TEOTWAWKI / Survival Movies

Read something good? Written something good? Link it, or copy it here!
Stasher

Re: TEOTWAWKI / Survival Movies

Post by Stasher »

ForgeCorvus wrote:
Captain Darling wrote:Has anyone seen 'When the Wind Blows'

Its about an old(ish) couple who live in the country and get caught up in the Cold War going hot.

Its made by the same people as 'The Snowman' but its truly horrible watching these two try and deal with nuclear winter with no real clue of what's just happened.
Yep.
Once you get over the format its well worth watching..... In fact part of the reason its as harrowing as it is, is because its animated in the same way as the rather 'fluffy' Snowman.

See this nice couple? Well, despite them doing what the Gov. tell them to. They are both going to die in a truely horrible way.

I know that this isn't going to sit well on a Prep-site, but there are some things you don't really want to survive. Living through a Nuclear blast only to be terminally irradiated is one of those things.

The film "And I alone survived" is based on a true story of a plane crash in 1976, it shows that just refusing to quit is important.

Old school, Day of the Triffids. Either the book or the 1981 BBC series
Couldn't agree more
Knowledge is power
jaqian

Post by jaqian »

Jeremiah Johnson (1972)
- A mountain man who wishes to live the life of a hermit becomes the unwilling object of a long vendetta by Indians, and proves to be a match for their warriors in one-on-one combat on the early frontier.
All is Lost (2013)
- After a collision with a shipping container at sea, a resourceful sailor finds himself, despite all efforts to the contrary, staring his mortality in the face.

both Robert Redford films, the man is a legend
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Cernunnos wrote: Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:57 am Watched "Snowpiercer" a while back, didnt seem a bad film.
Synopsis-Set in a future where a failed climate-change experiment kills all life on the planet except for a lucky few who boarded the Snowpiercer, a train that travels around the globe, where a class system emerges.
http://www.thedarehub.com/tv/watch/snowpiercer-2013
Another one i've just gotten round to watching. Weird sort of film and if i'm honest i'm not quite sure what to make of it. Probably very unlikely for a survival movie thing but entertaining in a escapist sort of way.
omega man

Post by omega man »

Not sure if it's already been mentioned? (I checked back a few pages but got bored)

How It Ends
2018 151h 53m Action/Thriller
Worried about his pregnant fiancée amid a sudden cataclysm, a young lawyer embarks on a dangerous road trip west with his future father-in-law.
Starring:Theo James,Forest Whitaker,Kat Graham

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJyyJ7lexnM

I quite enjoyed this, is on Netflix too :D

OM
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Ah now that's one i have seen . A few things left unexplained and a few plot holes but enjoyable enough. I tend to think a lot of the movies of this genre tend to focus on the "what not to do" such as tearing off across country without any real plan or intel . Still i suppose films are all about bums on seats and making it action filled is a recipe that works.
dizzydays

Post by dizzydays »

Netflix - 'Between' isn't bad. Well, no one will learn anything from it I'm sure but during a quarantine what else to watch but a series about um, a quarantine :lol: :lol:

Enter a virus and a town suddenly in lockdown - some serious measures to keep those people in! This is less of a 'please maintain a social distance' , more of a 'ok soldiers and landmines' kinda deal.

DD