Lessons from a 100 hour power outage

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
rik_uk3

Re: Lessons from a 100 hour power outage

Post by rik_uk3 »

Well worth picking up some Hurricane lanterns. They will run about 30+ hours on a litre of paraffin and give out more light and heat than candles
(ebay item 283640574841 no connection to seller). B&Q sell paraffin for £2 a litre https://www.diy.com/departments/bartoli ... 116_BQ.prd

The OP has found fault with his solar charger, in winter you need bigger/more panels and one or two deep cycle batteries...charging from a car is expensive.

Well worth looking at 12v van light strips (ebay 174617572700 no connection to seller), this will light up a kitchen for cooking and its good on the battery (12v at @ 5w)

Little pocket radio like https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/p ... /271032236 2 AA batteries, lasts days much cheaper to run than draining a smart phone; you get music and news.

We were lucky had the storm but no power loss although it did bring down one of my ham radio dipoles, fibre glass mast broke a few minutes to fix so no big deal for us.

Keep safe all.
Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Oooh we used to have a hurricane lamp, was very handy but got lost in the move. I'll look into buying a replacement now.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

diamond lil wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:16 am Oooh we used to have a hurricane lamp, was very handy but got lost in the move. I'll look into buying a replacement now.
Bit more pricey but look at the Feuerhand Storm Lantern

Much better built than most of the China copies and a better wick holder / fuel cap less likely to leak et all
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Thanks Andy 8-) :mrgreen:
Our forecast for tomorrow is hill blizzards, heavy snow, and gale force winds. Here we go again :lol:
jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:30 am
diamond lil wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:16 am Oooh we used to have a hurricane lamp, was very handy but got lost in the move. I'll look into buying a replacement now.

Much better built than most of the China copies and a better wick holder / fuel cap less likely to leak et all
I’ll second that.The Chinese knock- offs have an unfortunate tendency to leak ; from new! I Have a Feurhand that is 32 years old and still going strong - and I use it regularly through Winter.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Glad you all came out the other end relatively unscathed and hope that the coming storm Barra doesn't inflict any further damage now that you're back up and running again.
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

The Feuerhand are good but bottom line is they are still a tin plate lantern and not worth three times the cost of a clone, I've got both so talk from experience, they are certainly not 'much better built' than the cheaper clones, the glass may be better quality but for standby lanterns go the clone route, three of them for the price of one Feuerhand.
Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

rik_uk3 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:14 am

The Feuerhand are good but bottom line is they are still a tin plate lantern and not worth three times the cost of a clone, I've got both so talk from experience, they are certainly not 'much better built' than the cheaper clones, the glass may be better quality but for standby lanterns go the clone route, three of them for the price of one Feuerhand.

I bought 3 blackspur branded China knock-offs for about £6 each and I'm down to one after 2 years of storage and very little use which considering they had a sticker on them claiming that they met British standards I'm somewhat dubious..

One sprung a leak around the base if you left it hanging it dripped round tye bottom seam ..

The other leaked badly from the filler and the cap fell to bits and the spring vanished in the grass

So far the third is hanging on in there but the wick is tubular Vs flat and gives less light out than the more expensive German competition

And as if by magic whilst topping up to take the following photos this one's caps gone the same way it's a sort of child proof lid that the inners jumped past the circlip some how ok it's fixable as it fell to bits on the work bench but not in the dark when your relying on it working and without some internal circlip / fine needle nose pliers

And look at the quality stamping on the loose flat rubber washer type seal..
Screenshot_20211207-180327.png
Screenshot_20211207-180334.png
The Feuerhand seal is built into a one piece cap at the top of the neck it seals unlike the China one which if tilted drips rather happily..

Then the light output side by side (both on same oil ((bartoline lamp oil)) ) both turned up to the point they just begin to smoke
Feuerhand left China right
Screenshot_20211207-180348.png
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:07 pm
rik_uk3 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:14 am

I bought 3 blackspur branded China knock-offs for about £6 each and I'm down to one after 2 years of storage and very little use which considering they had a sticker on them claiming that they met British standards I'm somewhat dubious..

One sprung a leak around the base if you left it hanging it dripped round tye bottom seam ..

The other leaked badly from the filler and the cap fell to bits and the spring vanished in the grass

So far the third is hanging on in there but the wick is tubular Vs flat and gives less light out than the more expensive German competition

And as if by magic whilst topping up to take the following photos this one's caps gone the same way it's a sort of child proof lid that the inners jumped past the circlip some how ok it's fixable as it fell to bits on the work bench but not in the dark when your relying on it working and without some internal circlip / fine needle nose pliers

And look at the quality stamping on the loose flat rubber washer type seal..

Screenshot_20211207-180327.png

Screenshot_20211207-180334.png

The Feuerhand seal is built into a one piece cap at the top of the neck it seals unlike the China one which if tilted drips rather happily..

Then the light output side by side (both on same oil ((bartoline lamp oil)) ) both turned up to the point they just begin to smoke
Feuerhand left China right

Screenshot_20211207-180348.png
My knock offs are black spur too. And they leaked the same way as yours.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Anyone have a source for replacement lantern glass?

One of my good ones interfaced with a hobnail boot.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar