The Spread

Read something good? Written something good? Link it, or copy it here!
Jillybean

The Spread

Post by Jillybean »

Has anyone read 'The Spread' by Sean Deville? It's a Zombie book. It's set in the UK, August 2019 and there are very similar aspects to the real world. I'm part way through and It's not as easy reading as others. It's a slow build, but really interesting how transmission takes place. Some of the similarities are disconcerting and I have joked with some of my nurse friends to let me know if anyone turns into a zombie.
Arzosah

Re: The Spread

Post by Arzosah »

Haven't read it, sorry. I've just downloaded a free sample - the reviews are so contradictory, once you read them, I wasn't willing to go ahead and buy it, even at 99p :oops:
/cheapskate

Because I like apocafic, I've sort of *had* to get into zombie novels, but they're not my first choice, tbh. There again, like you, I see a *lot* of parallels between the apocafic I read (not just zombies) and present day - even though something was written 15 - 20 years ago. Authors make the effects of the events bigger than they are in real life, but the parallels are striking.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:48 am Haven't read it, sorry. I've just downloaded a free sample - the reviews are so contradictory, once you read them, I wasn't willing to go ahead and buy it, even at 99p :oops:
/cheapskate

Because I like apocafic, I've sort of *had* to get into zombie novels, but they're not my first choice, tbh. There again, like you, I see a *lot* of parallels between the apocafic I read (not just zombies) and present day - even though something was written 15 - 20 years ago. Authors make the effects of the events bigger than they are in real life, but the parallels are striking.
I like that- Apocafic.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Jillybean

Post by Jillybean »

Arzosah wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:48 am Haven't read it, sorry. I've just downloaded a free sample - the reviews are so contradictory, once you read them, I wasn't willing to go ahead and buy it, even at 99p :oops:
/cheapskate
I have prime unlimited. Reading is my escapism and it works out cheaper this way (for me). Not sure if I would pay for it, however I am enjoying the behind the scenes aspect of how the virus spreads. I will go on to read the other books. Partly because I'm running out of the type books I normally read.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

jansman wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:09 pm
Arzosah wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:48 am Because I like apocafic, I've sort of *had* to get into zombie novels, but they're not my first choice, tbh.
I like that- Apocafic.
Good stuff! It comes from science fiction fans, who write their own stories associated with books/films/tv series that they like.

If anyone goes hunting for any on the net, be warned - take the sex warnings seriously, they're not kidding :mrgreen:

Jillybean - what stories do you normally go for? I range widely - I like apocafic, as I say, but I also like Jane Austen :P
Jillybean

Post by Jillybean »

I'm a huge fan of zombie fiction, but ones with a story, not just gore. I also like crime, fantasy (vampire, witch, fae etc) and have recently read a selection of Margaret Atwood, although found these quite disturbing. I do like apocalyptic but feel safer reading zombies as it is fiction and not within the realms of reality, but also get to think, what would I do in this situation. I think perhaps I should try something less dark :oops: