USB CHARGE PORT PROBLEM FIX

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
shocker

USB CHARGE PORT PROBLEM FIX

Post by shocker »

Since adopting mobile digi devices I have found the micro USB charge sockets to be a common point of failure.

After many episodes of cables having to be propped at specific angles and total fails at the least opportune moment, I have started to use cables with magnetic plugs.

These plugs can be left in the socket and snapped by magnet to the lead as and when.
This way there is no wear on the connector pins from repeated plugging/unplugging, stress from pulls and the socket does not admit dust and other cr@p.

There seem to be two main types:
Twin pole for just charging, and
Multi pole for data and charging.

Like most things, you gets what you pays for. I have bought a few now, about £3 for basic twin pole and a fiver plus for data and charge ones.
The data cables and sockets are not always interchangable between brands. Also the data leads seem to have better magnets.

It's great not to have to worry about the cat doing snake killing practice and pulling the device off of the table, since the magnet will unstick first.

I will link to a couple on s popular auction site- it's not an advert and no connection to me. Just an illustration.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-in-1-Magne ... 635-2958-0

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/540-Magnetic ... 635-2958-0

Hope this is of some help to someone, but maybe other people aren't as clumsy as me
:roll:
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
Quill

Re: USB CHARGE PORT PROBLEM FIX

Post by Quill »

Is there much of a difference in charge speed?
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Beware....
I got a set of those.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Magnetic-Charg ... 07YZ2YKD2/
You leave the plug in the device and a snappy magnet connects the cable. For micro USB they are amazing.... BUT. I used one with USB 'C' ends and charged by phone with it and in the morning had a molten mass welded into the socket of my phone. Wrecked the phone. Others on amazon report similar instances with USB C
At least the one I used was not up to the kind of charging current used in USB C fast chargers.

Use them at your peril.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
shocker

Post by shocker »

Been using them on c type and micro for 3 months, no probs so far. Overheating sounds more an issue with fast charger than lead, though obviously a faulty connection won't help.

Not much of a reduction in charge speed, faster than induction at least.
I do keep the contacts clean using blutak though.

I'm not saying this system is the be all and end all, but like i started out, a solution to a problem. An expensive problem.

If you don't have the problem, don't use the solution!
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***