SpareOne Emergency Phone

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
SkyWatcher

SpareOne Emergency Phone

Post by SkyWatcher »

Just seen this and think it'd be a great piece of kit to have.......but again assuming you have mobile comms that work lol

http://spareone.com/spareone/spareone-emergency-phone

What does everyone think?
Area 11

Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Once the SHTF thousands of other people are gonna want the same as you. What do you think your chances are of getting it?.......
tom2tom

Re: SpareOne Emergency Phone

Post by tom2tom »

Ok i got to admit that's a pretty cool phone! And the the video really sells it lol!
Me all i am and all i want to be!
redskies

Post by redskies »

Hmm, handy, but, as you say, only if the mobile coms etc are working. Ours go down once or twice a year, including mobiles, local radio, and the 999 coms. When the power goes out, we have a phone that plugs in and will still work - that happens quite regularly too. OH is in the coastguard, so there's a radio there to use if necessary. And I think we'll end up getting a 'ham radio', just in case. Then if the mobile coms do go down, we've got something. Although getting a signal here can be .... interesting!

(Someone got lost on a few thousand acres of moor a couple of years ago. They had his signal no bother, but couldn't triangulate to find his location as there were only two masts!)
SkyWatcher

Post by SkyWatcher »

redskies wrote: (Someone got lost on a few thousand acres of moor a couple of years ago. They had his signal no bother, but couldn't triangulate to find his location as there were only two masts!)
Can't beat a good old OS map lol

That phone would be perfect for an EDC or a BOB. Just wonder how much more we'll have to pay when they finally come over here......
Area 11

Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Once the SHTF thousands of other people are gonna want the same as you. What do you think your chances are of getting it?.......
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

SkyWatcher wrote:
redskies wrote: (Someone got lost on a few thousand acres of moor a couple of years ago. They had his signal no bother, but couldn't triangulate to find his location as there were only two masts!)
Can't beat a good old OS map lol

That phone would be perfect for an EDC or a BOB. Just wonder how much more we'll have to pay when they finally come over here......

Here you go £44 delivered http://www.amazon.co.uk/SpareOne-V387D8 ... 050&sr=8-2
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

The info from the manufacturers makes it sound great, but I was watching BBC Click today, the technology programme, and they featured this phone - and there was quite a warning at the end. It relies on the G2 networks, which are all being switched off - so, as they said on the programme, the phone will probably last a lot longer than the network it relies on.

Please check, folks, because they were reporting from the tech show in Las Vegas.
SkyWatcher

Post by SkyWatcher »

Arzosah wrote:The info from the manufacturers makes it sound great, but I was watching BBC Click today, the technology programme, and they featured this phone - and there was quite a warning at the end. It relies on the G2 networks, which are all being switched off - so, as they said on the programme, the phone will probably last a lot longer than the network it relies on.

Please check, folks, because they were reporting from the tech show in Las Vegas.
Hmmm maybe better sticking to the old CB then lol
Area 11

Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

The only problem I can see is it depends on the cell network being usable. If a major incident takes place most people will not be able to use it as you have to be on the approved list. Also it would be taken out with a emp and possibly a large CME. CB Radio is a better idea but you must protect the cb by keeping in in a metal Container to protect it from an EM Pulse.
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
SkyWatcher

Post by SkyWatcher »

Hamradioop wrote:The only problem I can see is it depends on the cell network being usable. If a major incident takes place most people will not be able to use it as you have to be on the approved list. Also it would be taken out with a emp and possibly a large CME. CB Radio is a better idea but you must protect the cb by keeping in in a metal Container to protect it from an EM Pulse.
A small/medium sized faraday is on my to do list soon...honest!!
Area 11