IronWarning

Fuel storage in car

Post by IronWarning »

Hi all,

Whats the best Fuel to store fire wish long term in a car
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Fuel storage in car

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Hi welcome to the forum would you please post an introduction in out new members section please:

viewforum.php?f=9

Best advice is to store an empty can that you can fill if needed...

Carriage of fuel in a car boot is not recommended at the best of times summer especially excessive summer heat can cause containers to bulge and rupture especially bid overfilled...

Petrol
especially obviously is a huge fire risk in an accident..

Metal explosafe cans are probably the safest option leaking fuel will burn BUT the can won't explode..

https://www.jerrycans.co.uk/product/rhi ... e-5-litre/

Or 10l

https://www.jerrycans.co.uk/product/rhi ... -10-litre/

Then you've got the issue of stale fuel you can get stabiliser solutions but best not to store it too long or use it regularly then refill with fresh...

But take care with the can and secure it so it can't fly about in an accident or slide across the boot and smash the top off

Then there's the legal storage limits and if a commercial
driver be it a courier or van driver carrying the rules get more complex
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
IronWarning

Post by IronWarning »

Sorry should of said for car EDU purposes of cooking/heating water
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

Hi iron warning, solid fuel such as good old hexi blocks or BCB dragon gel would be the way to go. Hexi probably burns a bit better but has distinct smell and eventually goes off. The dragon gel is really stable. You can also get little disposable burners for either or a more robust but expensive cookset like the bcb crusader.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Camping gas stove?
jansman

Post by jansman »

Use Hexi. Stinks like sh*t but works.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Smudge

Post by Smudge »

If its fuel for camping/cooking purposes I'd suggest making some "buddy burners" old tin can, corrugated cardboard and wax.

Once made they're good forever practically.

If its fuel for your vehicle, I can't help I'd suggest just keeping your tank topped up and an eye on the news.
If at first you don't succeed, excessive force is usually the answer.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

For car emergency use I still like the zesta therm as they were originally known the American mre flameless heater

https://evaq8.co.uk/flameless-ration-he ... -meal.html

In the winter I Chuck in a small gas stove more recently a jet boil copy

That bad winter 11 years or so back I got stuck in the M62 on the tops for 5+ hours due to the snow & a jackknifed hgv I'd left work about 4pm hoping for a Romantic meal with an old flame at the other end of the M62 where it never stops raining :lol: :tinfoil finally got to her house at 11pm ISH stinking of curry having had death stares off other motorists for getting my stove out near the driver's door boiled a meal up then about an hour later got a brew on.... Had a toast raised to the hgv driver a few cars back who raised his travel mug at me ... I had just unpacked my artic sleeping bag when the big wrecker recovery trucks passed up the hard shoulder I really expected to be spending the night in the car :lol:

IronWarning

Post by IronWarning »

That is the exact reason behind me asking Andy. I travel a lot of country roads or motorways with turn offs few and far between. Plus the usual breaks to s.west or up north
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

IronWarning wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:53 pm That is the exact reason behind me asking Andy. I travel a lot of country roads or motorways with turn offs few and far between. Plus the usual breaks to s.west or up north

Don't forget a empty 2 pint milk bottle :lol:

I got a fire maple jet boil copy a few years back for about £30 but can't find them cheaper than about £60 now