If you think a bank's phone call might be a scammer instead

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Arzosah

If you think a bank's phone call might be a scammer instead

Post by Arzosah »

Just read this in Martin Lewis' newsletter. Please read all the way through, there's an interesting little bit about scammers "spoofing" a dialling tone so you think you're safe.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/ ... t-dial-15/
jansman

Re: If you think a bank's phone call might be a scammer instead

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:54 am Just read this in Martin Lewis' newsletter. Please read all the way through, there's an interesting little bit about scammers "spoofing" a dialling tone so you think you're safe.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/ ... t-dial-15/
Thanks for that.Just before I read this,Mrs J got a dodgy call from a financial services ‘company’. The above information is worth noting. Mrs J’s approach however was a little less sophisticated: She told the caller to “go forth and multiply “ - or words to that effect! :lol:

Anything that can beat these evil thieves is welcome.Thanks Arzosah.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

Thanks Arzosah!

I had a call a couple of weeks ago from a very persistent chap who said he was calling from BT Openreach saying there was a security problem with my internet and that he needed to talk me through how to fix it. I was instantly suspicious and said I'd call BT myself and he said 'but don't you want to sort out your security?' Yeah, well, the phone went down instantly at that point!

I googled it and BT know all about it: https://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/ans ... -do-i-know

There's been so many more scammers coming out of the woodwork since Covid started. It's really depressing.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Le Mouse wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:28 pm Thanks Arzosah!

I had a call a couple of weeks ago from a very persistent chap who said he was calling from BT Openreach saying there was a security problem with my internet and that he needed to talk me through how to fix it. I was instantly suspicious and said I'd call BT myself and he said 'but don't you want to sort out your security?' Yeah, well, the phone went down instantly at that point!

I googled it and BT know all about it: https://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/ans ... -do-i-know

There's been so many more scammers coming out of the woodwork since Covid started. It's really depressing.
We had that one a year or so ago.I played along just for sport.The caller asked for my account number,which I didn’t have to hand,and I commented that,”you are calling me.YOU tell me my name and address,as I think you are a scammer.” She offered to tell me the last four digits of my account number- bearing in mind I didn’t know it- and I laughed at her. Then she lost it,and started effing and jeffing at me :lol: :lol: I told her to “go away :lol: ” in so many words ,and the phone went down.I rang customer service at by straight away.They were excellent,they knew about it,AND there was no problem with our internet.They also blocked the number,whilst taking note of it.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Astonishing! If those people put as much effort into doing something genuinely productive, imagine how different things would be... I know I sound really old when I say that :shock:
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:38 pm Astonishing! If those people put as much effort into doing something genuinely productive, imagine how different things would be... I know I sound really old when I say that :shock:
Criminals don’t have to mug you or burglarise your home now. They can do it via your phone. There will always be evil people.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Still think Mrs A did one of the best to a talktalk scammer. We had left them about a month before the data breach... Well the phone call started with the

"Hello I'm calling from talk talk you have internet security problems blah blah "

She kept them on the phone she had to go get her laptop.... Oh it's upstairs back in a minute. Kettle on ....

Hello I'm here

Turn on your computer...

Oh crap the battery is flat I'll just go get the power supply its upstairs....

Tea made ....

Right it's powering on .... Oh it's doing a update I'll tell you when it's done... Oh it's at 5%. Veg prepped for dinner 22% mate.

She got dinner on in the time "it" got to 100%...

Oh it's needing me to restart it :lol:

Ohh it's saying install some security update I've clicked ok....... 1% 2%>>

By this point the guys getting twitchy......

After about another 10 minutes of folding clothes telling him the imaginary counter %

Right it's loaded

I need to you go to start .. settings... remote Access .....

Oh I can't find start ...

Oh it's bottom left...

Nope

Press the windows key...

Can't see it..

By now he's really revving up

Either side of tye space bar

Nope..

WHAT COMPUTER DO YOI HAVE !?

A leap frog
61quHjcEqIL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

He called her lots of names apparently 🤣
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

When I'm sure its a scam call I let them yap on for a bit then tell them they have a sexy voice and ask what type and colour underware (male or female caller) they have on...they usually hang up :)
Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.
Ara

Post by Ara »

My favourite scammers are the ones who begin with, "My name is ..... and I'm calling from Microsoft to tell you there's a problem with your computer." I've had them so often, I like to think up different ways of making them put the phone down before I do. My latest comment had the quickest reponse when I said "Oh, yes. You're going to tell me that my computer will stop working if I don't pay you lots of money." The answer: "Errr, no." Then the phone went down.
I had an email purporting to be from HMRC telling me I was due a tax refund which I knew was a scam because a) why would I have a tax refund when I've been retired for x number of years and haven't paid tax in all that time and b) they used an email address I don't use in my dealings with HMRC.
When you are retired, you have to take your fun where you find it.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I just wish everyone could be so savvy,and not get conned. It really saddens me when I hear of someone getting taken in by these parasites. :cry:

Robert Frost.

Me.