Enlighten me about camping cookers

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
korolev

Re: Enlighten me about camping cookers

Post by korolev »

Thanks for all the info. Electric is probably out as we are having the whole place rewired when it's remodelled and the elctricity could be off at any time; we don't want to go bothering the builders saying "can you put the electric on so we can have a brew please".
We have a builder coming round later today so we will know more about what facilities will be available while they work.

Personally I'm still in favour of 3 months in an airbnb but it's all budget dependant; whilst we've had extensions built we've never had such major works requiring us to move out and have no idea how our budget stacks up.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Discuss with the builder about a temporary supply at least to keep the freezer running
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:33 am Discuss with the builder about a temporary supply at least to keep the freezer running
I agree.Some years ago we had a total rewire ( amongst other work) and the sparky sorted it so we could keep the freezers and fridge running whilst he was working. He only had to knock that circuit off for short periods. It was a situation he was used to.

You could use the situation as a SHTF practice drill. It would be an interesting exercise in seeing what you need or don’t need. Just a thought.

Regarding camping stoves,well that’s all been said I reckon.However,from a personal experience,I can make recommendations. About ten years ago,my dear wife decided upon a new gas oven. Stainless steel.four burners and a wok burner,with two ovens. That took some fitting in ,I can tell you. However, I sorted the kitchen,the plumber hooked it up when it was delivered. One of the ovens didn’t work! Well the suppliers offered to fix or replace - no problems. My wife ( rightly) wanted a new one. That wouldn’t be happening for 12 days. Soooo… we used two ‘ suitcase’ bistro stoves. They are heavy on gas,but with some creativity, we ate very well during that time.

You mentioned asking the sparky to switch the power on every time you want a brew. During powecuts here,we have used a Kelly kettle. You can boil water in four minutes. Awesome kit,and so simple! https://www.kellykettle.com/?gclid=EAIa ... gJDPvD_BwE
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Trust me the sparky will like a brew as will other trades ;)

Ply with tea and biscuits and you'll have a temporary supply and a tap that might dangle on a bit of pipe but if your providing drinks and food they will go the extra mile.. a bacon/ sausage sarny on a Friday morning or a few stubby 33cl bottles of French beer passed round last thing on a Friday afternoon will elevate you to God like customer status and the sparky might even learn to use a sweeping brush after :lol:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:08 pm Trust me the sparky will like a brew as will other trades ;)

Ply with tea and biscuits and you'll have a temporary supply and a tap that might dangle on a bit of pipe but if your providing drinks and food they will go the extra mile.. a bacon/ sausage sarny on a Friday morning or a few stubby 33cl bottles of French beer passed round last thing on a Friday afternoon will elevate you to God like customer status and the sparky might even learn to use a sweeping brush after :lol:
Very true indeed.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
korolev

Post by korolev »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:08 pm Trust me the sparky will like a brew as will other trades ;)

No worries on that score, Mrs K offers tea/coffee/squash every hour on the hour, often with biscuits. In cold weather she was sending them out mugs of soup.