TEOTWAWKI / Survival Movies

Read something good? Written something good? Link it, or copy it here!
preppingsu

Re: TEOTWAWKI / Survival Movies

Post by preppingsu »

lonewolf wrote:
Arzosah wrote:
lonewolf wrote:got news for you peeps their all a work of fiction, wont be anything like that in reality, more like what Selco went through in the Yugoslav war.
What on earth makes you think anyone believes that these works of fiction would be anything approaching the truth?
sorry, I thought this was a preppers site not a film club.
As a prepper you also need downtime. For some that will be going the range and firing a few rounds, for some it will be knitting, whittling etc for others it may be some TV time. Why not watch a film and as preppers, we tend to be drawn to the disaster type movies.
So what? Does that make us bad preppers? Why not discuss on here? If you don't like it bigpaul, you can b****r off to the other forum you frequent and moan about us to your buddies over there!

Anyway, you can learn a lot from these often bad movies....we ought to start another thread about that. :|
lonewolf

Post by lonewolf »

not sure how to reply to that, how are bad movies anything to do with prepping? its not like they show us anything usefull , maybe apart from how NOT to do it.....hmmmm, maybe thats it! :lol:
Adapt or Die, there is no middle ground.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Yup, downtime, a fantasy around the extremes of the sorts of things we prep for - I bet a *lot* of Californians prep for an earthquake, and there it was, in "2012" :shock: and absolutely, we can also learn a lot from "what not to do" - but personally, I like that ten minutes when they're racing to the airport in the car :lol: I think the special effects are a bit fab :lol: the story's bonkers and the characters are terrible, of course, but so what?

If we or our families lived through it, I'm sure we'd feel differently, but most of them are entertaining in their own way, for a moment.
jansman

Post by jansman »

On Saturday my brother and I watched 'Threads'. This is a truly scary film. I remember watching it back in '84. Shocking, as we were still involved in the Cold War. The film provoked discussion about the situation in the Ukraine.
On the other hand , last night we watched' John Bishop, The Sunshine Tour'. Boy did we laugh! :lol: It hurt! :lol: All about balance I reckon.
Me favourite is still the original BBC version of 'Day Of The Triffids', a faithful version of my favourite book.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Ghost Prepper

Post by Ghost Prepper »

The Book Of Eli is a very extreme TEOTWAWKI Genre movie, though being a huge fan of the Fallout: New Vegas video Game, i loved the movie
AREA 13 CO-ORDINATOR

Best Prepping Advice : TELL NO BODY :)
redskies

Post by redskies »

jansman wrote:On Saturday my brother and I watched 'Threads'. This is a truly scary film. I remember watching it back in '84. Shocking, as we were still involved in the Cold War. The film provoked discussion about the situation in the Ukraine.
On the other hand , last night we watched' John Bishop, The Sunshine Tour'. Boy did we laugh! :lol: It hurt! :lol: All about balance I reckon.
Me favourite is still the original BBC version of 'Day Of The Triffids', a faithful version of my favourite book.

I watched Threads for the first time quite recently. I sincerely hope that where we are doesn't go that way, it was horrifying!
Quercus-robur

Post by Quercus-robur »

redskies wrote:
jansman wrote:On Saturday my brother and I watched 'Threads'. This is a truly scary film. I remember watching it back in '84. Shocking, as we were still involved in the Cold War. The film provoked discussion about the situation in the Ukraine.

I watched Threads for the first time quite recently. I sincerely hope that where we are doesn't go that way, it was horrifying!
Threads is the most horrifying film I have ever watched. After watching it I actually felt depressed and that if it were ever to happen like that then what would be the point of continuing to exist. That film is a hope killer!

Have read a couple of posts on this thread suggesting we shouldn't even be talking about films and the like as it is not strictly prepping. I disagree completely. Feisty made an excellent comment on another thread, something along the lines of 'Prepping is simply doing something positive to enhance our chances for the future.' Even if a film or activity teaches us no survival skills and simply makes us feel good and lifts our mood. That is enough. A healthy mindset cannot be underestimated. Anything that improves moral should be actively encouraged.

Qr
Area 9 Coordinator and Resident

'At Spes Infracta'

'I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore'.
Stasher

Post by Stasher »

The worst ever, the walking dead. It's excellent until it's a pile of poo.

Roads
I am legend had the decency to have trees growing out of them. Not twd

The farm.
The worlds first silent generator, running on god knows what

New series, a few months later...............
ooo, conveniently we've left out winter

Monster movies are still the best (except cloverfield)

:D
Knowledge is power
Holomon

Post by Holomon »

Babylon AD was alright for a Dystopian near-future film, the overall premise was a bit rubbish but the decline in society was well done.

Tomorrow, When the War Began was a good one about Oz being invaded, a lot like Red Dawn really.

I know this is films, but in terms of books The Jerusalem Man is really good. Set well after the fall of the earth and the poles changing, so people don't know a lot about what came before (like the Titanic being halfway up a mountain in the desert and them assuming it's some sort of temple.) Society has just gotten to the percussion/cartridge change in weapons.

Computer Games wise, I really enjoyed Homefront, with the US being invaded by Korea and having to fight back as a resistance fighter. There was some harrowing stuff in that, like them excavating football stadiums to use as mass graves.
"The problem with internet quotes is that you can't always depend on their accuracy" - Abraham Lincoln, 1864
Stasher

Post by Stasher »

I think what I like most about this thread is that people are recommending films that I've never heard of (in my small and imperfectly formed world I am the person with the film knowledge!) I'm quite excited to try some of these new gems, They best not be horrors, I can't stand horrors. Unless they involve dragons... :)
Knowledge is power