design to resist 15 psi the 45 psi design is even more complex.
Modern Anderson shelter plan mk2.jpg
concrete shelter showing reinforcement mk2.jpg

Regards

Appin
Appin

Re: Shelters

Post by Appin »

Sorry that is the 45 psi plan.

At 15 psi the reinforcement is les but also of different quality.

Appin
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

Interesting concept however the new designs have a 90 ° bend in the axcess shaft to prevent radiation comming into the shelter via the access pipe .

Hmmmmmm
J
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
Appin

Post by Appin »

This is one of two variants of the modern Anderson that they give in the book.

The other includes the 90 degree idea and suggests using sandbags to add to the entrance shielding. I chose this design as it gives the details of the corrugated steel.

In this one the only radiation coming in via the hatch would come from fallout lying on the hatch. Any on the surrounding ground would have to traverse the soil shielding.

The book actually includes methods for calculating shielding. Interestingly the Protective factor for the buried concrete shelter is about 4000. They then calculate the PF if the hatch is lost and fallout enters the stairwell. PF = 1000

Looking at the Morrison , Anderson and concrete designs it is very clear materials used play a big part ( there are strict warnings on the Morrison design that certain types of bolt will not work). It would be very easy to get ripped off with something useless. My fathers family in WW2 had a concrete garden shelter in WW2, in reality they were likely to structurally fail. The nearest bomb fell less than 400 metres from the house so they were lucky.

Regards

Appin
defender130

Shelters

Post by defender130 »

Is it still covered by copyright ?, thought a lot of printed stuff like that expired after 25 years although I could be wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
Appin

Post by Appin »

Crown Copyright unfortunately.

To quote

"Crown Copyright

Crown copyright will exist in works made by an officer of the Crown, this includes items such as legislation and documents and reports produced by government bodies.

Crown Copyright will last for a period of 125 years from the end of the calendar year in which the work was made.

If the work was commercially published within 75 years of the end of the calendar year in which it was made, Crown copyright will last for 50 years from the end of the calendar year in which it was published."

Appin
Appin

Post by Appin »

One more partial scan to avoid the lawyers!
Modern Anderson shelter second type mk2.jpg