World War Z

Read something good? Written something good? Link it, or copy it here!
mallie99

World War Z

Post by mallie99 »

Hiya, has anyone read World War Z?

I have it on Audible (works rather well, since it's an "Oral" account of the Zombie Wars ;) ) and am currently half way through it. So far, it really does press home the whole "Prepping" mentality and how the author imagines everyone would cope. There are a couple of chapters specifically going on about how nobody had the right mentality when it came to evacuating their homes. Made me think of this forum :)

Mallie
Entirely certain that nothing is certain

Briggs

Re: World War Z

Post by Briggs »

WWZ a good read. If you're into the undead/infected then Day by Day Armageddon is quite good.
I recently experienced Plymouth City centre so that's why I prep.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Got it, I like it too

If you're into that sort of thing I can recommend quite a few like it
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
preppingsu

Post by preppingsu »

Really enjoyed the book, nothing like the film... :roll:

Some interesting perspectives.

How about you pick one or two so we can discuss (obviously thinking that the ideas are transferable to other scenarios not just zombies :D ).
Lone

Post by Lone »

I read the book which I did enjoy. The film made an interesting point, which I raised on a zombie forum out of passing interest in their responses.

It seems in many zombie scenarios, those who would like to be survivors fighting them, actually seem to specifically concentrate on what are known as ‘Romero’ zombies - slow, unthinking, clumsy - but literally hate the idea of these new fast zombies, which are alert and attacking rapidly - reason, the human survivors couldn’t possibly win against the latter, preferring to only prep for the Romero-types.

Now, this is a flaw in their prep I reckon...insteadI think...prep for fast hope for slow
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I read it a while back after seeing the film. I liked the interview format, the tone was very realistic, but I can't remember much more about it, sorry.

Interesting point about the "fast" zombies :) but surely zombie forums aren't about prepping for zombies, are they? Aren't they about fun, even if its "realistic" fun? I like the Arisen series - military zomfic - though I don't usually.
Lone

Post by Lone »

Arzosah

You’d be surprised just how serious members are about zombies, and the prep that goes into defending against them, mostly on US forums...firearm discussions holding the main. Fortunately I’ve studied modern firearms as an interest, not using them or even owning, more identification of types, calibres, magazine capacities, etc., owning about 15 volumes of Janes Infantry Weapons.

In fact, when I think of it, they got a bit annoyed with me for even suggesting they weren’t up to it, regarding fast zombies...the Romero zombies can even be stopped by a garden gate...not very challenging to say the least...wouldn’t like it myself, but not exactly frightening.

Fast zombies, or even lately ‘thinking zombies’ or as they like to call ‘the infected’ are a more daunting and terrifying prospect for post-apocalypse survival.

Actually, a minor character was based on myself for a zombie novel, as a survivor not a zombie, a few sentences...but still my claim to fame...
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

preppingsu wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:12 pm Really enjoyed the book, nothing like the film... :roll:
That's good to hear , i gave up on the film utter tripe i thought.
Not that i take zombies as anywhere near a serious threat surely the best prep would be to just hide for a few months. After all they are animated dead bodies that would fall apart after a short time. Worst time would be the very beginning . As zombies aren't real nobody , the general public , preppers , survivalists or the military is going to stab someone in the head when the first ones appear . We'd all think it was some sort of stunt or prank and not use lethal force to protect ourselves. Sure that would change but it would take a little while for it to sink in.
Anyway back to real life things.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Lone wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:42 pm Arzosah

You’d be surprised just how serious members are about zombies, and the prep that goes into defending against them, mostly on US forums...firearm discussions holding the main.

Actually, a minor character was based on myself for a zombie novel, as a survivor not a zombie, a few sentences...but still my claim to fame...
Okay, I'm officially boggled at the seriousness :? but that's great fun to have a character based on you in a zombie novel :mrgreen: