The looming electric / gas shortages...

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Yorkshire Andy

Re: The looming electric / gas shortages...

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:56 am

I do have my wife’s car if I cannot get fuel,BUT she insists on super unleaded in it ,so I may as well put it in my own tank :lol: :lol:

You mean you don't borrow it and return it empty like most wives do :lol:

My last car (1.4 8v ) fiat run far better on the expensive stuff more poke and the mpg counter went up about 5mpg current car isn't bothered but it doesn't like the brandless budget fuel from the independent filling station it drinks like George Best on a stag do and runs like a bag of spanners (rough tick over lumpy
slow acceleration

obviously it's all to the bs /EN standards but it's lacking something I avoid the place now
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:04 am
jansman wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:56 am

I do have my wife’s car if I cannot get fuel,BUT she insists on super unleaded in it ,so I may as well put it in my own tank :lol: :lol:

You mean you don't borrow it and return it empty like most wives do :lol:

My last car (1.4 8v ) fiat run far better on the expensive stuff more poke and the mpg counter went up about 5mpg current car isn't bothered but it doesn't like the brandless budget fuel from the independent filling station it drinks like George Best on a stag do and runs like a bag of spanners (rough tick over lumpy
slow acceleration

obviously it's all to the bs /EN standards but it's lacking something I avoid the place now
I have noticed my MPG has dropped by an average of 3 miles since using the new E10 stuff. My journey/ driving style has certainly not changed,so it has to be the fuel. If E10 is meant to be more ‘eco’ friendly, then surely less MPG offsets any benefit to eco issues?
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Well it's a timely point for an update after the near miss with less than 450mw in reserve on Monday ....

Over the past week I've been upping blackout stocks

Added

A few pillar candle holders basically a big glass jar £8 each in B&m added bonus the wife likes them so they can go on the side board :lol: might grab another couple of pillar candles as well

Batteries lots more batteries need some more of the bigger C / D & 6v got piles of the AA / AAA flavour looked briefly at the battery storage trays £15 ish :lol: that's a lot more batteries ;) the celebration tub will remain the battery box to have

I got a 25 pack of white 8 hour glow sticks

A couple more battery Lanterns ..

I've added another 50w solar panel and a smaller usb Solar charger for power banks / phones et all and a extra leisure battery since one is very weak but still holding a charge for now...

This weekend I'm going to grab some more hot water bottles, pelleted wood cat litter ( wood gas stove/ Kelly kettle starter fuel) and Monday fill the fuel cans I'm almost out of "stored" fuel. The allotment keeps it rotated which is good

Food stocks are healthy but always room for more
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

jansman wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:39 am I have noticed my MPG has dropped by an average of 3 miles since using the new E10 stuff. My journey/ driving style has certainly not changed,so it has to be the fuel. If E10 is meant to be more ‘eco’ friendly, then surely less MPG offsets any benefit to eco issues?
Yes there's a definite logic to that argument. There's also an argument that as energy efficiency goes up consumption also increases .Thus if cars were to be more efficient people would be inclined to drive more rather than looking at alternatives. Just makes the question mudded and unclear as I see it. Unless limits of consumption are put in place very little is really achieved. Let each driver have say 100 gallons a year and let them feed it into something that does 50mpg or something that returns single figure consumption.
jansman

Post by jansman »

grenfell wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:02 am
jansman wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:39 am I have noticed my MPG has dropped by an average of 3 miles since using the new E10 stuff. My journey/ driving style has certainly not changed,so it has to be the fuel. If E10 is meant to be more ‘eco’ friendly, then surely less MPG offsets any benefit to eco issues?
Yes there's a definite logic to that argument. There's also an argument that as energy efficiency goes up consumption also increases .Thus if cars were to be more efficient people would be inclined to drive more rather than looking at alternatives. Just makes the question mudded and unclear as I see it. Unless limits of consumption are put in place very little is really achieved. Let each driver have say 100 gallons a year and let them feed it into something that does 50mpg or something that returns single figure consumption.
Limits to consumption will definitely have to be considered,( I think) in all areas. The fuel issues ,all fuels, are not going to ‘level out’,or ‘return to normal’. I feel it’s with us now. We shall have to Accept and Adapt ,as my dear dad used to say.

Robert Frost.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Perhaps should have been considered some time ago. Biggest problem as I see it is the constant fixation on growth. Fossil fuels have allowed a growth but leaving aside environmental impacts those resources are finite. You can't keep wolfing down the cake and expect there to be ever more cake left. Then those same economists seem to think we can just replace the oil with renewables and still carry on with that ever important growth. And the same economists don't see overpopulation as a problem , just more consumers to fuel that same growth. Just accept a stable low or no growth economy. But then politicians see that as a vote loser , and a lot of people have what could be called a fear of mitigation ie their living standards not rising or perhaps falling a little and will happily vote for someone promising cake.
Bit pessimistic this morning.
jansman

Post by jansman »

grenfell wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:35 am Perhaps should have been considered some time ago. Biggest problem as I see it is the constant fixation on growth. Fossil fuels have allowed a growth but leaving aside environmental impacts those resources are finite. You can't keep wolfing down the cake and expect there to be ever more cake left. Then those same economists seem to think we can just replace the oil with renewables and still carry on with that ever important growth. And the same economists don't see overpopulation as a problem , just more consumers to fuel that same growth. Just accept a stable low or no growth economy. But then politicians see that as a vote loser , and a lot of people have what could be called a fear of mitigation ie their living standards not rising or perhaps falling a little and will happily vote for someone promising cake.
Pessimistic? No.Realistic.

You hit the nail on the head grenfell. The economists don’t equate the mantra of ‘growth’ with the reality of resource availability.Much wants more.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

jansman wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:44 am
grenfell wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:35 am Perhaps should have been considered some time ago. Biggest problem as I see it is the constant fixation on growth. Fossil fuels have allowed a growth but leaving aside environmental impacts those resources are finite. You can't keep wolfing down the cake and expect there to be ever more cake left. Then those same economists seem to think we can just replace the oil with renewables and still carry on with that ever important growth. And the same economists don't see overpopulation as a problem , just more consumers to fuel that same growth. Just accept a stable low or no growth economy. But then politicians see that as a vote loser , and a lot of people have what could be called a fear of mitigation ie their living standards not rising or perhaps falling a little and will happily vote for someone promising cake.

You hit the nail on the head grenfell. The economists don’t equate the mantra of ‘growth’ with the reality of resource availability.Much wants more.
That's the way I see it .
Greed.
Fill er up jacko...
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Vitamin c wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:47 am
jansman wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:44 am

That's the way I see it .
Greed.
Growth supported by non-renewables is a bit like brewing.
People act like yeast,it consumes sugar (a finite resource, could be oil or coal). Until it either runs out of sugar (and stagnates ) or poisons itself in its own waste products
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
jansman

Post by jansman »

Great analogy there ForgeCorvus!

The situation isn’t unique to the UK though. It’s basically a buyer’s market. Less to go round,but yours if you have The Ackers. Energy crisis: How countries are dealing with rising prices https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60112068

Robert Frost.

Me.