Tin Can Cook

Read something good? Written something good? Link it, or copy it here!
Quill

Tin Can Cook

Post by Quill »

Picked up Jack Monroe's new book today and had a read through it. As the title suggests, it's all about cooking food from tin cans and has 75 recipes. I have to say, was very surprised at how original she's been with the recipes, looking forward to trying out a few of them. This is gonna add so much variety to the dark days huddling in my bunker hiding from the zomble hordes :D.

Best of all, it's only a fiver or four quid if you buy it on the kindle store (amazon do a free kindle app for phones, tablets and PCs).
ForgeCorvus

Re: Tin Can Cook

Post by ForgeCorvus »

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tin-Can-Cook-S ... 144&sr=1-1

Added to my wishlist.

I don't like to use the kindle for reference books as its a PITA to flick backwards and forwards
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
jansman

Post by jansman »

Mine came yesterday. Just had a flick through. Some great nosh in there! Just the job for me that.

I am a big fan of Jack Monroe. She has been there, and survived on little, and with a child too. She is currently raising money so that her book can be in every food bank in the U.K. Great idea.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Quill

Post by Quill »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:41 pm https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tin-Can-Cook-S ... 144&sr=1-1

Added to my wishlist.

I don't like to use the kindle for reference books as its a PITA to flick backwards and forwards
Aye, I'm normally of the same opinion but at £4 I was hard-pressed to say no.
jansman wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:09 am Mine came yesterday. Just had a flick through. Some great nosh in there! Just the job for me that.

I am a big fan of Jack Monroe. She has been there, and survived on little, and with a child too. She is currently raising money so that her book can be in every food bank in the U.K. Great idea.
She's brill, there's quite a few popular chefs who think that having a 20-ingredient meal is perfectly acceptable for a weeknight meal and most of her stuff is quick and easy to put together. I really like the hairy bikers stuff, but it's generally quite a lot of faff.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Received my copy today.

I'm amused and satisfied by the book, but found a few of the recipes rather silly....

Home made baked beans: Start with a can of baked beans and rinse off the tomato sauce under a tap. Then make some tomato sauce from a tin of tomatoes...

And later for a chicken curry: Start with a can of chicken in sauce and rinse off the sauce under a tap ( unless it's curry )...

And tomato soup.... Well, start with a tin of tomatoes and a tin of carrots...

She does a similar trick with a tin of minced beef and onions to make... Minced beef and onions with attitude.

These were not so much economic recipes as ways of jazzing up whats in tins already, assuming plenty 'o tins, just maybe the wrong ones.

Still I enjoyed the student cooking style and will be messing about with the recipes. Intrigued by sardines in batter.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong