How about buying a wood?

Homes and Retreats
Pugwash

How about buying a wood?

Post by Pugwash »

I have always thought my boat would be the perfect bug-out location but have reconsidered, because of size. I have searched a site called 'Woodlands for sale', as they have woods for sale, all over the country from about 4 acres to 23 acres. I would like to own such a wood, maybe in Wales or Welsh border but the price is just too high; for example: Coed Tew, Carmarthenshire - Over 7½ acres, £36,000; or Coed Hedd - Peace Wood, Ceredigion - About 7½ acres, £32,000 So if about 8 people came together, this may be a doable prospect? Any thoughts or ideas?
Ray
Deeps

Re: How about buying a wood?

Post by Deeps »

Welcome to the forum mate, hope you find it helpful. Could you pop across to the Welcome section and post an introduction. Good luck with the woodland.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Welcome, Pugwash!

A boat is a good idea, and a wood is a good idea - but the thing with buying with others is that you need to know each other and trust each other (not the same as "like" each other!). Can I suggest you just enjoy learning what's on the forum, refine your ideas, get to know people and let others get to know you - something of the sort may suggest itself naturally in the end.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Not wanting to be funny but if you want to buy a wood for bugging out and nothing else and you are questioning the cost then the idea is pretty much a non starter. If you were going to work the land and get , or try to get , a return from green wood products or camping or whatever then the purchase cost would be a factor in what is in effect a business. If you are simply going to use the land for your own BOL then the purchase cost is not going to give a return and will be money tied up doing nothing . In other words if you have £36,000 lying round doing nothing then yes turn it into woodland.
Sorry if I sound negative , I'm not trying to widdle on anyone's bonfire , just practical . Either way best of luck.

Edit thinking about it and assuming you do have the cash to spare it does tie in nicely with my investment prepping thread in that buying the land could be a better investment should something happen. It should increase in value simply as land but would have a practical value post event ( assuming it isn't swarming with refugees of course) .
Last edited by grenfell on Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
piglet

Post by piglet »

There are a couple of SWOG'S on here, who could advise you on ownership of woodland. Always read the small print and know the law, because if you don't the NIMBY'S will.

36K for that much land is actually quite cheap. But it is only that cheap because of the location. And unless you are really going to make the most of it, visit regularly and enjoy it for all it can offer, then I would think you might be better off sticking with what you know and enjoy, by doing the Jaws thing.
ain't settlin'
DustyDog

Post by DustyDog »

I have also looked at woodlands and yes that is an average price for woodlands. It depends what you want to do with any woodland you buy, most woodlands bought from these types of sites have huge restrictions on them as to what you can do, you could possibly look at country located estate agents for small woodlands that maybe a farmer is selling, but if you still look at buying from woodlands UK, make sure you can get permission to do what you want. good luck.
Up in the wet South Lakeland
DustyDog

Post by DustyDog »

piglet wrote:There are a couple of SWOG'S on here.
Piglet what is a SWOG??? :lol:
Up in the wet South Lakeland
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

DustyDog wrote:
piglet wrote:There are a couple of SWOG'S on here.
Piglet what is a SWOG??? :lol:

They are a bit like Hobbits only with steel containers instead of Hobbit holes, and more heavily armed :lol:
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
munchh

Post by munchh »

I was having a look as the idea of a woodland is very nice but have a read of the "covenant" you are asked to enter into when buying!

I might be a bit thick, but to me it tells me i cannot do most of the things that i would want to do on "My" woodland?

http://www.woodlands.co.uk/buying-a-wood/covenant/
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

Been there and found out about that! from research I do know of one person who when buying his wood refused to sign anything of that sort as it basically makes a woodland useless - at which point the estate agent decided that they wanted his money more than a signed restrictive covenant.

From memory quite a few of them say basically you can't do anything except sit under a tree and think your own thoughts....
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....