Plants With a Purpose.

Read something good? Written something good? Link it, or copy it here!
Brambles

Plants With a Purpose.

Post by Brambles »

I got another book the other day, it was on my Christmas list, but didn't materialise. ;) so I bought it myself. It's called Plants with a purpose and it's written by one of my country heroes, Richard Mabey. It gives the old timey uses for an awful lot of native plants and also how to make and use them. From whittling different woods, to weaving grasses and other natural cordage, making dyes and pan scourers! Yet another lovely book from the man and worth having on the shelf.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Deeps

Re: Plants With a Purpose.

Post by Deeps »

Just ordered a copy on your recommend Brambles. More knowledge is always useful.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

I'm a bit of a history buff and love to know how things were done before the invention of the pan scourer, or dishwasher... :lol: Some things just need to be known :D
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

I'm into my history stuff too but being a boy its more warry stuff. :lol:
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

Cheers Brambles, thanks for the tip. Book ordered. I notice he does a foraging book, have you read this one and do you recommend?

Where we've moved to, there are sloes and these have been developing into a very nice sloe gin and I'm keen to do more with what's now in my plot, especially with turning apples into cider. I have a sweet edible which is producing well and plan to plant a few more Any recommendations would be good.

(I bought Food for Free and Plants with a Purpose)
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

His book Food For Free is, in my mind, the definitive British foraging book. I can recommend it as essential reading. I would recommend a good field guide as well as a companion as the drawings are not always clear. I would also get the Collins Gem version. Fits in the pocket and is great to take camping. :)
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Another of my favourite books is John Seymours Complete Book of Self Sufficiency. He goes into Cider making and if I recall he also lists good Cider varieties. A more modern one are Hugh Fearnely Whittingstalls books, I've not read them myself, but I know some members on here have them and could probably let you know.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Brambles wrote:His book Food For Free is, in my mind, the definitive British foraging book. I can recommend it as essential reading. I would recommend a good field guide as well as a companion as the drawings are not always clear. I would also get the Collins Gem version. Fits in the pocket and is great to take camping. :)
+ 1 to that.I've had my gem version for ten years. Well thumbed.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
tc556guy

Post by tc556guy »

Thanks for the referral. Tagged the book on Amazon to be included on my next book buying spree
*My views discussed on this forum are personal opinion and do not constitute information released in an official capacity*
General DeGaulle

Post by General DeGaulle »

Ordered a copy of this when this thread first appeared. Very pleased - this should be in every pepper's bookcase.