27 years in the woods!

Read something good? Written something good? Link it, or copy it here!
Alf_resco.

27 years in the woods!

Post by Alf_resco. »

Yes, there seems to be a lot of theft, but imagine doing 27 years in the woods!!
Seems like we all need to stoc up on booze!

"His first goal was to get fat. This was a life-or-death necessity. "I gorged myself on sugar and alcohol," he said. "It’s the quickest way to gain weight, and I liked the inebriation."

Some interesting tips & tricks in here along with some unimaginables.

"It’s dangerous to sleep too long in winter." When seriously frigid weather descended, he conditioned himself to fall asleep at 7:30 P.M. and get up at 2 A.M. "That way, at the depth of cold, I was awake." If he remained in bed any longer, condensation from his body could freeze his sleeping bag. "If you try and sleep through that kind of cold, you might never wake up."

https://www.gq.com/story/the-last-true- ... obal-en-GB
DO NOT READ THE SENTENCE BELOW.

Oooh you rebel...
jansman

Re: 27 years in the woods!

Post by jansman »

Alf_resco. wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:59 am Yes, there seems to be a lot of theft, but imagine doing 27 years in the woods!!
Seems like we all need to stoc up on booze!

"His first goal was to get fat. This was a life-or-death necessity. "I gorged myself on sugar and alcohol," he said. "It’s the quickest way to gain weight, and I liked the inebriation."

Some interesting tips & tricks in here along with some unimaginables.

"It’s dangerous to sleep too long in winter." When seriously frigid weather descended, he conditioned himself to fall asleep at 7:30 P.M. and get up at 2 A.M. "That way, at the depth of cold, I was awake." If he remained in bed any longer, condensation from his body could freeze his sleeping bag. "If you try and sleep through that kind of cold, you might never wake up."

https://www.gq.com/story/the-last-true- ... obal-en-GB
That was an excellent read.Thanks.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Has anyone else read this? "The Good Life: Up the Yukon without a Paddle" by Dorian Amos.
It describe a Cornish couple's first year in the Yukon in the 21st century. Plenty to ponder for off-gridders and preppers . I have trouble imagining how tough it would be living in a Yukon winter let alone sleeping in a tent while trying to build a cabin to move into in temperatures of -25C or worse.
It is not available for free unless you have kindle unlimited but definitely a recommended read for one modern couple's survival lessons learnt the hard way.
Alf_resco.

Post by Alf_resco. »

GillyBee wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:26 am Has anyone else read this? "The Good Life: Up the Yukon without a Paddle" by Dorian Amos.
It describe a Cornish couple's first year in the Yukon in the 21st century. Plenty to ponder for off-gridders and preppers . I have trouble imagining how tough it would be living in a Yukon winter let alone sleeping in a tent while trying to build a cabin to move into in temperatures of -25C or worse.
It is not available for free unless you have kindle unlimited but definitely a recommended read for one modern couple's survival lessons learnt the hard way.
Might be worth sourcing.. I'll have a peep.

Oooh you rebel...
korolev

Post by korolev »

Good read.
For someone who thinks running out of mushrooms is a hardship I cannot begin to imagine what it was like; I doubt I'd survive a week in those conditions.
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

Thanks Alf for that link - that was fascinating and somewhat thought provoking.
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
Alf_resco.

Post by Alf_resco. »

PreppingPingu wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:37 pm Thanks Alf for that link - that was fascinating and somewhat thought provoking.
I normally just skim read, but that got me from start to finish!

Oooh you rebel...
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Read it through myself . Interesting but the question in my mind all the way through was why?. Why go in the first place? Why not build a better shelter if he intended to spend the rest of his life there? But the biggest why to me is why fund it all through crime? I found it hard to have any empathy with him and if he'd been shot by one of his victims i'd have had very little sympathy. Sorry if it offends people but i find very little to glorify .