Kindle for 72hr bug out bag ?

Read something good? Written something good? Link it, or copy it here!
reciloy

Re: Kindle for 72hr bug out bag ?

Post by reciloy »

GillyBee wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:13 am And as far as privacy goes, I tend to assume that if you are online, you have just shared with the world to some degree.
This week's Sunburst hack shows that it does not matter how paranoid you are, you can still lose data as the US military have just learned.
It is why it look me so many years to join up here and start posting!
There is a difference between information voluntarily parted with, and that of which is logged of a users general actions. I accept some form of monitoring e.g. the number of posts I have made on this forum. But not the paragraphs of which I have highlighted, and the time it takes me to turn a page.

I think in the end I'll just take a book.
redskies

Post by redskies »

GillyBee wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:13 am And as far as privacy goes, I tend to assume that if you are online, you have just shared with the world to some degree.
This week's Sunburst hack shows that it does not matter how paranoid you are, you can still lose data as the US military have just learned.
It is why it look me so many years to join up here and start posting!

The tablet has no card in it for calling etc, and I'm pretty sure I could disable it. Spends the vast majority of its time offline. I do have back ups, but that's going to involve several kindles, because a lot of the books I have are of the useful variety.
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

You can pick up a used Kindle cheap on ebay, the batteries even when old last a lot longer than any phone will. 4GB Kindle will store well over 2000 books, they can be recharged from a powerbank, they are worth the money for sure. Two bug out bags at home, both have a Kindle packed.

Privacy? Better than a phone and you can turn wifi off.
Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.
reciloy

Post by reciloy »

While there are many more opportunities to exploit and entire OS, the Kindle software is explicitly designed with data trawling in mind.

Were there a way to manually hack and disconnect one from Amazons network, reliably and without Amazon fighting back by resetting changes when synchronising, then that would be the solution. But that is not how Amazon designed their Kindle.

I’d feel more secure with a dead tree in my hands, but overall iOS has made a lot of effort to widen that gap over its competitors.

Everything else stands, the battery life and convenience, but not at the hands of my privacy... perhaps I could create a faux Amazon account ?
reciloy

Post by reciloy »

By the way, logging into this site is not secure !
Attachments
C86BB256-36A3-4D69-8AC7-2A2B80BEA26D.jpeg
redskies

Post by redskies »

reciloy wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:54 am By the way, logging into this site is not secure !
The cookie notice isn't GDPR compliant either :P
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

reciloy wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:52 am ... perhaps I could create a faux Amazon account ?
So, besides Yangtze knowing what else you've been shopping for whats the problem?
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

Love my Kindles, have four now. Standard Kindle you should be able to store around 1000 books so enough to keep you going.

I'm not advocating piracy but I'm told you can download pretty much any book you want from torrent sites.

Great bit of kit and well worth having
Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.