Out of interest home security

Homes and Retreats
Trojanhorse

Re: Out of interest home security

Post by Trojanhorse »

I work on the 3 Ds on home security. Google it as you can expand it as much as you like.

D - Deter ie signs etc
D - Detect ie cameras, gravel path etc
D - Deny ie fences, barb wire etc

I found keeping that in the back of mind helps formulate a plan.

Just keep it legal.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:38 am
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:39 pm
jansman wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:21 pmMagic! :D
Had no more attempts after that bar an attempted snatch of a decent mountain bike whilst he was open .... He had a long 10m or so length of high tensile wire rope with a simple metal eyelet screwed on the wall at each end and a padlock to fix passed through the back wheels .. The display of bikes tumbled as they attempted to grab a bike and run as the cable pulled tight dragging bikes off their little display stands all caught on his CCTV system on VHS tape (remember those) :lol: (one holding the door open so his mate could get out... Or so they hoped...

Well police not interested as they got away with nothing... He showed a few big regulars the footage... Apparently one of bloke sent his apologies a few hours later (draw your own conclusions) :twisted: but they got some power bars and powdered muscle maker as a thanks :lol:
Security has become an issue again here.Next door’s jungle of a garden is now clear. That 200’ strip of brambles was a fantastic barrier to scrotes getting over the wall two gardens down and into mine.When I first built the workshop many years ago,there was an attempt to bust it open at 7pm one January.My old collie cross lurcher was lying on the settee next to me,his ears pricked and he started growling.I knew something was wrong ( he was as good a guard dog as he was a hunting dog). I let him out the back door,and two youths flew to the top of my garden and tried to clear the wall.One did.One didn’t.Sid,my dog,had him by the leg! Well,I told him to “leave” which he did,and I had a go! :lol: I kicked his ar#e down to the yard and the Mrs had called plod. I stood scrote against the wall and told the dog to “stay” - I only had to click my tongue and the dog would have him ( it’s how we hunted quietly at night).

Plod turned up,established nothing was nicked ( door was damaged though) and promptly asks the youth ( with whom the constable was on first name terms) if he wanted to press charges against me! :roll: I replied, “ you are f****** joking?” and the copper told me to stop using bad language.On my own sodding property! Anyhow the youth said he would consider it,and went on his way. The following evening my brother and me ‘ bumped’ into him on the car park of the pub he drank in. A little chat :mrgreen: persuaded him it would be a bad health choice if I was prosecuted.

These days,security means approach lights,good locks and motion sensor cameras to our phones.Still wouldn’t mind my old dog back though,bless him...

You seen this?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-56468719

:evil:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

Yeah. Saw it earlier. Scumbags. Arson is nasty. I am assuming it’s youths.Trouble with youths these days,they have no moral compass.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
korolev

Post by korolev »

jansman wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:40 am Yeah. Saw it earlier. Scumbags. Arson is nasty. I am assuming it’s youths.Trouble with youths these days,they have no moral compass.
Can't agree with that. It's a few feral youths in a few places. The vast majority of young people are honest and hard working.
Without going into a long political diatribe, the problem of feral youths is lack of opportunity and deprivation; some of these are third generation non-workers.
jansman

Post by jansman »

korolev wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:28 am
jansman wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:40 am Yeah. Saw it earlier. Scumbags. Arson is nasty. I am assuming it’s youths.Trouble with youths these days,they have no moral compass.
Can't agree with that. It's a few feral youths in a few places. The vast majority of young people are honest and hard working.
Without going into a long political diatribe, the problem of feral youths is lack of opportunity and deprivation; some of these are third generation non-workers.
I agree that it’s not ALL young people.However, many that are slurping slurping around our village,and certainly that patronise my place of work fit my previous description.I’ll agree to disagree and leave it there.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

It was pretty bad were we lived 30 years ago and there was a definite lack of moral compass for some of the youth. You only need a few "wrong 'uns" of any age to cause havoc and make life a misery for everyone else. The local gang made it to the daily papers and there were more than a few crim's but most people living there of all ages were no problem.