So You want to Bury a shipping Container?

Homes and Retreats
Catweazle

Re: So You want to Bury a shipping Container?

Post by Catweazle »

sniper 55 wrote:Wouldn't it be better to put a hatch in the end of the apex roof rather than cut into the container?
I think so too, the container is nicely sealed - why cut a hole in it ?

I actually have quite a bit of space underneath the container, it could be used for storage, although my container is next to my 80x40 barn, so storage space not a problem.
Wulfshead

Post by Wulfshead »

I just happened to watch a thing from INFOWARS about bunkers, not that INFOWARS is my cup of tea in the greater scheme of things.
I do remember the bunker company director (CEO in modern-speak I believe :lol: ) saying that any shelter that is buried with the ceiling less than 10 feet below ground level is a complete waste of time.
The reason given was not radiation but from the issues arising from 'ground slap', where the top 10 feet of earth may become more like a wave after a blast of any great magnitude.

Wulfshead
Area 4 Coordinator

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

Wulfshead wrote:I just happened to watch a thing from INFOWARS about bunkers, not that INFOWARS is my cup of tea in the greater scheme of things.
I do remember the bunker company director (CEO in modern-speak I believe :lol: ) saying that any shelter that is buried with the ceiling less than 10 feet below ground level is a complete waste of time.
The reason given was not radiation but from the issues arising from 'ground slap', where the top 10 feet of earth may become more like a wave after a blast of any great magnitude.

Wulfshead
I would think a lot will depend on the power of the blast, the distance away from it and soil type, most prepper type shelters are probably not much below 10 foot deep, and even many official shelters are only that deep.
Found this whch gives some infomation (PDF)
https://www.fourmilab.ch/etexts/www/effects/eonw_6.pdf
Wulfshead

Post by Wulfshead »

Good read Sniper, and sorry it took me so long to get back to you.
Just hope they don't use in the near future one of those 50 Megaton beasties anywhere near my buried tea chest in my flower bed :lol:

If I was gonna build one I'd go deep just in case !

Thanks again,
Wulfshead
Area 4 Coordinator

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack
Bijela

Post by Bijela »

Ben Jackson wrote:
There are some great ways to overcome the problems with them, but I think that the relative ease in which people can get their hands on a cheap ready-built structure is what is making them so popular. You could fab up and weld a structure ten times as strong and long lasting, but without the skills you end up having to pay someone.

From my research so far, purpose built steel/fibreglass/plastic tanks specifically made by expert are the best option. Once again it comes down to price, for a lot of average people the price is just beyond reach.
Other options would be to have a group of you. Welder, plumber, electrician and someone with a little cash too. Exchange skills for jobs.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

I know it's a bit off topic (sort of) but I wonder what the chances are of buying an old disused WW2 shelter/tunnel, theres loads of them around all over the country, pretty much built for the job.
I suspect doing the container properly is going to cost a fair bit, an old disused shelter tunnel which isn't used anyway might not work out too expensive to modify.
Just a thought.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

There's a member on here gets alerts for unusual places for sale, including bunkers etc. I can't think who it is or find a post. Maybe someone else can remember.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

It occurs to me that railway sleepers would probably make a pretty solid building material for a semi subterranean shelter. A proper bunker would be a big ask and as shipping containers aren't really built to be covered in earth they're not ideal either. Depending on how big you wanted it, you can get sections of concrete piping that might be big enough to put a bed and some bits and bobs.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Traditional sleepers soaked in creosote and goodness knows what otherkindsofcancercausing chemicals may very well hold up underground. The modern supposedly pressure treated sleepers sold for landscaping will have a much shorter lifespan , a consideration if planning to use the bunker in 20 years time. Waterproofing the whole thing might be a problem and the length of the sleepers will restrict the size and shape of the thing. On the positive side building a bunker with them wouldn't attract as much attention as bringing in cranes and what have you to move big concrete or steel tubes.
Funnily enough a friend is looking at building a garage with a cellar, principally to keep the height of the building down and to keep the footprint as small as possible ( regs and what have you) . His initially " just dig down " comment wasn't really thought through. With his brother I did a few back of a beer mat type of calculations , 32 square metres , 3 metres down gives 96 cubic metres of soil to get rid of. 8.5 metre skips means 11or 12 of them at £160 a go gives £1760-£1920 just to cart away the soil without counting the cost of digging it out or anything else.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

grenfell wrote:Traditional sleepers soaked in creosote and goodness knows what otherkindsofcancercausing chemicals may very well hold up underground. The modern supposedly pressure treated sleepers sold for landscaping will have a much shorter lifespan , a consideration if planning to use the bunker in 20 years time. Waterproofing the whole thing might be a problem and the length of the sleepers will restrict the size and shape of the thing. On the positive side building a bunker with them wouldn't attract as much attention as bringing in cranes and what have you to move big concrete or steel tubes.
Funnily enough a friend is looking at building a garage with a cellar, principally to keep the height of the building down and to keep the footprint as small as possible ( regs and what have you) . His initially " just dig down " comment wasn't really thought through. With his brother I did a few back of a beer mat type of calculations , 32 square metres , 3 metres down gives 96 cubic metres of soil to get rid of. 8.5 metre skips means 11or 12 of them at £160 a go gives £1760-£1920 just to cart away the soil without counting the cost of digging it out or anything else.

This old trick should help.....