The looming electric / gas shortages...

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
izzy_mack

Re: The looming electric / gas shortages...

Post by izzy_mack »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:50 pm Like my dad was saying "your great grandmother had no electricity to the house just a gas fridge and a gas mantle lamp in the lounge and that was it! No electricity just s coal fire in the lounge and bed room for heating and single glazing ....

They survived happily enough The modern world had really made us soft used to houses like a sauna lighting on demand no draughts daily baths / showers
Having spend several months living in a caravan with no electricity or water, none of this bothers me as I know I can do it, especially as I now live in a cottage with private water supply that doesn't rely on electricity. I have a small calor gas cooker ( 2rings, tiny grill, small oven} and have got spare lpg for same. Also a wood stove which is unfortunately set in an old fireplace gap so I can't get a big soup pan on it but I can cook on the top with smaller pans and a kettle just fits. Plenty torches, both rechargable and loads of batteries, candles etc. I have camping stoves and fuel which I wouldn't use but intend to keep for family who aren't in my position.
I know I've had reason to be glad of my preps in the past and I think this winter will see me very glad that I'm a prepper
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Mr GB and I were discussing our memories of the rolling power outages of the early 70s As one of the fairly small number of 1970s families with a freezer his family developed a couple of basic rules for managing their frozen food. I repeat them here as they may be helpful to anyone else with a freezer.

1) Double bag everything in the freezer. This acts as extra insulation to give another few before defrosting and if the power stays out longer makes it much easier to clear up any unuseable dripping foods.
2) Only open the freezer during the first hour of the planned power on phase. This maximises the chance the food wil get down to temperature properly before the next outage and minimises damage during the outage.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

GillyBee wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:04 pm Mr GB and I were discussing our memories of the rolling power outages of the early 70s As one of the fairly small number of 1970s families with a freezer his family developed a couple of basic rules for managing their frozen food. I repeat them here as they may be helpful to anyone else with a freezer.

1) Double bag everything in the freezer. This acts as extra insulation to give another few before defrosting and if the power stays out longer makes it much easier to clear up any unuseable dripping foods.
2) Only open the freezer during the first hour of the planned power on phase. This maximises the chance the food wil get down to temperature properly before the next outage and minimises damage during the outage.

On top of that. If the power goes off cool the room down the freezer is in.. give it less of a temperature gradient...

Wrap the freezer top back and sides with anything to hand old duvets. Blankets sleeping bags bubble wrap what ever you have but remove it before turning back on

Keep space to a minimum. Got a gap drop In a 3/4 full plastic lemonade bottles of water to freeze will act as extra cold mass / cool blocks ..

As soon as the powers off sling a ice bottle at the top of the fridge and again wrap it up to keep it cool

If you know a planned outage is coming slap it on fast freeze and chill the fridge colder than normal to help it keep cool for longer too
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I lived through the miners strike and the 3-day week in a tower block, I was in my early 20s with two toddlers but really wouldn't want to do it again.
Great posts in here but I'm thinking it's ok having everything sorted in your own house, but outside influences will affect all of us. The biggest of which I think is that the govt haven't a bloody clue. Lack of leadership = chaos from the top filtering down.
I'n tired right now and can't think, but am sure there are many instances I could list once my brain comes back to life. As you are all saying, things just aren't that simple any more.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

diamond lil wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:52 pm I lived through the miners strike and the 3-day week in a tower block, I was in my early 20s with two toddlers but really wouldn't want to do it again.
Great posts in here but I'm thinking it's ok having everything sorted in your own house, but outside influences will affect all of us. The biggest of which I think is that the govt haven't a bloody clue. Lack of leadership = chaos from the top filtering down.
I'n tired right now and can't think, but am sure there are many instances I could list once my brain comes back to life. As you are all saying, things just aren't that simple any more.
Don't forget the media and their stupid headline drama none / twisted sensationalist truths

Last week saw something like TESCO'S filling stations no unleaded until end of October ... Turns out once read that about 3 of their adopted fro other firms or OLD petrol stations pumps didn't like the new E10 fuel and it killed the pump seals.. at that point I knew where it was going to go...

This wasn't the original article but this was the issue

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.expres ... tation/amp

So last Friday I topped my tank to the brim I fill it weekly anyway and it rarely gets below half a tank but I visited the particular station in the late evening where two pumps are on a adverse camber which in my case lets me squeeze another tenner in the tank .. having been off work 2 days this week Ive only done about 30 miles so still showing full :lol:

I need 10l for my rotorvator to tidy my plot for the winter but I'm not going to get anymore for now would probably get lynched for hording :lol: might get it midweek on my way to work in my work gear there's something about a bloke in filthy high vis clothing and rigger boots that makes people bite their tongue and keep their opinions / road rage to themselves

the last Mr angry in his suit who attempted to bully his way through in his German panzer vagon despite me having the right of way run back to his car and locked the door before nearly reversing into a wall.... he got out of his car beating his gums I just unfolded myself out of my little ford super mini I didn't even open my mouth the van full of builders behind me were wetting themselves with laughter :lol:

Medusa

Post by Medusa »

Daughter and partner popped round last night to look through our collection of camping stuff so they can try before they buy. Husband was on strict instructions that they could take anything including my "best" stove but that they could not take the calor gas bottle. I've got other stoves I can use, but we have not been able to buy another bottle for the last 12 months and have only been able to exchange, and it seems that is getting more difficult.
Growing old disgracefully!
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Medusa wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:38 pm Daughter and partner popped round last night to look through our collection of camping stuff so they can try before they buy. Husband was on strict instructions that they could take anything including my "best" stove but that they could not take the calor gas bottle. I've got other stoves I can use, but we have not been able to buy another bottle for the last 12 months and have only been able to exchange, and it seems that is getting more difficult.

Plenty (at the moment) on Facebook selling sites bit naughty but I won't tell if you won't ;). Even if it's not what you want you can swap between bottle types and sizes within calors rules.... I took a 7kg butane up.... Nope.... But you've got a 6kg propane. .. I'll swap for that he wasn't a happy agent ;)

If your struggling to refill depending on your area check out boat yards chandler's BATA farm shops plant hire firms ,b&q( and camp sites now it's slowing down they'll be happy of the sale)

https://www.calor.co.uk/gas-bottles/adv ... e-exchange

jansman

Post by jansman »

I never let my motor drop below half a tank.However,this week it’s been taken away by the insurance company for crash repairs ( not my fault). I let it run right down * just in case* they wrote it off,as insurance companies seem to like doing that. I should be getting it back next week,and I hope I can get some juice now! :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:16 am I never let my motor drop below half a tank.However,this week it’s been taken away by the insurance company for crash repairs ( not my fault). I let it run right down * just in case* they wrote it off,as insurance companies seem to like doing that. I should be getting it back next week,and I hope I can get some juice now! :lol:
Always the case isn't it when you let your guard down or something throws a spanner in the works over the usual normality ..

I walked past our local filling station yesterday they still had super unleaded and super diesel the amount that just drove in and drove out... If you NEEDED fuel that badly you'd have paid the £10 a tank full extra to keep mobile or at least put £15/ £20 worth in or so to tide you over :?

jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:22 am
jansman wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:16 am I never let my motor drop below half a tank.However,this week it’s been taken away by the insurance company for crash repairs ( not my fault). I let it run right down * just in case* they wrote it off,as insurance companies seem to like doing that. I should be getting it back next week,and I hope I can get some juice now! :lol:
Always the case isn't it when you let your guard down or something throws a spanner in the works over the usual normality ..

I walked past our local filling station yesterday they still had super unleaded and super diesel the amount that just drove in and drove out... If you NEEDED fuel that badly you'd have paid the £10 a tank full extra to keep mobile or at least put £15/ £20 worth in or so to tide you over :?
I do have my wife’s car if I cannot get fuel,BUT she insists on super unleaded in it ,so I may as well put it in my own tank :lol: :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.