Kindle for 72hr bug out bag ?

Read something good? Written something good? Link it, or copy it here!
reciloy

Kindle for 72hr bug out bag ?

Post by reciloy »

I was told to bring two of everything, if possible. While this is a good idea, it adds weight, in fact just removing one (of two) books and a few other items I saved >500kg !

I would like to know if an Amazon Kindle (water resistant) is suitable for replacing a book(s) in a 72hr bug out bag ?
jansman

Re: Kindle for 72hr bug out bag ?

Post by jansman »

No books in any emergency kit of mine. If you don’t know now, you won’t know when you are under extreme stress. Neuron pathways and all that.

Example: Covid 19 has forced our business to change trading terms. Basically the internet. It’s been good, regarding turnover. But it has meant FAR more mindless physical work. It has taken two very experienced butchers, with 100 combined years of real- world experience to sort the job out. All about NOT working!

Without us two old gits, it would have been a different tale.

If you don’t know now, how to use the kit in your bag without a book, have a word with yourself. Just like going for a job; you need experience to succeed.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I'm absolutely taking my kindle with me in my bug out bag. Entertainment, the possibility of basic internet access including email, crap books and classic books to read to take my mind off things, plus a few actual, yknow, prepping books. We talk on here about a bug out bag being described as a hotel bag very often - kindle is ideal for that type of bug out.

OP, I don't really know what you're asking, or what your kindle would be containing, but the above is what mine contains.
reciloy

Post by reciloy »

Thank you for your contributions.

I meant escapism, not learning. My 72hr bag is designed for a city environment, not rural, so I have one book to read, but it might not be enough, and two adds weight.

I just thought that a Kindle might be better, and wanted to know peoples experiences.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Definitely for escapism! Mine also contains a little mah jong game, and even a candy crush, very old :oops: just remember to bring the charging stuff.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

As a commuter with 2-3 hours on the trains every day (before this year) I very rapidly migrated from paperbacks to a Kindle to the Kindle app on my phone. Books are just too heavy to carry around although I strongly prefer real books for anything non-fiction.
The basic black and white Kindle has a fantastic battery life so would be suitable for a bit of light relief in an evacuation centre where it may not be easy to charge your phone. But for general city type bugging out I assume you would be taking your phone with a charger so I would just put the Kindle app on there and save the weight.
reciloy

Post by reciloy »

Researching into these ePaper readers I see the competition has been slimmed down to just a few, and they all trawl you private data (especially Bezos).

You might be on to something about using a smartphone (which I would likely have with me).

I've searched online and none of the reviews delve into "privacy issues", despite all uk residing domains spamming you with a privacy pop-up on every website (when first loaded). It may be ten years out of date (nearly eleven now) but this guide says it all:

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2010/12/2 ... ok-privacy

What a shame.
redskies

Post by redskies »

Kindle - around 400 books

Kindle app on tablet with the biggest sized memory card that fits - 2k+ books & counting.

I know which one I'd take, along with a solar charger!
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

And as far as privacy goes, I tend to assume that if you are online, you have just shared with the world to some degree.
This week's Sunburst hack shows that it does not matter how paranoid you are, you can still lose data as the US military have just learned.
It is why it look me so many years to join up here and start posting!
Trojanhorse

Post by Trojanhorse »

Strangely when I take my bag on the long delivery runs - last one was 12.5 hour round trip of driving I did at first take a book.

Now if I just have extra cash in the bag so I can buy a book etc.

But if I was in a proper SHTF situation I would ditch the book and add food I think.

Perhaps I need to re think this.