TEOTWAWKI / Survival Movies

Read something good? Written something good? Link it, or copy it here!
iceprep

TEOTWAWKI / Survival Movies

Post by iceprep »

Wasn't too sure where to post this. Any how.

Just glancing at movie releases this year, I noticed there are a few that could be classed as TEOTWAWKI or Survival movies, such as:

World War Z
Pacific Rim
This is the End
After Earth
There is probably more

My question is:

Which past / present movie in your opinion, is the worst for the TEOTWAWKI genre and which is the most believable?

Past movies would include but not limited to: Deep Impact, 2012, The Day after Tomorrow, I am Legend, Armageddon, Independence Day etc
Quite a few Will Smith movies there... Hmmmmm

To get the ball rolling

I think 2012 was dreadful and the least plausible of any of the movies in this genre! In isolation the events of Yellowstone scaled back, who knows, but not the plate tectonic shifts with the speed and power as depicted in the movie. So 2012 has to be the worst.

As for the best... Not too sure. Of them all possibly I am Legend is possibly the most believable, with the recent developments of human genetic engineering and GM adaptions of other organisms, then I could believe the as humans, we could develop a biological weapon which could devastate humanity either by accident or deliberate.

Any recommendations for must see movies of the genre are appreciated if not because they are memorable.
Arzosah

Re: TEOTWAWKI / Survival Movies

Post by Arzosah »

A Boy And His Dog - starring Don Johnson when he was in his early 20s, before the hair got in the way :) Very small scale, very funny, pretty dark humour.

2012 - thats just a piece of fluff, I loved the drive to the little plane, and the scenes at Las Vegas Airport. Any big scale film like that is going to speed things up and also be completely unrealistic - in fact, The Day After Tomorrow made a virtue of the "speeding things up", a real plot point, by saying how unforeseeable it was. That was quite clever.

The fairly recent TV version of Day of the Triffids wasn't bad, got a bit bogged down with the newsreader being captured by the Eddie Izard baddie.
sg4

Post by sg4 »

Origional war of the worlds. Dont mess with bacteria or viruses. They still kill us and we live here
iceprep

Post by iceprep »

The Road is on BBC2 now, I'm sure it will be available on iplayer, can't stay up to watch it.
dodgy360

Post by dodgy360 »

Not quite a TEOTWAWKI movie but believable IMHO.

Just watched the first half of Contagion on the train this morning.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1598778/

I couldn’t help feeling uncomfortable on the train with people coughing and sneezing. The urge to grab a face mask and anti-bacterial wipes was strong :-)

A good thought provoking movie for me as my current work requires me to travel to certain global hot spots and also to be in close contact with people on London public transport. It also explores what will happen very quickly in urban areas.

My medical preps and precautions at home are fine although I have not gone and setup a quarantine room. Add to the list I think.

I am not sure I want my children to watch this movie though – Very scary especially with new strains of Avian Flu and Norovirus making the news.
Sheepster

Post by Sheepster »

Watched the road the other night, Very good film albeit completely depressing lol.
jonb

Post by jonb »

No one has mentioned the Omega Man , Charlton Heston at his best.

Saw the film as a kid in the 70's , for its time ( no CGI ) it was good , check out Robert Nevilles ( Heston ) preps !

Modern day , The Walking Dead is very clever , ok take away the zombie hordes , vey interesting concept.
Toddie

Post by Toddie »

This thread might be helpful to you all:

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=6005&hilit=shtf+film
Area 8.

"Better to have and not need, than to need and not have"
badgersden

Post by badgersden »

just seen The Colony not to bad,worth a watch
Burt Gummer

Post by Burt Gummer »

The Andromeda Strain.

It's not beyond the realms of possibility, especially now we are venturing into outer space.
Just doing what I can with what I got.