Audiobooks or reading?

Read something good? Written something good? Link it, or copy it here!
Stonecarver

Audiobooks or reading?

Post by Stonecarver »

I prefer audiobooks myself as you can do other stuff.Apart from saving my eyesight I can rip through quite a few every week.
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
omega man

Re: Audiobooks or reading?

Post by omega man »

I think that both have a place, I really like to enjoy audiobooks whilst driving but tend to settle down with a physical book (well Kindle paperwhite) at bedtime or to relax of an eve.
One issue I have with audiobooks is that if I don't like the 'readers' voice I just can't listen to it :(

OM
jansman

Post by jansman »

My late grandmother was a voracious reader all her life.She never owned a tv.,so she was never distracted from her books.Sadly ,towards the end of her life she developed Macular Degeneration.The RNIB set her up with audio books,which she listened to,but never really liked as much as paper ( as she once told me).

I like to listen to plays on the radio ( which is little like an audio book),and as stonecarver pointed out,enables other activity. I have a Kindle too.You know what though? I still prefer a book made of paper! A Kindle download is never the same as getting a new book. :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

My kindle has both stored on it. It has re-kindled my love of books. :mrgreen:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Fiction and other entertainment (in other words, stuff I'm unlikely to read more then once) goes on the kindle.
Anything I want to keep and/or re-read tends to be analog

Reference books need to be 'real tree' as you tend to go backwards and forwards a lot checking things

I'll play music when I'm doing something else, but I either miss half the details of a story or fluff the other task
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
piglet

Post by piglet »

I own a kindle but rarely use it as i prefer real books.

I bought an Audio book once and listened to it in the car, and quite enjoyed it even though the narrators attempts at various voices and accents were at times irritating.

I spend a lot of time in the car and these days make copies from the catch-up programmes like iplayer, which I put onto USB to listen to whilst driving.
ain't settlin'
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

A while ago I listened to a biography of Mao on audiobooks , something like six or seven cd's worth if I recall. Voiced by an American it was certainly useful for the pronunciations of the Chinese names although there wasn't an index where I could just look up a certain person if I was struggling to remember just who they were. They certainly have a place although I still favour paper books , if nothing else they don't need a functioning internet , power grid , charged batteries or whatever.
OperationPrep

Post by OperationPrep »

I mostly use audiobooks for commuting, which is around an hour a day total, so could get through an average length book in a couple of weeks at most. I like reading at lunch or in my free evenings during the week. If I do any travelling to visit family or friends (most weekends)I will usually read more than audiobook. I find that if I audibook too much I need to have a break from it, which is what i am going through currently.
Lone

Post by Lone »

Books preferably. I use a lot of reference titles, sometimes needing highlighted, or copied smaller or larger, depending on need, or study method - my own system of researching being based on Bruce Lee’s ‘Broken Rhythm’- which is when you combine various subjects together to gain the required details, instead of static study within the one subject, the latter usually forms patterns and therefore predictable..better to mix-it-up information-wise, makes others not able guess your next move - a bit like chess. In prepping, or anything to do with survival, is to vary your routines
Lone

Post by Lone »

Further to the above

I do have a disc containing a 100 Classic Book Collection for my Nintendo DS, that way I literally have a whole library on a small item that would slot into a jacket/bag pouch, which I think is able to be also charged by a small solar panel or manually.

No carrying about loads of books...but still having plenty to read